Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any suggestions on a problem with Duplicolor I'm having..??

I'm using Duplicolor Brilliant Black on an Autocar truck I'm rebuilding. See Autocar rebuild in model trucks section. On certain parts, no matter how much prep work I do, I run into problems. the only parts cooperating are the cab and bumper. I stripped/primed/sanded(you know the drill) everything. However, the hood top section keeps getting these spiderweb cracks, like a windsheild that's been hit, and on the fenders, the paint runs away from the edges. The hood is the butterfly style as truckers refer to it. Where you open it upwards from each side. It's 3 separate pieces. I have a spare hood top, but I want to avoid using it. At least there aren't too many rivets to worry about sanding off.

This is what I did so far, so you get the picture. I stripped it with POLLY S ELO(easy lift off). Unfortunately, that does leave the cracking effect in the plastic itself. I sanded it smooth, and then applied Testors Primer. In the past, I've Duplicolor over Testors primer, hardware store/walmart primer and never had a problem. Or is it the Black. Any comments, even if I totally screwed up, feel free. This is the only thing holding up the final product. Thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Duplicolor a laquer? Seems like you have done it before, but I wouldn't use it over an enamel primer. I'm almost sure the compatibility (or lack thereof) is the problem. I always use Testors enamels throughout, no problems and no surprises, except for my own screw-ups of course... :roll:

Wow, I'm glad I got a response so quick. I feel silly, but the knowledge was worth it. :oops: I honestly never knew it was a laquer, but I know now. :oops: Thanks for your help and honesty. It was worth it. I should've known something as basic as not mixing paint types. I knew I screwed up somewhere. I should've used their primer too. By the way, thanks also for warning me that the cracks might not show up for awhile.

I always use Testors enamels throughout, no problems and no surprises

Testors are my favorite paints. I should've stuck with them. I still can't believe I had this brain fart. I should've known Duplicolor was a laquer. Oh well, I do have spares. I guess I just got excited to see this truck coming back together. I built it 10 years ago, and after moving a few times, I figured it was time to restore it.

I keep it in the family whenever possible. Duplicolor primer with Duplicolor paint, Tamiya primer with Tamiya paint and so on. I totally gave up on Testors products some years back.

My default primers are Plastikote for general use but use mainly Duplicolor, Tamiya, Sanyo Gunze's Mr. Surfacer for all my body and fender work.

Bob

I once got the spiderweb carcking you mention but it came out a year after I painted the car and the problem was that I was using Lacquer touch-up paint over an aerosol primer. Once I switched to quarts of unthinned primer, thinned out and airbrushed I have almost never had any paint problems.

Of all my builds, this was my favorite, and I hated the idea of a crummy paint job, so I stripped it down this morning. The Polly S Easy Lift Off didn't chew up my plastic this time like it osmetimes did in the past. The parts have been prepped and primed. I will be airbrushing Testors Gloss Black as the color. I'm throwing away the Duplicolor Black. It doesn't have the nice spray I've come to expect from the Duplicolors I used before. Even with my mix up, it just didn't seem to lay right, and I'm finding that the test parts I sprayed are looking much better with the Testors Black. Hence the change. Oh well, the original color was Testors Classic Black anyway, but I couldn't find any, so this was the closest thing. Thank you all so much. I take pride in my work, although it couldn't compete with the builds I've seen here, and I hated knowing it wouldn't turn out.

By the way, here she is before stripping. The cab only had one coat. It and the bumper were the only things that looked right as far as no cracks in the paint.

latestprogress003.jpg

This mock up was just to get an idea of how it would look. the other pic was as far as I got, although the cab is the only part that wasn't finished yet, just there for reference.

latestprogress004.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

Hey everyone. I have it repainted, and almost finished. It isn't perfect, but not bad for the first paintjob in 10 years. It gave me a chance to use some stripes I'vw been wanting to use, I only have the bumper done so far. Thanks to all of you again for your help, advice, and setting me straight. I still have a few details left, just thought you'd like to see it.

DSC00033.jpg

I highly recommend Duplicolor's own primer when using their paint (Wow! There's a novel idea!). It's an excellent fine grained primer, available in several colors and absolutely compatible with the paint. While Duplicolor goes over Krylon primer just fine I've had adhesion problems with that combination several times in the past. Such as, when I trim the Bare Metal Foil and remove the excess it removes some paint with it. Now I use Duplicolor primer under Duplicolor and Krylon primer under Krylon.