Model Cars Magazine Forum

Say that fast three times.

It means "small armored command wagen" and was this ever a tiny tank. Brave men rode these into battle. This is based on the few sent to North Africa in the spring of 1941. They were just about obsolete then, but soldiered on for another year.

The build was chronicled in the ongoing "All the Rest" Community build. I had started it a while back and used this as a tutorial on weathering.

DSCF4790_zpsa2ad991e.jpg

DSCF4794_zps2e9412ff.jpg

DSCF4793_zpsa03e2392.jpg

DSCF4797_zpsf8cb1c0a.jpg

DSCF4799_zpsf4b5d0f9.jpg

DSCF4800_zps8627afa1.jpg

The basecoat is Floquil Dark Gray enamel, the topcoat is a mix of Tamiya acrylics. I scrubbed at it with water and acrylic thinner yielding a worn finish which I enhanced with enames, olis and pigments.

G

Thank you for the comments gentlemen!

3 times fast ? Can't say it one time slow. : ) Looks great. I always thought military vehicles look better when mounted on a base with a little grass or dirt. Any chance you are going to do that ?

I stained the wood base this afternoon. It will look similar to this one.

DSCF4579_zpsa166db1c.jpg

I have found a figure who's holding binoculars as well. He should fit right in. To switch it up I plan a few more large rocks and some bushes.

G

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Harry! That's great praise coming from a talent like you.

Here's the base I made today. I'm not done with this just yet, I will be working on figures for it as well.

DSCF4837_zps06ed3117.jpg

DSCF4838_zps840bf25e.jpg

DSCF4840_zps4b1a2298.jpg

DSCF4839_zps10f1606d.jpg

The rocks are Hydrocal, a lightweight plaster I poured into a rubber mold. The ground is air drying modelling clay with fine sand sprinkled on top. The bushes are a commercially available model railroad product akin to sponge. I painted the whole thing with acrylics.

G

That's a $.99 pine base from Hobby Lobby I stained and laquered.

I used DAS modelling clay for the ground and added a sprinkle of fine sand. The rocks are Hydrocal from a Woodland Scenics mold. The whole thing was airbrushed with several shades of Tamiya Buff, then I went back in and did the rocks with a brush.

The scrub brush is another Woodland Scenics model railroad product.

G

Bob, Jim Thank you both.

Jim, yes it is. The original was based on the Panzer 1b chassis, hence the five roadwheels.

G

Thanks for the info. Oddly enough, I did find information on this vehicle, but it was called SdKfz 265 Panzerbefehlswagen. I don't speak German, so I don't know if the word order really makes a difference or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SdKfz_265_Panzerbefehlswagen

"Befehlswagen" translates roughly to "command wagon," and "Panzer" means "tank."

So it would be kleine Panzerbefehlswagen (small tank command wagon), which sounds redundant in English... but words don't always translate perfectly one to one between languages.

Thank you Skip, that means a lot.

Thanks for the clarification Harry. Grandma passed when I was 12, that was a loooong time ago so the German is nearly gone.

Tom, I read a lot about that time in history, fascinated because I had relatives on both sides. I believe it wasn't just hot, but hotter than we can ever imagine. I ran across a passage in a reference book the other day. In the event of a sandstorm the vehicle would be turned in such a fashion to put the engine down wind and the crew sheltered in place with all vision ports closed. So a truck would be tail end into the wind and have all the windows rolled up. A tank though, would be nose into the wind and completely buttoned up. That is almost unimaginable given no climate control system or filtration. It's reportedly bad enough in a modern M1A1 with filtration and AC much less this little beast.

G