Model Cars Magazine Forum

MODELHAUS PRODUCTS PICS

Thanks Tom... you just cost me about 600.00... LOL

I placed an order before these pix were here ( have bought many times before) and was ready to add the Shasta trailer kit but darn if they didn't get my order out in less than 2 weeks! Guess I will have to place another order soon!

No hesitation from me to buy from Don and Carol and a lack of pictures on their website should not worry potential buyers.

As far as their kits and conversions, over the last 10-15 years I'm bought a bunch of their '60s and '70s subjects (and the '90s ones like the Chevy and Buick wagons). I do think next I'm going to get a few of their '50s items--their '57 Mopars look great, as do their '50s Buicks, Cadillacs, Oldses and the Shasta trailer.

They are always my first stop in looking for resto parts when I buy an old builtup kit...they always seem to have some parts I need for most old kits.

Edited by Rob Hall

No hesitation from me to buy from Don and Carol and a lack of pictures on their website should not worry potential buyers.

The problem is when some product say custom. I would have to imagine how it look in my head. Let`s just say this have stopped me from buying. Not because i doubt the quality,but because i have no idea what it looks like.

The problem is when some product say custom. I would have to imagine how it look in my head. Let`s just say this have stopped me from buying. Not because i doubt the quality,but because i have no idea what it looks like.

Good point...I'm only interested in stock, so that isn't an issue for me. Hopefully some of the pics at the link in the first post help--I noticed some of their custom kits are shown like 40 Fords and 49 Fords..

May I just suggest to all of those bemoaning lack of pics . Go to a show and take pics like we were presented here . Do the same . For those who cannot attend Shows , it is Possible for us to post pics of Modelhaus Products . In the raw , WIP's and finished . I am willing to do this from my stash . I'm sure others would be willing too . Now , where to do so ? Moderators please help on this . I know this would be a line between Free Advertisment and information only you can determine . Don and Carol don't need the advertisment . The business is very fair to the Customers and Other Casters IMHO . During all of their entire history by not making delibertally or directly duplicate competing Product . I never will post the cost of anything I have as it is irrevelent to me . I've been a Customer since the Begaining of Modelhous . Thanx ..

As far as the cost thing goes, I buy a high end silicone at $90 for ten pounds. 180S resin in white is about $40 for a half gallon. That ten pound bucket of rubber will do about one mold for a 25th scale car plus a little more. So now, after time spent creating a master (Which no one ever seems to think to factor in) I'm into the project for about $130 bucks. That half gallon of resin will yield about five to six cars and Ed is right, even with care and conditioning the life span of any mold is roughly 50 pulls. This doesn't even take into consideration the fact that there are unsatisfactory pulls now and then. Items that can't be sold (with a clear conscience anyway) further widening the cost deficit.

So with all that said, as well as Don provides castings that rival styrene products in quality AND detail, his prices are more than fair. Noone seems to understand the amount of work that goes into the creation of master to final product. They take time, time is money, and my time is worth the same as anyone elses. I hope this clears it up for some of you.

As far as Don goes, I consider him the Grandfather of the model car cottage industry. He has been around since the first resin parts were offered and there's a reason for that. Quality and service are benchmarks to him and most of todays good casters strive to be as good as he is. I understand the cost is prohibitive for many as it is for me. But oooh...if I only had the cash!

Hey, thanks for posting pics of the actual product.

Most of my Modelhaus purchases have been from Googled pictures of the actual cars.

I've been buying from Don since the late 80s and have NEVER been disappointed.

I've bought from other resin sellers, but none have compared to Modelhaus.

It's going to be a sad day when he decides to retire. So I've bought more as monies permit.

Okay Gentlemen, I've heard all of your comments, now let's all just sit back and relax, I'll never make my feekings heard on this forum, as I alway's seem to start a Fire under someone's Butt, just because I think that someone's Prices are way to HIGH for (my) pocket!!!!!

Hey Michael, I hate to hear that you feel somone was attacking you. I hate when anyone in a social forum like this makes things personal that are not and puts someone else out and makes them uncomfortable. Some folks like to stir the muck tho.

Having said that, I re-read all the posts since your intitial post, and I did not take any of them as someone saying you were wrong, but rather educating someone that pointed out, and to some extent asked why, the cost of something is so high. I myself read your post as a question within a comment. "I don't know about others......but I would think", probably made others think you were asking for feedback. I thought that is what they were offering, feedback, not pushback.

The first time I said something similar was about American Satco Tires on another forum maybe 15 years ago, and I also pointed out it was just "too much for ME" but i got actual pushback from the owner when he called me out on a forum and basically poked fun at me for saying I thought they were too much for MY budget. (IIRC they were roughly the same price as a kit at the time or at least close) At that point, I could care less the quality, or cost of his products, becase it became personal and I would never buy a product from them.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I do not think anyone here uses rubber that costs $100.00 a pound. Just sayin'. And the Modelhaus stuff is top shelf.

you had better think a littel harder than . It gets very pricy very fast . And that does not include you time. His prices came from reputation. You dont need pic it was all top on the line or did not ship . Also there is alot of wast to add on top of the prices.

you had better think a littel harder than . It gets very pricy very fast . And that does not include you time. His prices came from reputation. You dont need pic it was all top on the line or did not ship . Also there is alot of wast to add on top of the prices.

this thread hasn't been active for over a year