Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fabulous 50's Community build

Nick Winter

Oooh Sweet '59, your in Glenn.

Nick

Ok then..SWEET.. This is the 80's Excell re-issue of the Johan 59 Dodge in white styrene & was manufactured as a curbside kit, but I want to open the hood & show some engine detail. So?... Cut the hood out Hoodcutout.jpgHoodup.jpg... Then there's no engine bay to speak of.......... SOLUTION?...................................Take 1 58 plymouth kit & cut the detail you want out. Shouldn't be too hard to modify it to fit correctlyAMT58Pymouthcut.jpg

Little more done on my '57, still need to touch up around the lips of the hood and BMF the body.

GEDC0551.jpg

GEDC0553.jpg

GEDC0554.jpg

Had to Chuckle under my workbench stacked is a '57 Chrysler, '58 Plymouth and '59 Chrysler

Nick

GET THEM OUT NICK.....This sounds like the start of a 'Forward Look' community build to me... I'd be in that for sure.

Got the hubcaps set the way i need them . The rear is a little low but this is just a mockup

IMG_2763.jpg

`Well last night i shot clear on this and i thought it looked pretty good. tonight i was saning on it to gett some goobers out of it and i dropped the body paint chipped pretty bad so now it is soaking to remove the paint. Will have to start all over.

We've all been there, Todd, and we all hate it when it happens. All you can do is do it again and make it even better next time. Just treat the first go-round as practice! I'm in the middle of redoing a 1964 Corvair annual for the "Glue Bomb" CBP, and the clearcoat made the white color coat look flourescent yellow! OK, I like yellow (the best 1:1 Corvair I ever owned was yellow), but this is supposed to be a replica of a friend's 1:1 car, so yellow just won't work. My usual stripper, Royal Purple, wasn't touching it, even after a couple of weeks. I made a real mess of it trying to scrape it off with my fingernails, which left some nice gouges in the paint which I was afraid to try to sand out of it. A couple of days in brake fluid, and a busted windshield frame later, and it was back to the workbench for it.

We've all been there, Todd, and we all hate it when it happens. All you can do is do it again and make it even better next time. Just treat the first go-round as practice! I'm in the middle of redoing a 1964 Corvair annual for the "Glue Bomb" CBP, and the clearcoat made the white color coat look flourescent yellow! OK, I like yellow (the best 1:1 Corvair I ever owned was yellow), but this is supposed to be a replica of a friend's 1:1 car, so yellow just won't work. My usual stripper, Royal Purple, wasn't touching it, even after a couple of weeks. I made a real mess of it trying to scrape it off with my fingernails, which left some nice gouges in the paint which I was afraid to try to sand out of it. A couple of days in brake fluid, and a busted windshield frame later, and it was back to the workbench for it.

Soaked mine in 91% alcohol paint came off last night but the primer and body putty is a little tougher just satrted softing up tonight. Put it in Super clean will see what happens

• 4 weeks later...