Model Cars Magazine Forum

WWII Harley-Davidson WLA Liberator

This is the 1/9 scale Italeri kit. Paint is Model Master Olive Drab, "leather" holster, seat and saddlebags are a combination of acrylic ocher, Minwax "Dark Walnut" oil stain and "Rosewood" acrylic stain.

1.jpg

2.jpg

The windbreaker below the windshield is cut from a piece of fabric and painted with acrylics to look like canvas.

6.jpg

The blanket on the rear is cut from the same fabric, but painted green. While the paint was wet I folded it up and formed the wrinkles; when the paint dried it held its shape. The holddown straps are strips of painted masking tape.

7.jpg

The strap on the gun is also painted masking tape; the strap attachments are leftover PE pieces from I-don't-remember-where...

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

And at some point after I had everything together the chain broke! I have no idea how to fix it... :angry:

Harry, ol' buddy! I see you finally got my motorcycle finished! I await it's delivery with bated breath... ;):unsure::) All joking aside, that is a beautiful build of my absolute favorite motorcycle. I actually got a chance to ride one several years ago. They're really a blast to ride, a whole lot of fun... Kick start, foot clutch, hand shift, left-hand control is the spark advance... ohh, yeah, no vacuum advance for the timing on this baby... One had his hands full compared to newer DOT standard control bikes. I wasn't even aware that this kit was available... Thanks for bringing this to my attention and for a wonderful build that brought back some very fond memories! One more kit to add to the 'want list'!

That's the nicest build of that kit I've seen, I built both the WLA and the WLR many years ago. The WLR is the same bike/kit exept it has chrome parts included and no military stuff. I've been lucky and have been able to ride a bike like that a few times, It takes alot of getting used to with the hand shift and foot clutch-the first couple of times I rode it-I kept pulling the left handle bar lever thinking it was the clutch and it's really the front brake !!

Besides the dash being a seperate piece-the "Fat Bob" tanks are two seperate tanks--the right side is for engine oil and the left side holds gasoline.

Maybe you could tie a piece of thread onto the broken end of the chain and bring the end of the string into the trans sprocket area/ under the sprocket and in front of it, lay the string over the sprocket and the pull the thread down to tighten up the slack--then a drop of super glue to hold it in place ?

Every thing looks "spot" on exept there's no puddle of oil under it ??

Here's a shot of a WLA at the Krause WW II museum ( notice the diaper under it)--->

043-1.jpg