Model Cars Magazine Forum

finished my 1 to 1 Schwinn Sting Ray!

Irvin Arter Jr.

You're so very fortunate to have kept your bike.I had a green 1968 vintage 5 speed fastback and my buddy had a purple 1967 edition.Both are long gone.

I had tons of fun on that bike.It was my "car" before I had my license.My buddy and I rode ours one day with a strong tail wind and got them up to about 30 m.p.h..At that speed those bikes had a definite stability problem!And it was torture riding them back into the wind.

I wish I still had my Raleigh Chopper.

Bob

Nice Bike Irvin! Wish I still had my original. I do have my 1973 Peugeot Tour De France 10 speed though!

Mychopper-vi.jpg

That's me on Christmas 1969 with my spiffy new Raleigh Chopper in Pirmasens, Germany. This orange one got stolen and was replaced with a yellow Chopper. These were Euro models with head/tail lights run off a generator in the center of the front wheel. The yellow Chopper got brought back to the US and I thought it was safely tucked in the back of my father's loaded garage. Nope! He admitted giving it away to a friend years ago. Argh! At least he didn't dump my Peugeot!

Guest Johnny

I got stuck with a single speed Spyder Bike from Sears and it got stolen off the porch three days later and was found 6 blocks away trashed!!! :angry:

Allstate paid off on it though and I used the money to buy custom parts from Auto World and made a showpiece out of it! B)

I always wanted a Schwinn Stingray 5 speed bike but could not afford it.

Then one day in 1983 we were living in a small town south of here and a neighbor threw one out. It was a basket case but was almost all rthere and the paint was near perfect.

Put it in the basement and every time I was home off a run I would work on it. Found the parts I needed in California on a run.

Took a year but had it done.

When the guy next door seen it he wanted it back and kept getting higher and higher with his offers.

I finally couldn't say no and sold it to him.

Seen him about three years ago and he had sold the bike to some gut in the Netherlands for 5 times what he gave me!

After seeing these pictures, I wish I would have kept it. :(

I have this 1/6 scale Apple Krate by Xonex. It's not a kit but a fully assembled diecast. They also made a Pea Picker, a Lemon Peeler, etc. I found it on ebay a few years ago for $75. It's very detailed... and since my parents refused to buy me a real Krate back in the day, this is as close to one as I've ever gotten!

apple-krate.jpg

I had a Ross Barracuda - couldn't afford a Sting Ray. My sons found this one in an abandoned stone quarry about 15 years ago. It was green and beat to heck. I fixed it up and they rode it for a while. They grew up and moved out and left it in my basement. In 2011, I dug it out and rebuilt it into this rat bike. I ride it around town for fun now. The neighborhood kids think it's cool.

6286369116_63ed3da104_z.jpg

Here's a couple of mine. The orange one is a original 1968 Orange krate with original paint and added period correct accessories. The purple one is a limited 1999 Grape Krate that was only available to dealers not the public. I have many more Stingrays and Krates in various stages of completion. Also a ton of parts and accessories. needless to say I love Schwinn Stingrays and Krates. Oh and that's my 1964 Riviera under the cover in the back ground. B)

http://images60.fotki.com/v361/photos/8/2392878/11511865/DCP_0902-vi.jpg

http://images61.fotki.com/v432/photos/8/2392878/11511865/DCP_0898-vi.jpg

The stuff that dreams were ( and still are ) made of. I had the basic Stingray ( grape metalic ) about '63 or '64. Always envied the shifter models. But mine DID have a slick style rear tire and that was VERY cool. The irony of it all; mine was STOLEN while parked in front of a toy store - Playland - in Gary Indiana, I WAS INSIDE BUYING A MODEL !

Edited by jdcar32

I have this 1/6 scale Apple Krate by Xonex. It's not a kit but a fully assembled diecast. They also made a Pea Picker, a Lemon Peeler, etc. I found it on ebay a few years ago for $75. It's very detailed... and since my parents refused to buy me a real Krate back in the day, this is as close to one as I've ever gotten!

apple-krate.jpg

I have one of those too. I forgot whay color it is, as it is still in the box, and packed away with my models.

Jon(jdcar32) my original Stingray was stolen 2 weeks after I got it for my birthday! It was candy apple red and beautiful! Guess that may be why I'm a Stingray hoarder now!!!! LOL.

Harry you are correct on the versions of the Xonex 1/6 bikes they made all the versions of the Krate except the Grape Krate which wasn't offically offered until 1999. They also made a Coca Cola vesion.