Model Cars Magazine Forum

Okay she's FINALLY done!

MrObsessive

Maybe it's just me... but it sure is nice to see a stock Mercury for a change!

It's not just you harry, I feel the same way, and this build is incredible! Excellent work!! What are the colors you used?

What are the colors you used?

Lee, the body color is plain 'ol Krylon Navy Blue over Plastikote gray primer.

The interior seats were a mixture of the Navy Blue and White to get the two toned look-----and the interior door tops and dash were blue mixed with Alclad aluminum to give a slightly metallic look per the 1:1 pics I had.

Bill, this is just awesome. I relly like what you did with this kit. They were bad from the start as far as the trunk goes. Oh, how I remember it all. :P:D

One note though: I think you forgot the heater in the engine compartment on the right fender. Can't wait to see what you do with the Olds. Keep up the great work. Dan

Whoops! :o Whadaya know.......there's the part still in the box! :o

Hmmm....................on the other hand were heaters standard for Mercury in '49? This car is a little before my time! :D

I think the heater was standard. If not, it sure shoulda been. Especially in the North. :P Dan

Finally after many ups and downs with life, work, and just hassles in general, I'm calling this one done! Fotki seems to be on the fritz at the moment so these are coming from my Photobucket account.

I thank you guys for all the nice words and compliments along the way.............hopefully the next one won't take quite this long, but I've learned a few things myself while I was building this. ;) I'm not quite that happy with the fit of the trunk, but I have to remember that this was a "tutorial" model and not one of my superdetailed ones.

If I were doing this as a regular build, I would have made my own trunk hinges and tightened up the trunk lid itself a bit more to close the gaps.

Enjoy the pics, and comments welcome!

P4063822.jpg?t=1270554580

p4063821.jpg?t=1270554667

P4063810.jpg?t=1270554704

P4063812.jpg?t=1270554749

P4063813.jpg?t=1270554794

P4063815.jpg?t=1270554831

P4063817.jpg?t=1270554897

P4063818.jpg?t=1270554942

Now I do have a couple sneak peek views of the next one I'll be working on--------------if you can guess what it is, give yourself 10 points for the day! :lol:

CopyofP4063825.jpg?t=1270555107

P4063824.jpg?t=1270555163

;) ;)

I like the Resin '64 Cutlass. I have a couple of the plastic ones in the collection. I am considering using an AMT '66 442 kit for the chassis, floorboard, underhood and drivetrain to do a more detailed car. I know you will do this build justice, just as you did the Merc.

Hey Bill, glad to see it finished, it's gorgeous! I really like the lip you added around the trunk opening, I'll be sure to do that when I ever get around to building my Merc! Thanks for sharing your build up of this beauty with us! ;)

Thanks a lot Bill..............and Happy Birthday! :blink:

I'm right behind you by a few months!

Thanks a lot, Bill! The wife and I celebrated by eating at Applebees after work, then we came home and I foiled a Revell '57 Chevy. I must be entering what we call those "Golden Years"! :lol:

What a beautiful build, Bill!

Like Harry said, it's nice to see one of these in stock form for a change. I almost forgot what they looked like!

And thank you so much for the tutorial that went along with it, I definitely learned some new tricks. It is much appreciated! :lol: