Model Cars Magazine Forum

MV lenses changing color

This has come up on my model airplane boards viv-a-vis vacformed canopies on some limited-run kits. It's a function of the type of plastic itself and it can't be stopped or reversed--there's no fix and all sorts of things have been tried. If the plastic is going to yellow, it's going to yellow and there's nothing you can do about it.

And for those who will say this is a function of sunlight--I have a kit (about a decade old) with a yellowing canopy and that box has only been opened twice in all that time--once when I got it and a few months ago to look for that yellowing. Another copy of the same kit, about the same age, had no yellowing at all. It's just the (bad) luck of the draw.

BTW, some have tried bleaching such yellowing canopies by deliberately exposing them to sunlight in a window, as you can do to bleach out darkened decals. It doesn't work.

Edited by Snake45

I bought a bunch to use behind headlight lenses, they all yellowed and I tossed the whole lot. Crummy product, those train guys must be very forgiving.

For model railroaders, "yellowing" isn't that much an issue, certainly if they are modeling older diesels, or steam locomotives, given that back years ago, those engines tended to use headlights having separate lightbulbs with polished brass reflectors--which gave a slightly yellowish glow.

But, I agree, that yellowing can be a real detriment with model cars.

Art

• 5 months later...

In place of them, I've used woodland scenics realistic water, and after it sets up several times to the desired thickness, it won't yellow. Downside is it's expensive, but on the plus side one bottle will do several thousand dollars worth of MV Lenses.