Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've been working on this build for a little while now. It's the 2010 movie version of the A-Team Van. I started with the Ertl A-Team Van kit. I replaced the front molded springs with wire and will be scratching some new rear leaf springs as well as using a better 10-bolt rear end. I am still modifying the kit dog house and dash to more accurately represent the correct year. The interior of the movie van is different from the TV van in that there is diamond plate in the back, a couple of tool boxes, and spare tires. The interior walls are covered with a diamond pleat patter which I'll be replicating with Plastruct tread plate. The body of the kit is modified in that I added bracing to the front doors like later models. There is a different grille guard/bull bar which I scratch built (there will be a different light bar on the top too). I filled in the holes for the kit lights, modified the rear spoiler to be more accurate. I also added 2 additional sunroofs. These were added for the movie mainly for lighting purposes. I cut the back doors open to show off the interior. I recently got the materials needed for hinges and will be taking on that challenge soon. Oh, and I put windows in the back doors (not pictured). I appreciate any feedback and encouragement you guys have. This project has taken on a life of its own (imagine that! :D )

Thanks for looking

file-1.jpg

file-2.jpg

SDC12546.jpg

SDC12544.jpg

file.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That looks really good so far! Do you have any details on how the front nudge bar should look?

I made a resin one in 1:32 scale as a slot car which leans and steers around corners, I left the spotlights off because I thought they'd break if the van rolls over but I'd like to make a nudge bar

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are some updates on my van.

Here are the brass hinges I made for opening the back doors:

IMG_0103_zps021bc7c6.jpg

I scratchbuilt new leaf springs:

IMG_0107_zpsc4b0454a.jpg

I made skirts for the seats using masking tape and aluminum foil. I also added pedestals to mount them:

IMG_0110_zps7c4eaca3.jpg

More work on the dash and doghouse. Putty, sand, prime, repeat.

IMG_0111_zpsbbd961a0.jpg

Here are the door panels with arm rests. I am using the back side of Plastruct tread plate for the interior diamond pleating.

IMG_0115_zpscdb161dd.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Chris

I'm in awe at what you've done so far. I used an A-Team van to build an '85 GMC my daughter had and din many of the things you've done to up the look of it. I did the dash and doghouse similar to what you did. Nice job on that!

The hinges were my downfall and in the end figured I should have done them out of brass as you did. Please show plenty of photos mounting them!

I also built up interior panels using plastic strips .. this is almost like watching my van come together! :lol:

It's all looking good!

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement.

The plan for the hinges is that once I get them positioned, I'll solder them to a larger piece of brass and glue that to the body.

These vans are like "rolling" dioramas. It's hard not to open them up. I just hope I can pull it all off. My goal is to have it done for NNL East in April.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update. Finished the dash/doghouse. Scratched the radio. Drilled holes for cup holders! Few switches to the right of the gauges. Little bit of bare metal to dress it up.

23C99B29-B372-40BC-B419-2A24C159C2C3-204

Edited by revshag

Chris, Excellent work so far! I'v always been a big fan of the A-Team although I admit I haven't seen the 2010 movie yet.

BTW, is that a Mork & Mindy Jeep you made into Daisy's jeep in the background of a couple of the pictures?

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t