Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dec. Issue

I like MCM the best of any magazine I have ever bought. I never could understand why so many magazines post date them by 3 months and then you read about an event that happened 6 months ago. I think MCM is at least keeping it honest in real time although, my November issue didn't arrive till near the end of the month and I still can't find it at the newsstand or LHS for an extra copy. Hopefully MCM is still growing, keep up the good work!

I just dont understand the animosity some of you have for SA. If not for it, there would be no MCM. They both have thier place in the hobby.

Edited by midnightprowler

Amen george it is a better mag, just wanting to get my grubby paws on my issue, been a subscriber for the last few years and would have had it by now but its running late for me 0:) hope it shows up soon, got a feeling its been hijacked!!! If it was hijacked i can see way its the best one out there.....

Edited by Darren B

How do you figure that?

SA, or I should actually say SAE, and it's sister magazine, Car Modeler, got the ball rolling on a new resurgence for the hobby. I really wonder if not for those two magazines, would there be MCM. Just a opinion. I still dont see any answers as to why the hostility.

SA, or I should actually say SAE, and it's sister magazine, Car Modeler, got the ball rolling on a new resurgence for the hobby. I really wonder if not for those two magazines, would there be MCM. Just a opinion. I still dont see any answers as to why the hostility.

I think the animosity/hostility towards SA is more towards the editor rather than the magazine itself. His sometimes ridiculous moderation of the forum has turned a lot of people against him and in turn, the magazine. I'm just speaking from my own personal experience. Someone else's reason may be different.

Guest G Holding

I think the animosity/hostility towards SA is more towards the editor rather than the magazine itself. His sometimes ridiculous moderation of the forum has turned a lot of people against him and in turn, the magazine. I'm just speaking from my own personal experience. Someone else's reason may be different.

DING DING DING.......WINNAH !!!!

I started subscrubing to SAE back in 90. I also oerdered all the back issues, and got to talk with Gary personally,on the phone and he is really a nice guy! I sent him a wedding card when he married his seceratary. He was one of the nicest guys I had the pleasure to talk with. After he sold SAE to Kalmbach, they dumped Car Model magazine and the rest is history. Personally I feel MCM is the better of the two, they are a more freindlier, seems to be made by modelers FOR modelers. After meeting whats his face at least 5 times at the NNL's, he STILL seems to act like he's doin you a favore just by taklkin to you. Don't like folks who are to full of themselves and pretentious. Others seem to act like he's a god or somethin. Just a rude old man to me!

I can agree with those that don't like the forum, but they are seperate entities to a point. SA has good stuff as well as MCM. Just 2 diffrent flavors is all.

I have to throw my two cents in the ring here, I agree with Lee, having all the car model related mags is better than having none at all, I read the other mag SAE Scale Auto Enthusiast , and yes its the same tips and techniques that they ran before, and I cant take another model review, this months has like 13 model kit reviews, I would much rather have more techs and tips than model reviews, yes its great to know if there is a kit with a snag or bad assembly spots but if you dont build model cars and hit a few snags that you have to figure out or work out to make it work then why model? I have almost all the issues (same with MCM bought them all) and in SAE its the same old reworked tips and techniques, every once in a while they will have a new tip but rarely.

Thats why to me Model Cars Mag is the best car model mag out there, because I learn something new every issue, may be a new technique in a genre that I do not model as I primarily build lowriders but i know when i get that issue in the mail box i will learn something new, cant say the same on the other mag or finescale modeler, that mag two is the same old warmed up tips and techs.....

1.)In my opinion MCM is the best and is the first on my list of model mags, period thats my opinion not kissing any butt here just saying, every issue i learn something new!!

2.)In my opinion never hurts in this day and age and economy to have other model mag resources, Im sure everyone can agree to that.

3.)Lets all be happy we have this hobby and be thankful MCM is around and we get it when we do, cause I know if it ceased to exsist i would be sorely missing a great publication on my most favorite hobby!!!

Period.

SAE helped with the recognition of model cars as an ADULT hobby. If not for that, Plastic Fanatic would never had been launched. After Plastic Fanatic had some success publishing in the off months of SAE, Car Modeler was started to allow SAE's publishing house to have a new magazine every month at the hobby shops. Plastic Fanatic was bought by Greg and it morphed into the Model Cars we have all learned to love. Gary sold SAE to Kambalch. I'm not sure if Greg bought PF before or after SAE was sold. I frankly think a lot of what made SAE special ended when Gary Schmidt sold out. Eventually SAE lost the E (for Enthusiast) and Car Modeler folded.

In all of this, I can only say I'm glad Model Cars is still around. While I buy both SA and Model Cars, I read SA in less than an hour. Model Cars often is spread over several nights of off and on reading to maximize the enjoyment.

Mike

I believe Gregg bought PF about the same time. The premier issue of MCM was in 1999 I beleive. I actually like having a fairly large number of reviews. I have always felt that was a weak point in MCM. I like both about the same, for diffrent reasons, with MCM having a slight advantage, for it's more "family" feel, over the bit more "corporate" feel of SA, much like SAE was.

Well, I used to subscribe to both magazines but had to cut back earlier this year and MCM lost out as it was the one up for renewal. While SA has a corporate feel to it, I do appreciate the fact that I don't have to guess when the next issue will arrive. That was a contributing factor to my decision along with the condition the magazine showed up in most months.

I applaud Gregg for putting out a magazine in a time when readership of publications is in a decline and especially in a genre' of such small proportions.

Hopefully I can subscribe again in 2013 as I have tried to find the magazine at hobby shops and bookstores to no avail. I do like the variety between the two competing magazines and think it is healthy for us to have the choices.

I still buy sae magazine. But i really enjoy model car magazine. The other magazine seems to cater to only the large shows and east coast as well. I dont recall seeing very many how to articles like model car magazine does. I used to participate in their forum but quite because their forum does not have the comradary this one does. You guys are a lot more helpful too.

Edited by azers

I still buy sae magazine. But i really enjoy model car magazine. The other magazine seems to cater to only the large shows and east coast as well. I dont recall seeing very many how to articles like model car magazine does. I used to participate in their forum but quite because their forum does not have the comradary this one does. You guys are a lot more helpful too.

well said this forum everyone will help out but not the other one..........

I am thankful we have choices, wish we had 10 or more different model car related magazines, I would certainly buy each and every issue. people have to learn to stop complaining so much and start to be more thankful that between the mags and the forums today we have something that was missing a few years ago.

I am thankful we have choices, wish we had 10 or more different model car related magazines, I would certainly buy each and every issue. people have to learn to stop complaining so much and start to be more thankful that between the mags and the forums today we have something that was missing a few years ago.

I could have not said it any better well said meaneyme