Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fabulous 50's Community build

Nick Winter

Hey Nick, any chance I can get in on this? I've been away from car modeling for quite a while and I need some inspiration. I've got some old projects stashed away, can I put them in or should I start from scratch?

Ron.

Sure can Ron, just tell what your building.

I hope you are making more progress on that paint job. It's looking real good.

Which ones that Cranky?

Nick

I got a lot of work done the last couple of nights. Attached the roof, decided to make it a hardtop and sanded it smooth. I made the corners more rounded and blended it with the body. I opened the side windows to loose some of the blind spot but I'm saving the mail slot back window. Fixed the windshield and removed the side chrome.

P1030756-1.jpg

P1030759.jpg

Looking real nice Nick!!

Got a bit more done on mine. I had to rebuild the bumper aprons, they were cut off and filled but I think that was going to make it's butt look too big. The bumpers will help the car look a little longer and lower. I also cut a little slit in the hood sides to help blend the body contour on the doors.

P1030823.jpg

P1030825.jpg

P1030826.jpg

Here's where i stand on the "his" 53 hudson hornet.

DSC03362.jpg

DSC03361.jpg

DSC03360.jpg

DSC03359.jpg

what i've added:

throttle linkages

spark plugs, boots, wires

fuel lines

a fuel filter (100% scratch built) with the filter element

heater hose

drilled out the end of the crank case ventilation tube

choke heater lines from the carbs to the exhaust manifold

vacuum advance from the distributor to the carb

and also put in a little wire on the starter to simulate the starter solenoid.

what's next:

touch up painting

wire the generator

wire the starter

fabricate a throttle linkage return spring (i have to figure out where it goes first)

figure out where the other heater hose goes

once i get the engine completely built, then i'll work on the chassis, which is going to include routing fuel lines, brake lines, and putting the engine and drivetrain in.

keep in mind i'm building two of these at once, and will attempt to obtain the same level of realism with both builds.

thanks for looking!

Awesome work on that engine so far Mark!!

I got some skirts made for mine, couldn't find any I liked so I whittled them out of some sheet plastic. I debated on fender extensions for this build then I saw the new '48 Ford coupe had them in the box. When I got a closer look though I didn't like them at all. I didn't think they should blend flush with the rear fenders so I pulled the Evergreen plastic out again and made my own.

P1030828.jpg

P1030839.jpg

P1030843.jpg

I'd like to join in with my 50 chevy 3100 pickup I've not finished a model since the pre-painted kit days when I would buy them from walmart and gluebomb them.

this will be the first model I've painted everything myself .. so it may not be too pretty but oh well.. lol

I actually plan to build it as more of a junker than shiny so it will be rough

82255152.jpg

Edited by B-dub