Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Alvis Stalwart "BP Exploration"

When I was just a young lad, I loved Matchbox cars. And one of my all time favorite Matchboxes was my little "BP Exploration" vehicle. It was just the coolest little amphibian. Well recently I was looking for a subject to serve as my entry in my model car club's "Heavy Commercial" theme night and also needed something to use to up my digital modeling skills. It dawned on me that the little 6 wheel vehicle would be a good fit for both. Not overly complex, yet still providing some challenges in areas I hadn't had much experience in, I proceeded to model it in 1/24th scale. A quick search on the internet provided all the information I needed. Armed with photos of the actual vehicle, some decent line drawings and my little Matchbox I still have since childhood, I proceeded to model it up and print it out on our 3-D printer. I then finished and painted it up to display at the club meeting. It was an instant hit, almost everyone remembering the cute little Matchbox from childhood.

While not a contest quality build, it is certainly a head turner. The cover over the rear is removable just like the little Matchbox and the wheels roll freely. There isn't any documentation that shows this vehicle in these markings, as it was pretty exclusively used in the British Army. But it sure is cool in this color scheme rather than camouflage!

Tory

Stolly_a_zps7bb5018f.jpg

Stolly_b_zps23b4e8a9.jpg

Stolly_c_zpsabfc2c91.jpg

Stolly_d_zps8bb45044.jpg

Stolly_e_zps8a13ffb9.jpg

Stolly_f_zpsac0a74e0.jpg

Stolly_g_zps14a9bb61.jpg

As I child I had the same Matchbox vehicle. I remember it as the Alvis Stwart? I'm sure I had one with 8 wheels? Could I be wrong? Was I thinking of another Matchbox vehicle from the same era? I do remember the BP markings though.

We used to have a next door neighbor that operated a BP service station(Gas Station to our US folk) which included a mechanical repair garage and one Christmas I was presented with a plastic BP gas tanker and trailer. I think it would have been at least 1/32 scale if not 1/25 scale. It was a Mercedes Benz with a tag trailer. I would have been 3 or 4 maybe.

Thanks for reviving my childhood memories! :)

Thank you all for the kind words, glad you like it. While 3-D printing is amazing, you have to master the digital modeling end of things in order to have something to print. I think a lot of folks are missing that minor point!

Tory

Thanks again folks! Like I said, she'll never be a contest winner but it sure does bring a lot of smiles and fond waves of nostalgia to everyone that see's it!

Ewen, I can relate. Growing up we weren't exactly "rolling in it" but there was always a spare buck to indulge me in a Matchbox. I even had a patch of dirt on the side of our house that was a miniature construction zone for my little vehicles. Good times!

Tory

That is awesome. My brother is 4 1/2 years younger than me. I can still remember sitting in the waiting room when he was being born. My dad would come out from time to time and give me a new Matchbox to keep me occupied, this was one of those that I got (and the only one I specifically recall).