Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lou Kroack's "estate" sale (Table Top Trucker)

Last Saturday (4/27/2013)...was more than I could ever digest in a single day...the wife and I took a 3 hour trip to Transfer, PA right outside of the Ohio border...for an "estate" sale...I knew it had some significance...but how much?? Did not really know until I got there....as a kid growing up...and with the family in the trucking business...one of the main publications we received was the "Owner Operator" magazine...one special piece to me always stood out...and I am sure to many...was Lou Kroack's Table Top Trucking column...this was "Lou's" house I was now standing in...his basement, his store shop..his modeling room...Lou passed away back in December 2012...his wife Corene is now living in Scottsdale, AZ with the oldest son...although many of his models were long gone...I was able to obtain some model trucking photo archives, hand written letters/notes..etc...pictures hanging on Lou's shop walls...etc. I wasn't able to get everything I wanted...but was pretty happy..then the big moment...I was introduced to Lou's sister in law Patty...married to Lou's brother Ed...who passed away 6 years ago...we talked...I told her what my passion was for the hobby..and she said...who you like some of Lou's old pictures..that he kept for himself...what was I suppose to say...later on in the evening, the wife and I drove over to her home...and she pulled out the albums...my jaw dropped...Over the past several days...I set up a FOTKI album (with a link)..over at my site...broken down in categories...for all those to see and view...there are pictures from 1970, that should be in the model car/truck museum...I hope all of you will enjoy..as I enjoyed that Saturday... I also met a friend of Lou's...that he knew for over 25 years....Kurt

http://public.fotki.com/turbo590/lou-kroack-in-memorial/

sc00059170_zps4228aa6c.jpg

sc00028379_zps6e8cc5b0.jpg

Kurt, Thanks for sharing your photos with us. I really enjoyed them and love Lou models. Glad you had such an awsome experience on your trip. Lou had a great collection of models and was a great builder. Thanks again.

Doug

Thanks for the Memories of Lou I remember him as a boy growing up and went to school with his son I would visit Lou just to see his builds of big rigs . Lou lived down the road from me and My family knew all of his family Being Transfer is a small town . When I wentinto the service and returned from Nam I made it a point to go visit Lou. I always wished I could have gottena copy of his book he wrote . I dought his sister in Law would remember me or my family . I also just had heard about Lou's passing

Thanks for sharing Kurt I actually thought Lou passed away some time time ago. He was a hero and inspiration as I grew up. He has many model at the Mack museum in Allentown Pa. I missed you at NNL East hope to see you at macungie or at the September showdown.

Vince

me too

I didnt know till now about this sad passing , didnt he also write for scale auto mag many moons ago ?Just finished lookin at the photo's , very good thanks for sharing them .

Edited by scummy

Lou Kroack authored one of the first books on model trucking, "Collecting & Building Model Trucks," a rarity if you can find it. His models were frequently featured in Auto World's catalogue. A heartfelt thanks to Lou and Phil Jensen who did so much to boost scale trucking.

I live about 30 miles from Lou's shop and i remember his is the first place i saw the other model mag. and the first cars i bought were the Reher and Morrison and Bob Glidden Pro Stocks and the 69 Super Bee and T/A challenger . i also bought the Revell Peterbuilt and Kenworth models also from him and his wife. Very nice people . Always wanted tio go back and see if they were still there.

Thanks for the memories all good ones

Michael