Model Cars Magazine Forum

While I had my display case opened up anyway, thought you might like to see a couple of scratchbuilt "yard toys" from a number of years ago. Where I delivered the mail, most people had this stuff in the yard. I thought I'd try to make them in 1/24 scale. The lawnmower main body was a continental tire, with some sheet styrene added. The engine is just spare parts from the parts box, with a '63 Lincoln washer bottle used as the gas tank. The handle was my first ever attempt at using aluminum tubing, and the "Honda" decal and the warning decal were from my extra decals bin. I don't remember where the small wheels came from. The trailer was a relaxing weekend project using Evergreen sheet and strips, wheels and taillights from the parts box. The shovels are simply round toothpicks and the tops from wine bottles shaped into blades. Thanks for looking.

post-14132-0-04815600-1405610372_thumb.j

Thanks for your replies. I forget, but someone was asking about a model of a lawnmower recently, and I thought, it's fairly easy to scratch build one....just look at the "shapes" of things, go through your parts bins, and try stuff out. Lots of fun when people see your creation the first time, even though it's far from perfect.

As a side note. I have a 1/25 scale die cast 50's Jeep stake side truck with John Deere markings. In the back it came with a John Deere push mower and several other lawn care accessories. It was fairly common to find them for sale around here and on eBay about 10 to 15 years ago.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...