Model Cars Magazine Forum

Woodn't - NNL Here I Come!

FASTBACK340

While searching out a few items for a board member I came across enough "good stuff" to get some torque going to the gears: I found my second build! Something in a semi-slammer league, but not too involved to become intimidating. All image....

What I found was an MPC '29 Woody that I had rearranged a few body panels on. It still needs some finishing on the joints and the hood/rad. shell, but it's all fairly simple.

Woody_Start003-vi.jpg

The body is set on some stainless shim stock a friend had given me years ago. It cuts with scissors and leaves an edge as you see. This will be used, along with a very unique vintage engine, coming through the hood.

Woody_Start011-vi.jpg

*Wheels and tires may change on a whim at any moment, most likely MANY times....

You'll all have to wait to see what I'm thinking....

Edited by FASTBACK340

Looks like an awesome build. Can't wait to see it all done. Not having built a woody myself, what does the kit provide for the wood, and are you going to use it or scratchbuild something?

Well, the hint is the car is called Woodn't..... So I wouldn't be using the kit parts, which is plastic, replicating wood.

Yes, this could get Interesting. Think Ed Roth meets Jimmy Shine. Stay tuned, this is outside my usual comfort zone ;)

Day got a little backed up and I never made it to the LHS. Did decide on wheels and engine. Going with the Pegasus big & little Halibrand style wheels. WoodyEngine_mock_up002-vi.jpg I'm going with an Ardun w/strombergs coming through the hood... WoodyEngine_mock_up007-vi.jpg And like I said, it's called Woodn't for a reason WoodyEngine_mock_up003-vi.jpg This is going to be fun! WoodyEngine_mock_up004-vi.jpg *This is sitting waaaay too high

OK, this is getting somewhere. Here you can see the thin shim-stock I'm using for the inserts where the wood used to be. WoodyChassis_Body_mock_up001-vi.jpg Oh yeah, it's going to be a sedan delivery too. This shot shows how thin this stuff is. And it cuts with manicure scissors! WoodyChassis_Body_mock_up003-vi.jpg I also C'ed the frame and dropped in a floor. I clipped the frame horns on the deuce rails and have started to rough-in the opening for the engine to stick through. I can't find the arbor for my dremel's saw, so I'm stuck until tomorrow when now I must go to my LHS. Here's my last update for tonight. WoodyChassis_Body_mock_up004-vi.jpg

Just a quick post to show there is progress. I attached the stainless inserts to .010 sheet plastic. Now I can clean it up and trim it when I need it. This stuff looks soooo nice. Woody_Stuff_1001-vi.jpg Watching a re-broadcast of the Mets getting reamed earlier today. Time to hit the hobby room.....*