Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Holy Grail" Models?

but whats you number 1? There has to be 1 that stands out

For a long time it was this old Aurora double kit. I had a bad yen for it when it was released in the dim recesses of time...the box art is still some of the most compelling to me... but forgot it even existed until about 2005. I finally got a clean unmolested one a few years back, and was kinda disappointed with some of the scaling mistakes that were made by the manufacturer. It's still on the shelf, and I'm still trying to decide what to do with it. Right now, rather than correcting the proportions, I'm leaning towards just doing both models box-stock, as cleanly as possible, with very minimal detailing, probably limited to plug wires.

Image result for aurora 1934 ford double kit

hmm...I have two that easily comes to mind.

ESCI Ford Transit. Molded in red, in the Ford promo box. I bought this at a car boot sale at Beaulieu Motor Museum in England back in the late 80s. Built it, displayed it, used it to store things, it eventually fell in to disrepair and was tossed. Would love to have another.

Lindberg Ford Thunderbird - this is a crappy 1.32 kit, but the '78 Thunderbird was my first car, and I want to build a duplicate.

transit.thumb.jpg.fede87b97704d0834ebe9e

tbird.thumb.JPG.4fea7df8f926b06812255b4a

Edited by iamsuperdan

I have a very hard time picking just one but here is a few that are on the top of my bucket list...

Monogram Un-Real Roller

MPC 75 Firebird

65.66 Chrysler 300 HTs

Normatt Winnebago motorhome

65,66 Dodge Monaco HTs

71-76 Dodge vans

69,70 Cadillac Coupe DeVille HTs

Any of these would make my year. 

Edited by disabled modeler

All kits I know exist, and ideally not crazy expensive resin versions...

1/25 Pink Panther Show car

1/24 De Tomaso Mangusta

1/32 Airfix Jaguar 420G and Maserati Indy

1/32 Tomy Mercedes 300SL and Porsche 356

And (a bit) more reasonably-priced, but still very hard to find... 1/24 Fujimi EM 1969 Porsche 911S...

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

All kits I know exist, and ideally not crazy expensive resin versions...

1/25 Pink Panther Show car

1/24 De Tomaso Mangusta

1/32 Airfix Jaguar 420G and Maserati Indy

1/32 Tomy Mercedes 300SL and Porsche 356

And (a bit) more reasonably-priced, but still very hard to find... 1/24 Fujimi EM 1969 Porsche 911S...

best,

M.

The Mangusta in 1/24?  Would certainly like to have one also, who's release is it?

For my own holy grail I seem to find new ones, but now that the JoHan Follmer Javelin is off the list its now down these:

Revell Premium BMW 850i

Revell VW Corrado

For a long time it was this old Aurora double kit. I had a bad yen for it when it was released in the dim recesses of time...the box art is still some of the most compelling to me... but forgot it even existed until about 2005. I finally got a clean unmolested one a few years back, and was kinda disappointed with some of the scaling mistakes that were made by the manufacturer. It's still on the shelf, and I'm still trying to decide what to do with it. Right now, rather than correcting the proportions, I'm leaning towards just doing both models box-stock, as cleanly as possible, with very minimal detailing, probably limited to plug wires.

Image result for aurora 1934 ford double kit

Bill, I wont say the Aurora 1934 Ford  is a Holly Grail , but I would LOVE to own a martin & Schwartz gasoline pump like the one in the back ground . The kit itself really was a nice offering and I guess , along with the Studebaker Avanti, were some really well ahead of the pack kits in 1966.....

My holy grail kits are 

•Amt Indy drag combo

•Amt 1979 ford bronco

•Mpc 1974 dodge pickup 

•modlehause 1964 dodge D100 single cab long box ( this kit is the #1 on my want list due to the fact that I have a 1-1 that I am currently building)

•Mpc ford double flip pickup (it was my first model and I never got it finished because it had missing parts and I ended up wrecking the cab)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

For me it was a Shelby Daytona Cobra Coupe, but I know have two, one Gunze and one from HRM. So now, it would be a 1/12 scale Shelby Mustang GT350 from Revell. I know the kit has inaccuracies but I'd convert it to an R code car anyways. Every once in a while one crops up on Ebay but I always seem to miss the ones that go at a decent price, or if the price is right, too many parts are missing or damaged beyond repair. So I keep looking, part of the enjoyment is tracking the right one down.

Revell 7479 ShelGT350.JPG

Trying to think if anymore there's anything that would get me really crazy. The only one really popping up is a resin kit: Duryea 1895 that was done by a company called Genesis. It was in the group of stuff I had stolen a couple of years ago. The company I guess folded up fairly quickly and only ever seen one for sale. Unfortunately it was already sold and it was mine. When I checked the buyer's listing he had about 10 other (most fairly obscure) kits from my stolen stuff for sale. E-bay wouldn't do anything, neither would the small town police department, yes still somewhat upset and bitter about the whole situation. For a plastic kit, maybe a AMT 58 Ford, but got more then enough to last the rest of my life at the tectonic rate I build at.