Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 dart and cuda question

That sure is confusing. This I know for a fact. LO23 and BO29 cars never ran in SS/E or SS/EA in NHRA sanctioned competition. I have the Hemmings article that states Landy's Dart was running in SS/E but I think the photo of the Dart may be distorted.I believe that it actually has a SS/B designationon the windshield with the B just looking somewhat like an E.

Anyone have a better explanation?

WF

Check out the Feb 11 issue of Hemmings Muscle. pages 42 and 43. They are definately hemi cars, and definately running SS/E. You can see the hemi badge on Landys dart, plus it has HEMI painted on the hood. It must be a weight thing. Or maybe they werent running SS/B at that event?

Are these pics in Hemmings about current cars,restored cars, pics from the past or what? If they are current could it be that the hemi part is just a badge or some paint? Could it be that the SS/E is for EXHIBITION. If historical,the hemi Darts of yore ran SS/A or SS/B.Is There a pic of the engines in the car? How about maybe Hemmings (or whoever) pulled photos from their files? B):lol: :lol:

suprised that Walter didn't know this one. Landy had a 440 Dart for SS/E before the Hemi SS/B-A cars. i think the 440 car and one of the Hemi cars still exist today, whereabouts of the second Hemi car are unknown.

Oh I do know that, but the question was about the Hemmings story that states that the Hemi cars of Landy and Sox ran in SS/E.

WF

O.K. I might have an explanation for the photos in Muscle Machines. Here they are:

25837110000-vi.jpg

25833110000-vi.jpg

We have a tendency to forget that the NHRA was not the only game in town. Many Pro racers actively raced for NHRA, AHRA, and IHRA points and cash.

I believe that the Sox photo may have been taken at Rockingham Dragway (AHRA at the time). The hill on the left of Sox's car is a clue. The "staging tower" in the Landy picture is certainly not from any NHRA National Event track in 1968. If the AHRA had a different factoring system from NHRA for SS cars(I'm sure that they did) that would explain the SS/E designation. Unfortunately I do not have a AHRA rule book or classification guide for the period in question to back myself up.

Anyone notice that Sox's car has no turn signal lamps in the grille?

WF