Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will GM's problems ever end?

Here is a story from a few weeks ago, GM has decided to save everybody the trouble of having to check to see if their vehicle has been recalled by recalling every vehicle they ever made.

http://autoblopnik.com/2014/05/27/general-motors-recalls-every-car-theyve-ever-made/

LMAO even as a joke (as that's what its ment to be) is pretty BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH funny.

joe brown. what maintenance problems do you have with the modern cars. I work on all of mine and they are pretty easy. only vehicles I have problems with is the compacts because its hard to get big hands in the tight spaces. I hate changing the back spark plugs on the newer hemi's in the rams.

Here is a story from a few weeks ago, GM has decided to save everybody the trouble of having to check to see if their vehicle has been recalled by recalling every vehicle they ever made.

http://autoblopnik.com/2014/05/27/general-motors-recalls-every-car-theyve-ever-made/

Wow, they're finally going to address that trans issue I had in my 1979 El Camino. Whew, I feel better now.

This is a problem of bankruptcy, or rather a company that should have gone through it . Chrysler did this and produced a lot of junk through the eighties with there fair share of recalls. Economic turmoil effects the quality of the product and the people producing it. Without getting into politics, there is no such thing as to big to fail. Failure is just that, time to restructure or cease to exist,

joe brown. what maintenance problems do you have with the modern cars. I work on all of mine and they are pretty easy. only vehicles I have problems with is the compacts because its hard to get big hands in the tight spaces. I hate changing the back spark plugs on the newer hemi's in the rams.

I have no problems with my saturn forsay just typical stuff that needed replacement, I love how I watched A Certified Dealership scratch their heads and 3 (what were supposed to be mechanics) scratched their heads and stared under my hood lookin like monkeys humpin hyena's

30 minutes later only to come back and tell me they could not change the oil on my supercharged car because they would have to remove things and the supercharger, I Told him and his service guys they were a bunch of idiots then!

Needless to say I had to change my own oil !! I will from now on too!! all that had to be done was remove (2) 10 mm screws that held a waterneck, to move it out of the way to gain access to get under the eaton supercharger to change the cartridge oil filter.

Did i also mention the people at the service counter kept stalling my standard shift saturn the guy had to have me pull the car around

know exactly what your talking about with big hands in tight spaces B)

I had a 96 Chevy Corsica. Just something to go back and forth to school with. During the year that I had it, the transmission went out, three window switches quit working, and it overheated a lot. I had to keep two gallons of coolent in the backseat just in case. Later that year, I bought a 96 Chevy C1500 as that was my favorite body style. Well, the transmission went out on it as well. A few weeks later, both door handles broke and the passenger window switch quit working. I seem to recall that the 96 models that were coming out that year had the same problems. I can't remember if there was a recall for these particular year models or not. I ended up giving the truck to my brother as an early birthday present as I was fed up with trying to fix the blasted thing almost every week.

When the decision making process is done by bean counters and corporate politicians, one can expect this kind of thing.

I know I used to work for them.

We had 5 GM products in the family and we replaced all when they were up for renewal....

'nuff said.

Edited by Luc Janssens

The recall Problems aren't just GM"S cars But if you would look on line Ford has recalled a lot of different cars and trucks as well as has Toyota and Chrysler. Now it's just my Opinion here but when parts are made in China what do you expect? They poisoned Pet food, Put lead paint on toys, and Now the U.S.. is going to send Chicken to be processed there to? Beware of those Mc Nuggets they maybe coming from china!

look into replacing timing belts. those suck!

GM has been peddling junk for the last forty years. It started with them not taking the subcompact segment seriously, writing it off as unprofitable. (Ford did the same initially too; one of HFII's famous comments was "minicars, miniprofits"). Rusty Vegas followed by perpetual clouds of blue smoke, Chevmobiles, X-cars with dead-last technology (beam rear axles, pushrod engines with carburetors, four-speed manual transmissions), overpriced J-cars that all looked alike, the "sticker shock" that accompanied them into the showrooms, Buick V6 installations that were overmatched by the weight of the cars in which they were installed, diesel engines that didn't last, Pontiac Fieros built out of the parts bin, Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles, and Buicks that were basically Chevrolets with a few added plastic trim parts and stand-up hood ornaments, and so on. Yes, a lot of these were a long time ago. But each major blunder creates a lost generation of customers, as most of those people didn't come back. As parents, most of them probably wouldn't co-sign on their childrens' car loans for GM products either, creating another lost generation. And in general, they probably poor-mouthed GM to anyone who listened. GM is running out of generations of customers to lose.

