Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Official 2014 "All the Rest" Community Build-Extended to April 31st

mustang1989

Danny:Thanks for your comments on the cockpit. Your Batman and cycle IS AWESOME!!!! The shading detail is right on and the paint work is just as good. I'll tell you it is a blast having builds like this in here to shake things up from the norm. It's very entertaining and interesting at the same time. Thank you for being a part of this build again Dan! We still have 4 1/2 months left until the deadline so if youre feeling froggy grab another kit and join in. Let me know which pic you would like to use for the intro post.

Thank you, Joe. I may end up contributing something else before the deadline, but I think my next project will be a model car.

Please use the fifth photo from my post in the intro post. Thanks!

Thank you, Joe. I may end up contributing something else before the deadline, but I think my next project will be a model car.

Please use the fifth photo from my post in the intro post. Thanks!

Hell build it in here! I'll get right to work on that photo pal!

Thanks mate the Harley is a maisto which is being rebuilt and repainted and the trailer is scratch built I will hopefully show pics tomorrow

Looking forward to it Brayden.

I had originally planned to work on a car model next, but as I was looking through my stash, none of my car kits were really calling out to me.

As I continued to look around, my eyes fell on this:

10155323p.jpg

The SA-17 Rapier Zephyr from Kotobukiya's Frame Arms series.

Frame Arms is a series of original designs, all based around a gimmick the manufacturer calls the Frame Architect:

10092892a2.jpg

The Frame Architect comes pre-assembled in the kit box...

10155323n4.jpg

...but I really wish it wasn't. It has gaps and sprue scars all over it, so I have to disassemble it so I can clean it up before painting. Fortunately, it doesn't come glued, so I just have to get a knife in between the parts to get them separated.

I don't have any of my own photos,yet, but at this point I'm just using the cement-weld technique to glue the parts and fill seams. When the cement dries, I will sand off the excess cement to hopefully leave a smooth surface.

I think I will paint this similar to the gray low-visibility scheme used on some modern combat aircraft.

Edited by Danny Lectro

Thanks for the warm welcome guys here is what I am building I saw it the other night and had to make something similar hope you guys like it long way to go yet

post-13845-0-75678200-1413194420_thumb.j

Edit: bad spelling

Edited by Pim

This'll be a new spin on the build roster Danny. Lookin' forward to see you work your magic here. BTW I've got your pic in the intro post.

Thank you, Joe.

I also have to thank you for starting this community build project. You and the other contributors have helped to get me out of a slump that lasted far too long.

In my last update I had the fuselage halves together. What I didn't show you were the nasty gaps and poor fit between the halves.......

Recentpics003_zps13c607d3.jpg

After sanding, alot of the detail got whisked away like panel lines and rivets. I re-riveted the nose area using small drops of super glue applied with the end of a needle with the point cut off.

Rivetsandpanellines001_zps5c397831.jpg

This is my first ever attempt at something like this because usually a kit as crappy as this one goes in the trash can and I buy something like a Tamiya or Hasegawa offering thats alot better quality. I'm sticking with this now soley to improve modeling skills that I wont try on my really detailed builds.

Then there's the stretched sprue to replace the panel lines that were sanded off.

Rivetsandpanellines003_zpscc3c26fe.jpg

Installed they look something like this............

Rivetsandpanellines_zps3cb6e7a4.jpg

Don't go too hard on me as, again, this is my very first time trying something like this.

Okay, so this lump is a basic boat shape.

Once it gets to the "leather-hard" stage, I'll be able to shave it down smoother.

Then, I'll be able to form plastic panels around it and somesuch.

Maybe it's more of a speedboat shape? I don't know.

I'll have to think of a name. Maybe I'll just take a Forrest Gump and brush paint "Jenny" on it. Or "Gwen" :D

post-13841-0-91221500-1413590072_thumb.j

Joe: That is some dedication, right there. Looking very good, especially so knowing that you are new to using this technique.

Miles: Very interesting. I look forward to seeing more.

Brayden: Looking forward to seeing more of your Harley and trailer as well.

I have a pic of the little bit I've done on this build. I hope this posts properly, I'm posting from a tablet right now, and the image tags don't always work with it.

1502405_10203668205083731_61046433159974

I have broken down the Frame Architect and fixed up most of the seams. I am also looking to see what other sub-assemblies can be put together in advance. Unfortunately, some of the outer armor bits have to assembled around the frame, whichwill make seam removal and painting harder. I will see if any of those tricky sub-assemblies can be put together and then modified to slip into the frame after being glued, puttied and painted.

The sub-assembly on the upper left hand corner of the cutting mat is the mecha's flight pack, and yes, it does look like a caricature of a drone aircraft, particularly like an MQ-9 Reaper UAV...
MQ-9_Reaper_CBP.jpg
... but with a jet engine in place of the prop.

Yes, I think this is stupid. I don't know how something with such tiny wings and one tiny jet engine could provide enough lift and thrust for a 50+ foot tall giant robot.

I have a 1/144 scale B-2 stealth bomber somewhere in my stash, I want to see if it is a good size to make a better flight pack for the mecha. I would block off the cockpit windows, and perhaps try to beef up the jet engines.

Maybe I'll finish up the original flight pack and display it as some kind of drone wingman for the mecha.

Edited by Danny Lectro

MIles:Now that's what I wanted to see. This creation in its rawest form. Looking forward to seeing where you go from here.

Danny:Good start and the pic turned out fine I see. It will be interesting and cool to watch what you do in regards to a B-2 stealth bomber outfit here. Keep it coming.

Everybody:Well this thing hasn't kicked my tail yet. LOTS of work to make this thing into a model I'll tell you!

I managed to get the lower center wing secion glued in after fighting yet more fit, alignment and seam issues. I also trimmed an ounce of flash off of the upper wing assys and primed them and the lower center wing section in black (I wasn't at that stage yet when I took the pic below but the lower got painted black too) before applying a THIN coat of zinc chromate green to simulate a shadowed effect.

Wingzipup001_zpsbbeb460f.jpg

Wingzipup002_zps438d773c.jpg

and after a buttload of sanding, cutting and alignment I finally got the upper wing sections glued in. Still alot of work to do here as Revell made the upper and lower section into two more pieces than they needed to. I've got to make the air intakes that go int those gaping holes look like part of the wing with no seam line. Jeez!!!!!!

Wingzipup_zpsdd1c6e46.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Work all night, sleep during the day and all this happens!

Looking good folks.

I received some PE in the mail so I pulled this one down off the shelf and went at it with a vengence.

DSCF5235_zps99acd52a.jpg

DSCF5236_zpsb13e247f.jpg

DSCF5237_zps36098b69.jpg

DSCF5238_zpsc4e69fd1.jpg

DSCF5239_zpsc4e93e46.jpg

This is the Tamiya Tiger I, "Ausfuhrung Afrika" . From the box it most closely resembles a Tiger fron sPzAbt 504 which was the second Tiger Battalion in Tunisia. The famous Bovington Tiger, #131, now starring in "Fury", was from that battalion. Since there is a wealth of references I am building Tiger 131.

All the cables I made myself from copper wire and aluminum tube. Fittings are Eduard PE, white styrene is also scratch.

G