Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell LaFerrari

StevenF1

Here's a few pics of my completed LaFerrari from revell, really enjoyed building this kit but i found some bits a bit tricky as I'm New to the modelling game, after learning a lot from this site I think it turned out pretty good but let's see what you guys think ?

post-14717-0-30523200-1416141562_thumb.j

post-14717-0-87159700-1416141645_thumb.j

post-14717-0-25192100-1416141775_thumb.j

post-14717-0-73672700-1416141983_thumb.j

post-14717-0-29645900-1416142116_thumb.j

post-14717-0-64721300-1416142278_thumb.j

Yeah on the revell model the doors are moulded and it's just a panel you have to add in

Ahh......I see. I built the tamiya version and the doors were operational so I was thinking, or assumed rather, that it was the same. I had trouble getting mine to align correctly after shooting the clear (which kinda sucks when you have to make adjustments at that stage!!).

Anyways, the more I look at yours....the more I like it. Great job.

Thanks for the good comments everyone, quick question I hope someone could answer? I put the decals on after I had finished painting and left them at that now should I have gave it a clear coat after the decals to seal them? Wasn't sure as I didn't want it shiny, this maybe sound stupid but can you get a flat clear coat from a rattlecan?

Thanks for the good comments everyone, quick question I hope someone could answer? I put the decals on after I had finished painting and left them at that now should I have gave it a clear coat after the decals to seal them? Wasn't sure as I didn't want it shiny, this maybe sound stupid but can you get a flat clear coat from a rattlecan?

Why would that be a stupid question?

Yes you can get a flat or dull coat from a spray can. Testors, Tamiya and Mr. Hobby are some of the first few that come to mind that I know make them in both lacquer or acrylic. What kind of paint did you use for the Matte Black body? You should do a test run on some scrap decals if you have any. That is if your certain that you want to clear over them. Do you see the "border" of the decal or some discoloring that is making you think about it?

I don't always clear over decals on some of my builds. Depends on a few things I guess. Age of the kit, how many or how they lay down are a few reasons. I always try to trim as close as I can to the print and usually use a good solvent like Micro Set or Sol. I hope I don't regret it in the long term but so far so good for me. I know a lot of guys who always clear over decals and would suggest you do the same. So I'm sure you'll get a few different opinions. But either way I can't imagine it's ever a stupid question.

Why would that be a stupid question?

Yes you can get a flat or dull coat from a spray can. Testors, Tamiya and Mr. Hobby are some of the first few that come to mind that I know make them in both lacquer or acrylic. What kind of paint did you use for the Matte Black body? You should do a test run on some scrap decals if you have any. That is if your certain that you want to clear over them. Do you see the "border" of the decal or some discoloring that is making you think about it?

I don't always clear over decals on some of my builds. Depends on a few things I guess. Age of the kit, how many or how they lay down are a few reasons. I always try to trim as close as I can to the print and usually use a good solvent like Micro Set or Sol. I hope I don't regret it in the long term but so far so good for me. I know a lot of guys who always clear over decals and would suggest you do the same. So I'm sure you'll get a few different opinions. But either way I can't imagine it's ever a stupid question.

I used a spray called hycote which is pretty cheap and gave a good finish but I don't think they do a clear flat spray so will need to do a test run first like you said with another brand. I always have trouble with the decals, I'll tell you the method I use, I first brush a little humbrol decal fix on the part then soak decal in water and apply then brush decal fix over it and dry with a hairdryer for a few seconds. That's the best results I've had but it's not the best as the decal fix leaves a shine around the decal, I've since seen mr mark softer and setter which I'm thinking of trying?

Thanks again

Good job, it looks killer in all black. As for some suggestion, if you are going to matte clear it, try gloss clear on the roof, that would definitely pop up the whole look, heh?

Thanks

I always try to keep the whole car the same now as I ruined the revell 458 Italia, I sprayed it gloss white and masked off the body and coated the roof gloss black but the black seemed to have got under the masking tape and left thin strands of black on the White, I think it was the cheap and nasty masking tape I used but I'm always hesitant to try again lol but I do agree it would look far better gloss on the roof

Thanks guys

Edited by StevenF1