GM has been peddling junk for the last forty years. It started with them not taking the subcompact segment seriously, writing it off as unprofitable. (Ford did the same initially too; one of HFII's famous comments was "minicars, miniprofits"). Rusty Vegas followed by perpetual clouds of blue smoke, Chevmobiles, X-cars with dead-last technology (beam rear axles, pushrod engines with carburetors, four-speed manual transmissions), overpriced J-cars that all looked alike, the "sticker shock" that accompanied them into the showrooms, Buick V6 installations that were overmatched by the weight of the cars in which they were installed, diesel engines that didn't last, Pontiac Fieros built out of the parts bin, Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles, and Buicks that were basically Chevrolets with a few added plastic trim parts and stand-up hood ornaments, and so on. Yes, a lot of these were a long time ago. But each major blunder creates a lost generation of customers, as most of those people didn't come back. As parents, most of them probably wouldn't co-sign on their childrens' car loans for GM products either, creating another lost generation. And in general, they probably poor-mouthed GM to anyone who listened. GM is running out of generations of customers to lose.

Do not forget the 200 hundred series turbo trans put in the full size line-ups in the 70's.

Do not forget the 200 hundred series turbo trans put in the full size line-ups in the 70's.

Ah, the substituted parts! Didn't the Buick GN have a 150 series TH? Basically a Chevette transmission. My mom had trouble getting keys made for her Chevette because it was built near the end of the model year, with whatever they swept up off of the assembly plant floor. Funny, isn't it, that they always ran out of Oldsmobile or Buick engines and subbed Chevy engines. They never ran out of Chevy engines and substituted Cadillacs...

When you have "car people" running car companies, you get good, interesting cars. When you have professional "managers" running car companies, you get second-rate, soulless cars.

Second-rate, soulless cars are perfectly fine for most consumers, or so the corporate wisdom goes...though they don't put it in exactly those words.

Marketing is perceived to be what actually SELLS anything...not the ACTUAL WORTH of a given product. Determining the actual worth of a given product would take some knowledge, research, critical thinking and effort on the part of the consumer, and those are not part of the average consumer profile. Average consumers buy what they're told to buy by marketing.

if you spend efficiently enough on marketing (and dress some of it up as " factual information" ) so the theory goes, you can peddle the most mediocre junk to the majority of average consumers.

I haven't had any problems with my Chevys, but then I don't have 5 pounds of junk hanging from my key ring which is what I've been told is the real problem. But then again maybe they could have left the switch on the steering column where it worked fine for decades.

I haven't had any problems with my Chevys, but then I don't have 5 pounds of junk hanging from my key ring which is what I've been told is the real problem. But then again maybe they could have left the switch on the steering column where it worked fine for decades.

This specific recall (basically all Camaros made since 2010) has nothing to do with 5 pounds of junk hanging on a keychain. The recall is because the position of the ignition switch is such that the driver's knee can accidentally hit it and switch it to off. I don't know what the fix for that would be, though.

When you have "car people" running car companies, you get good, interesting cars. When you have professional "managers" running car companies, you get second-rate, soulless cars.

Second-rate, soulless cars are perfectly fine for most consumers, or so the corporate wisdom goes...though they don't put it in exactly those words.

Marketing is perceived to be what actually SELLS anything...not the ACTUAL WORTH of a given product. Determining the actual worth of a given product would take some knowledge, research, critical thinking and effort on the part of the consumer, and those are not part of the average consumer profile. Average consumers buy what they're told to buy by marketing.

if you spend efficiently enough on marketing (and dress some of it up as " factual information" ) so the theory goes, you can peddle the most mediocre junk to the majority of average consumers.

Not only car people cuz then they go bust due to no profit margin, it's a buyers market ya know.

No you have to have a good mix, of car people and people who do their best to keep it within the budget.

This is one of most interesting and intelligent posts that I have seen in a long time here.It captures the auto industry as it really is today.

You also have an issue that when they do have a good product, they frequently fail to market it well.

I am a die hard Toyota truck fan, I think it is by far the best small truck available and I've driven most of them over the years. The Chevy Colorado is a very nice, well made, well designed small truck. It is the only small truck I've driven that I would even consider replacing my Tacoma with. GM has done little to push this truck focusing on full size trucks, SUVs and sporty cars. Understand it has been close to being dropped from the line up several times since it's introduction.

Of course it is pretty much an Isuzu which may explain the superior quality...

...you have to have a good mix, of car people and people who do their best to keep it within the budget.

True enough, but a GOOD "car guy" engineer lives enough in the real world to understand cost-control BETTER than any manager who, in many cases, may not even know what makes a car run. Production and upper level management need to rise through the ranks, preferably from the assembly floor, through engineering, and they need to understand EVERY FACET OF THE BUSINESS INTIMATELY.

