Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tubing storage?

I use a Magazine file. "Deco" brand. One for strip/rod/tube, one for sheet.

Yea, I Don't have near the quantity most here do.

For the strip/rod one I have wire dividers and sort them by type, then size.

Strip in front, smallest to largest, then rod/tube--same way, then structural shape strips,

'L' angle, 'C' & 'U' channel. 'I' & 'H' Beams Half & quarter round, then HO & O scale dimension.

Basically what I did, but glued ABS pipe to a board. and made slots from wood for the sheet plastic. I grouped strip/rod/tubing by type / shape, not size (round, quarter round, tubing, strip etc). It doesn't really show but there is a third row of tubes for the brass.

plasticorganizer.jpg

Can you tell me what size is the PVC that you used? I like your set up.

At the ad agency where I worked, we used rotating organizers like this for a multitude of things, and it would probably work with tubing, strip, etc. in the center part. It holds all kinds of things like what you can see here, including X-Acto knives, brushes, pencils, scribers, etc. The bottom trays are good for spare X-Acto blades, paper clips, push pins, erasers, small items. It all depends on how much stuff, of what kind, you have.

As shown in the post above, always keep your tubing and strip in the original packaging.

Click to enlarge.

post-4455-0-29229400-1355086051_thumb.pn

Edited by sjordan2

I used 3" ABS, and cut it into 10" sections. It is pretty cheap, about $15 for 10 feet. I used clear silicone to glue it to a pine board.

I had bought some smaller and that wouldnt hold a couple pcks. Thanks for letting me know what size.

Tim

I had bought some smaller and that wouldnt hold a couple pcks. Thanks for letting me know what size.

Tim

Yeah, I tried a few sizes, 3" was the sweet spot for me, 2" looks like it will work, but actually doesn't hold very much before getting tight, 4" is so big you might as well just go back to throwing it all in a box. I can get 10-15 packs into a 3" tube leaving enough room to easily sort through them. You could get probably twice that number if you cram them in, but then its hard to see what you've got.

my now defunked LHS used to sell K&S steel music wire. it came in 36" tubes. i got a few tubes from him and will cut them down to around 10" or so and tack them up on the side of my bench. mark what size the plastic rod or tubing is on the wood that i have them tacked to. i will keep the most common sizes out, for the rest, i have a plastic divided container or i keep them in the origional packaging and use a rubber band to keep them together.

Well, Due to a move I needed to come up with something to get set up again. While at Walymart I saw these wire shelves. I mounted one upside down on a piece of plywood and then set one right side up over it. It has 160+ spaces so I'm hoping that will do all of the metal stock.

I made a copy of the squares on paper to lay out the shapes and sizes so I can write the sizes on the plywood for each space.

I'll keep you posted on how this works out.

IMG_8336-vi.jpg

That's interesting, Tom. What will you do with the pieces when they get shorter after cutting?

I ordered some 3/4" clear thin wall tubing from eplastics.com last night. The plan is to drill out 1 x 2s or 1 x 3s to make a stand for them. Each tube will be labeled with the Evergreen, K&S, or Plastruct number and size.

That's interesting, Tom. What will you do with the pieces when they get shorter after cutting?

Jim, I have drawer organizers in some of the tool box drawers that I put the cut pcs in. I do the same with short pieces of styrene.

I got my rack together and so far I think it's going to work just fine. I need to find my Angles and channels yet but I emptied 104 boxes into it so far and still have plenty of room. I found an old office rack for the large sheets.

IMG_8441-vi.jpg

IMG_8440-vi.jpg

Tom

We're similar lines, Tom, only I'm going to use 3/4" clear tubing to put the different sizes in. I'm partially done with a rack that will hold 78 tubes. I won't do final assembly of the rack until the tubing gets here (tomorrow) to make sure the tubes will slide easily into the holes I've drilled.

I finally finished my storage rack and I'm very pleased.

Here's a before pic.

100_5795.jpg

And after.

100_5796.jpg

100_5797.jpg

I still have some empty holes. I sorted by different shapes and than the stock numbers. Now I can grab a tube of whatever and not have to go through a bunch of other packages on hook. This also freed up some space on the pegboard so was able to spread items out and add more.

I was even able to store the sheet styrene in the back of the rack.

Edited by crazyjim

That turned out great Jim. I still need to do something with my styrene tube, have more of it than the brass,lol.

What did the cost come out to be for 78 tubes? I have wasted space behind the door so I may just hang them???

Thanks for sharing that.

AzTom

The tubing ran me $50 from eplastics.com. I had the wood, masonite, and plexiglass laying around. A 3/4" spade bit is NOT .750! I had to use a 13/16" spade bit for the 3/4" tubes. I cut a bunch of 1" squares of 1/8" plexi that were CA glued to the bottom of each tube and then ground/filed smooth. The wood is a plain old 1 x 3. A similar piece could be made to fit behind a door very easily. I wanted everything within reach while I'm at my work area.