Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photos from the Birmingham Classic 2009

Zoom Zoom

It was a fantastic show, Kudos to the Birmingham gang! I had a great time yesterday, my voice departed on Friday night and late in the day Saturday I realized (and my friends agreed) that I sounded and awful lot like Marge Simpson :blink:

There were some great deals in the vendor area, Norm came down from Replicas and Miniatures, and this may become an annual thing for him since this show and the NNL East aren't so close in the calendar anymore.

There were tributes to departed modelers; in the past 6 months we've lost Dan Morgan, Chris Louden, and Lee Baker who were all a big part of the NNL's, especially in the south.

Three of our ACME members won awards; Bill Cunningham won best in show, top fifteen, and "Tinman's Choice" for his incredible scratchbuilt Maserati Birdcage. Paul Grala won the Chris Louden memorial "Best Mopar" award for his '71 Barracuda, and Harrison Siegrist won Best Junior for his 427 Cobra.

It was great to catch up with old friends, and Tommy May was taking photos for Model Cars Magazine, he shot my '57 Jaguar D Type LeMans winner.

Next year's themes are "Shorties and Forties", which I assume are short track racers and cars from the '40's.

Birmingham Classic 2009 photos by Bob Downie

IMG_5682-vi.jpg

IMG_5710-vi.jpg

IMG_5676-vi.jpg

IMG_5651-vi.jpg

IMG_5661-vi.jpg

Hi Bob, great pictures on text on the Birmingham show, one the around I've been. I would like to retunrn to it someday. As always, Bill bringing the best among the best, send my regards to him.

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Thanks for posting pics Bob, always good to see you there. At least you weren't acting like Maggie Simpson! ;)

Simon, hope to see you back in Alabama sometime.

P.S.

Not to hyjack Bob's thread, but here's a few my wife and I shot...

One of Ken Hamilton's great dioramas

IMG_0099-vi.jpg

Chuck Easton's '51 Kustom Chevy. Probably my fav of the show. Why it didn't get a top 15 is beyond me.

IMG_0128-vi.jpg

Most interesting use of '57 Chevy fins I've ever seen.

IMG_0142-vi.jpg

Painted graphics on a replica of Richie Evan's Camaro. Built by Frank Bennet.

IMG_0144-vi.jpg

Our table fiasco had my head spinning all weekend. :D

IMG_0213-vi.jpg