Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mirrors

Being new to modeling I am having trouble figuring out how to attach side mirrors. I have one model that the mirror housing is painted and a crome mirror to be glued inside at some point. And I have another project that the mirrors are chromed. How are these best attached to not mess up the paint job? If I try to scratch a place to glue to then I probally will have to touch up the paint causing a small place that I will have a brush spot that will stick out like a sore thumb. And if I glue them to the paint I fear the paint will run in that area. Any help will be appreaciated. Thanks Heavy D :?:

well you could attach them with future floor wax, or clear laquer or even with elmers white glue. problem with all those is that while you wont see the attachment point, the attchment wont be very sturdy either.

what i usually do is drill a pinhole into the mirror base and another into the body where i want the mirror to mount and then put a pin (little piece of brass rod) into one and stick it to the other using superglue or epoxy. i often make the hole in the piece to be attached a bit bigger than the pin so i can move it around a bit to get it angled correctly. epoxy is better in that case because its sticky enough to hold something but not as instantly permanently sticky like superglue.

hope that helps; hope i understood your question correctly.

2 part 5 minute epoxy. Devcon i think is the typical brand but local hobby shops often have similar stuff that is house branded and cheaper. either seem to work fine. they are clear when mixed and ive added color by adding black india ink or clear red, blue, yellow etc paint in small quantities. for a mirror probably black is best because it will look like a gasket.