There is a widespread perception in business today that an effective manager DOESN'T NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE PRODUCT or service. This is endlessly repeated by "experts", who have the opinion that "managing people" is the primary goal. You CANNOT effectively manage a room full of car engineers if you know nothing about car engineering, but I see this misguided idiocy fail over and over again in real-world scenarios.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I am thrilled to see this . I was a GM fan until '64 . I worked in a Service Station . Yes , this meant I worked on Cars . Actually 90% of the repairs were to GM's . Not the most populace percentage in the Vehicle mix in the day . I serviced all makes and Models . I pumped gas into all makes . Kaiser , Nash , Frazier , Hudson , all Mopars , FoMoCos , AMC Products . Any other Domestic and Foreign of the day . I serviced the entire bunch of these cars . The GM's I always could count on for repairs in the Garage area . I did have a '46 Ford Pickup I removed a Piston , plugged the hole . It left the Repair with a V/5 . Not the first time for this modification . This was the worst repair I did on a Ford . I helped my Boss re-charge the A/C in the trunk of a Post War Packard . I had more problems changing Spark plugs on a Chevvie I-6 . You do earn you monies at the behest of a Garage Mechanic Companion . Lots of it . I did notice , all my friends had to work constantly "Fix" the GM piles . All other makes did .. function . You did not ever have to fear not making a 'round trip' in other than Brand X .

I've read at ad-nausea accounts from the People retired from GM . The simple truth ; A simple Business plan worked until Corporate Greed chucked it all away . Give the Customer a good product . He'll be back . A hierarchy was built for progressing better products for every Customer's ability to buy better .

The Engineers all say the same thing . The Bean Counters wreck the integrity of the product for the sake of maximizing profit . The Customer be Dammed . GM ripping Customers off by providing less for more and hiding the truth . Just look at the Chevrolet Engines in Olds Cutlasses . Hiding the truth substituting a less HP = Less Fuel Mileage wit much less quality is in my mind : Theft .

What's wrong with Imports ? Why do I resent these . they aren't any better . They still break down , have defects and enjoy Recalls . But .. this is a Heavy But .. A US Auto Worker for Japan Inc. earns less than a US Auto Worker at Domestic Factories .

A Domestic car has $ 2,500 built into the Sticker for Auto Worker Retirement . A Japan Inc. has less at $ 500 ... for .. a Homeland Japanese Auto Worker . Does the Japan Inc. Cost $ 500 Less ??

I could go on . I'll stop here .

This is a first for me ; "Fords bursting into Flames Parked in the Driveways" . I don't think so . I need Proof such as a News Report please .

Toyotas did Kill Customers with Unintended Acceleration .

Thanx ..

I am thrilled to see this . I was a GM fan until '64 . I worked in a Service Station . Yes , this meant I worked on Cars . Actually 90% of the repairs were to GM's . Not the most populace percentage in the Vehicle mix in the day . I serviced all makes and Models . I pumped gas into all makes . Kaiser , Nash , Frazier , Hudson , all Mopars , FoMoCos , AMC Products . Any other Domestic and Foreign of the day . I serviced the entire bunch of these cars . The GM's I always could count on for repairs in the Garage area . I did have a '46 Ford Pickup I removed a Piston , plugged the hole . It left the Repair with a V/5 . Not the first time for this modification . This was the worst repair I did on a Ford . I helped my Boss re-charge the A/C in the trunk of a Post War Packard . I had more problems changing Spark plugs on a Chevvie I-6 . You do earn you monies at the behest of a Garage Mechanic Companion . Lots of it . I did notice , all my friends had to work constantly "Fix" the GM piles . All other makes did .. function . You did not ever have to fear not making a 'round trip' in other than Brand X .

I've read at ad-nausea accounts from the People retired from GM . The simple truth ; A simple Business plan worked until Corporate Greed chucked it all away . Give the Customer a good product . He'll be back . A hierarchy was built for progressing better products for every Customer's ability to buy better .

The Engineers all say the same thing . The Bean Counters wreck the integrity of the product for the sake of maximizing profit . The Customer be Dammed . GM ripping Customers off by providing less for more and hiding the truth . Just look at the Chevrolet Engines in Olds Cutlasses . Hiding the truth substituting a less HP = Less Fuel Mileage wit much less quality is in my mind : Theft .

What's wrong with Imports ? Why do I resent these . they aren't any better . They still break down , have defects and enjoy Recalls . But .. this is a Heavy But .. A US Auto Worker for Japan Inc. earns less than a US Auto Worker at Domestic Factories .

A Domestic car has $ 2,500 built into the Sticker for Auto Worker Retirement . A Japan Inc. has less at $ 500 ... for .. a Homeland Japanese Auto Worker . Does the Japan Inc. Cost $ 500 Less ??

I could go on . I'll stop here .

This is a first for me ; "Fords bursting into Flames Parked in the Driveways" . I don't think so . I need Proof such as a News Report please .

Toyotas did Kill Customers with Unintended Acceleration .

Thanx ..