Model Cars Magazine Forum

'74 El Camino - Finished ! 8-26-14

I've owned six El Caminos over the years and one of them was a '74 that I picked up as a wreck . After putting a '77 front clip on it and a fresh 350 it became my work truck for eight years . I always thought it was kind of ugly but it's size reminded me of my 1960 El Camino and it ended up being one of my favorites !

This is the best photo I have . It was still not painted when I sold it !

1974 El Camino

I've been thinking about doing this for a while , so last week I started chopping up bodies and putting something together .

Here's where it's at so far !

file-vi.jpg

Edited by TooOld

Nice work so far Bob! I take it that you used the NASCAR Chevelle as a base? It's too bad that this era of El Caminos have been ignored. All the other gens have been represented in one particular model year or another, but the '73-'77 models have been just plain forgotten. :(

Thanks guys ! This might be a slow moving build but I'll update when I can !

On 5/13/2014 at 5:16 PM, 1930fordpickup said:

Looks like you are off to a great start.

How much difference is there between the beds on these over the years?

I've got dimensions on the beds and actually they are all pretty close in overall size just different shapes .

The later model bed would be the best one to use but unfortunately in the modeling world it doesn't always work that way . The AMT '68 bed is on top and the '86 is the bottom one ( MPC is identical ) .

I'm using the '68 and modifying the inner fenders and shape .

On 5/13/2014 at 5:31 PM, MrObsessive said:

Nice work so far Bob! I take it that you used the NASCAR Chevelle as a base? It's too bad that this era of El Caminos have been ignored. All the other gens have been represented in one particular model year or another, but the '73-'77 models have been just plain forgotten. :(

I've got several Chevelle bodies and there are differences between them all . I chose to use the AMT/Model King '75 body because the hood to windshield shape looks the best . The roof and top of the doors ( nice handles ) are JoHan Oldsmobile and the nose is from an old MPC Laguna .

Edited by TooOld

nice work so far, I think you are going to nail it B)

years ago I saw an elco with a grand prix front end grafted on to it, even had the GP body lines on the doors, looked pretty cool. I wonder what ever happened to that.......

Impressive work, Bob. You really seem to have the dimensions nailed down on this one. Are you planning to do the original 74 front end, or duplicate the 77 nose that you installed? Really would love to see the 77 front end done. I own a 1:1 77 Malibu Classic, and one of my to-do's is to convert either the AMT or the MPC stocker into a duplicate of my 1:1.

Bill, I agree with you from personal experience: the 73-77 A-bodies get very little respect, but I love 'em all: Chevelles, El Caminos, Montes, plus all the B-O-P versions.

Definitely going to be keeping an eye on this build. From your 60 El Camino build, I've seen what you're capable of. I'm assuming you will be starting out with an interior from the Revell 77 Monte, since that has the dash you will need? Can't tell from your pic of your Elco had swivel buckets or a bench seat, but the 77 Monte has the buckets if you need them, too.

Thanks everybody for the comments ! I should have an update in a few days .

Impressive work, Bob. You really seem to have the dimensions nailed down on this one. Are you planning to do the original 74 front end, or duplicate the 77 nose that you installed? Really would love to see the 77 front end done. I own a 1:1 77 Malibu Classic, and one of my to-do's is to convert either the AMT or the MPC stocker into a duplicate of my 1:1.

Bill, I agree with you from personal experience: the 73-77 A-bodies get very little respect, but I love 'em all: Chevelles, El Caminos, Montes, plus all the B-O-P versions.

Definitely going to be keeping an eye on this build. From your 60 El Camino build, I've seen what you're capable of. I'm assuming you will be starting out with an interior from the Revell 77 Monte, since that has the dash you will need? Can't tell from your pic of your Elco had swivel buckets or a bench seat, but the 77 Monte has the buckets if you need them, too.

Thanks Robert ! I don't no if this will compare to my '60 El Camino build but I'm going to give it a try .

I'm putting the '77 front on it using the headlights from the Monte Carlo kit . The grille on mine was a plain eggcrate with a Bowtie in the middle and I had painted it black , should be easy to fabricate one !

I plan on using that interior as a starting point , not really sure at this point . It did have the swivel buckets .

I've got the major body work finished but I still have a bunch of dips and scratches to fill and I have to rescribe the door lines .

When that's all done I'll start adding the molding around the wheel arches and the bed . And I think the door window shape still needs some work !

And I've been working on the bed also .

Here it is placed inside the body .

Edited by TooOld

Looks great...

Armando Flores built one of these back in the day... Good to see someone else build a mid 70s El Camino...

imagejpg1_zps792a169b.jpg

Thanks James !

I remember seeing that build , it's actually a '78 kit with a fabricated front end and hood . Nice work and a really wild paint job !

Nice El camino and like all the mods so far too

Thank you !

You can't see it in the photos but I've spent about 20 hours this past week fine tuning the body . Mainly the shape of the wheel openings and the flares , and the shape of the bed opening and windows . I've added the body creases from the top of the front fenders back along the top of the doors , and from behind the doors back to and across the tailgate .

I also added the filler panels for the front bumper and started on the bumper and grille . The grille surround in the photo is just a test piece .

I haven't done much at the rear yet , there are some pretty weird shapes at the bottom of the tailgate and the filler panel . I guess that's next , Then I can start on the trim .

Edited by TooOld

Nice job Bob, I wish you would consider getting it cast when your through.

One of the resin casters is working on a 73-77 Elco, but I haven't seen anything posted lately about any progress on the master. It's being based on the recent Missing Link 73 Malibu resin, which was mastered by Repstock, one of the members here. Whenever that Elco is completed, I'm guessing it will also be a 73.

Bob: great progress. The body lines look great. Can't wait to see this when you get the nose and the rear bumper complete!

Edited by Robberbaron