Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 57 Chevy custom - rebuild

aksarben

Hey thanks I wanted to get some ideas on how to make them working on a project where I will be using them. Thanks for the ideas. How do you feel do you want the car to sit in the bags deflated or filled look. Tryin to figure mine out thought about trying to make some adjustable ones. Any Thoughts, your scratch building is pretty good to it still amazes me what we can do with a little plastic and glue.

(null)

I hadn't really given it much thought about whether or not these bags would be represented as filled or deflated. I guess since the car sits so low it would have to be deflated, or partially inflated.

For making adjustable ones, maybe instead of the tall center piece running through the bag you could have an upper and a lower piece that slide independently through the bag so the ride hieght could be adjusted. Just the first thing that ran through my mind..

Steve

Beautiful build Steve, I was wondering how those wheels were going to work out for you....they look great on the Chevy.

I'm almost done with the goofy DUB body you sent me, many thanks, it's working out perfectly for what I'm using it for.

Hey thanks Don, this sure is a fun build so far.

And thanks for the Dart, I'm looking forward to that project it looks like a great kit.

I havn't seen a build thread on the "DUB" body, have you started one and I just missed it? I'm very curious to see what you are doing to it. Let me know or do we just have to wait and see what you whip up with it?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

An update,

I have the chassis painted and the rear air lines in place, as well as the gas tank and fuel lines. The rear axle and four link peices are painted and ready for assembly, just wanted to get these lines out of the way first.

000_0037.jpg

Next I've started on the engine.

I made a scratch built intake from sheet stryene..

100_0840.jpg

100_0841.jpg

100_0845.jpg

here is the completed intake in place on the engine, which has been painted as well.

100_0867.jpg

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would post what I have done lately.

Been working on the interior, I scratchbuilt these belts from craft ribbon and sheet plastic. The Sparco decals are homemade as well...

000_0064.jpg

Here is the dash complete. The stereo was scratch built many years ago when this model was first built, I just freshened it up a bit.

The keys were cut from pop can aluminum.

Pedals are .032 aluminum sheet, drilled and polished.

The guage faces were drawn out in Photoshop and printed on glossy photo paper. The lens covers were cut from clear sheet plastic.

The guage needles were fun, very thin wire painted and glued to stretched sprue..

000_0069.jpg

One last shot, the gear shift from alumium tubing...

000_0071.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Steve

What ribbon, specifically, did you use for the belts? I was looking at various ribbon at Hobby Lobby the other day. Some look more convincing than others and am just curious. Your '57 looks absolutely fantastic so far. Your scratch-building skills are out of this world! Keep up the wonderful work!

What ribbon, specifically, did you use for the belts?

Thanks Scott.

This is what I used, found at Hobby Lobby.

000_0072.jpg

I had to cut it to the width I needed as it is around 3/8 " wide. I also had to glue it to some paper first to keep it from fraying as it did without the paper.

It has just the right scale texture I think for this scale though and is pretty convincing.

Steve

Hey thanks Don, this sure is a fun build so far.

And thanks for the Dart, I'm looking forward to that project it looks like a great kit.

I havn't seen a build thread on the "DUB" body, have you started one and I just missed it? I'm very curious to see what you are doing to it. Let me know or do we just have to wait and see what you whip up with it?

Steve

Steve, when I get the modified DUB body in primer I'll post some pics...it'll be called Wiley E. Coyotes Revenge.

I love they way you've handled the interior on the '57.....sweet!

Thanks Brodie!

I have the four link suspension started, just some blocks in place where the bags will go, just to get the ride height.

Will add the bags and scratch build some shocks out of alluminum.

100_0950.jpg

Here is a "stance" mockup, this thing is too big for my photo booth..

100_0949.jpg

"O" so cool!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...