Model Cars Magazine Forum

'77 Firebird Formula tribute build

TFchronos

• 2 months later...

The only way that I can think of to say this is:

Dude! This is a Way Cool Build!

I need to put together my list of Top 10 Favorite Builds

in this Forum and this one would be in it. The Subject

Matter and your Finished Build are Awesome!

Nice Job!

Jonathan, nice job on this tribute car! I have to admit, I was pretty impressed by the way you resolved the wheel issue. That never would have occurred to me.

One question: was the engine in the 1:1 car painted orange?

Lastly, at the risk of intruding on what you probably consider a finished project, allow me to make a suggestion that'll lend the final touch in replicating your dad's car. Fireball Modelworks has a set of waterslide decals that match the Cooper Cobra tires in your photo. They're inexpensive, easy to apply, and the guy who makes them (Chief Joseph) is also a member of this board. Ask him about P/N WL-09 http://www.fireballmodels.info/

Very nice!

Thanks Bill!

I can't believe I missed this outstanding build Jonathan, I bet he thoroughly enjoyed it when you gave it to him.

Thanks Jason, he sure did, at first he was speechless then the look on his face was that of like seeing an old friend he thought he would never see again.

The only way that I can think of to say this is:

Dude! This is a Way Cool Build!

I need to put together my list of Top 10 Favorite Builds

in this Forum and this one would be in it. The Subject

Matter and your Finished Build are Awesome!

Nice Job!

Thank you for the kind words Steve!

Jonathan, nice job on this tribute car! I have to admit, I was pretty impressed by the way you resolved the wheel issue. That never would have occurred to me.

One question: was the engine in the 1:1 car painted orange?

Lastly, at the risk of intruding on what you probably consider a finished project, allow me to make a suggestion that'll lend the final touch in replicating your dad's car. Fireball Modelworks has a set of waterslide decals that match the Cooper Cobra tires in your photo. They're inexpensive, easy to apply, and the guy who makes them (Chief Joseph) is also a member of this board. Ask him about P/N WL-09 http://www.fireballmodels.info/

Thank you Monty!

Yep, it was a 403 that was painted Chevy orange, that's how it was when he bought it from a small time dealer in the mid 80s. He never knew why it was painted orange but it was and it was quite powerful to boot.

That was the one detail I couldn't seem to match, thank you so much for the info. I will definitely contact him to try and get a set.

• 3 months later...

Hey folks I'm resurrecting this thread lol. A fellow member here Monty was kind enough to inform me that another member here Chief Joseph makes the Cooper Cobra decals to match the tires in the real picture. I bought a set a (while back lol) and finally got them on a few days ago and wanted to show them off. They were super easy to put on too.

11009914_704665956345936_781606964516902

11406355_704665969679268_684147343131491

11405529_704666036345928_256381843778518

11402419_704666053012593_846652201803314

Thank you for pointing me to them Monty and thank you Chief Joseph for making them, it really makes it look that much closer to the real picture.