Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th Thunderbird Gasser

seattle62kw

Been building this old girl on and off for the past 2 or 3 years now. Bought a semi started T-Bird, junked about 50% of it and used the rest. The body was terrible (typical 1/16th AMT!), lengthened the rear wheel arches by about 11mm, cut the inner fenders and radiator support away and left the firewall, though i'm not sure if i'm going to keep to keep that either. Filled the porthole windows in the B pillars and shaved all the badges. Chassis is all scratch built using Evergreen and K&S brass and alloy. Ladderbars and coil overs in the back with springs and straight axle in the front. Scratch built the stub axles and used 1mm Hob bits bolts, nuts and washers on all the wheels. Engine is a 426 which will be converted to a 392 with scartch built Hilborn injection. Body is 90% ready for paint but can't make up my mind what colors to do!, all i know is it will have a heavy flaked roof with the rest in candy with a definite Bo Huff look to it.

post-7670-0-25754200-1298266671_thumb.jp

post-7670-0-75557200-1298266688_thumb.jp

post-7670-0-83326600-1298266709_thumb.jp

post-7670-0-14238700-1298266726_thumb.jp

Might have to change your class to an Altered class. Gassers had to have a stock automobile type chassis, unless running in Supercharged, A/G, or B/G classes. And even then the front end is way too high. Rules prohibited that really high front end, contrary to what a lot of modelers seem to think about gassers. Here's a link to the rulebook if you're interested..

http://quartermilers.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=rules&action=display&thread=933

Not a crticism..just trying to help.

Definitly agree with you about the front end height, been planning on dropping it down about 10mm, and i'll have a good look through that rulebook too, been wanting to know the exact class rules so i can build it more accurately.

24" from ground to centerline of crank pulley as I recall.

I just want to remind you that my memory is not as good as it used to be. Also, my memory is not as good as it used to be. Hope this helps. :unsure:

TimP

Wow, nice Thunderbird. Detailing on this is amazing, nice job on the rear springs, but those bolts on the front wheels are something, I can't even think about adding to my model. They are so small. Oh yes, this was bigger scale... Engine looks good and body is one of the best gasser basis ever made. GREAT!

Thanks for the kind comments guys :) I seem to have lost all my diagrams for the Hilborn linkages in the last house move. Never got around to making them, but have done the injectors and metering block, so if anyone's got some diagrams for the linkages it would be a great help.