Model Cars Magazine Forum

Altereds ...........

Hi John, I was thrilled too to see those tilted Bantams from the Awful Altered website. I've seen tubs on the Fiats, but none on the Bantam cars. Well, except for my model. I'll be attaching them to the body so they'll lift off when the body tilts back.

Did the underside of the rear end get messy with burnt rubber particles? How were the cars kept clean underneath? Also, the floor pan, did your car have the pan inside the frame, or was it hung from underneath? Did your feet have any extra support or was the aluminum pan all that your feet rested on?

Yet another question, if your car didn't have any tubs, was there debris flying into the car from the track, or from the spinning slicks?

I hope you don't mind me hitting you with this trivia, but we don't have many guys who would know this info and I think it's really interesting, and that I can make my model more accurate as well.

Michael

The Rastetter car had a chassis built by Don Hardy from Floydada, Texas (He also built the chassis for Kelly Chadwick's funny cars and some of the Gapp & Roush Pro Stocks) ............. all the pedals and equipment were attached directly to the chassis tubes ............ the aluminum floor bolted to the bottom of the chassis tubes (very much like the floor of a dragster or funny car chassis) ............. I can't tell you about the fuel altered situations, but the Rastetter car didn't throw that much rubber and almost none of what it did made it into the drivers compartment ............ most of the debris which got thrown was fired out behind the car as there really wasn't any body behind the slicks............ almost never had to clean the 9" Ford rear end .......... other than a small burnout, you didn't want that car spinning the slicks at all ..........

ABQ1.jpg

John, that's sick!

I love it!

Do you have more pics of this beauty?

Yes sir, it's a '48 English Ford Thames van ........ powered by a 327 cubic inch '65 Corvette engine ........ TurboHydro 350 trans with B&M clutches and converter ........... 9" Ford rear with 3.50:1 gears ..........it's an old Gasser that's been converted to a street rod

BB07.jpg

Timmy04-1.jpg

BB11.jpg

BB12.jpg

DSC00649-1024.jpg

Edited by Old Coyote

OMG!

That car is totally sick.

What a beauty, paint, details, the wheels, simply a dream. No chrome around the windshield either. You are a lucky fellow!

Michael

PS: I'm sure folks have made lots of comments to you about this vehicle. I'll bet there were some really outstanding comments too. Like, "does it have a Hemi", or "what about gas mileage". Can you share any of these with us?

PS: I'm sure folks have made lots of comments to you about this vehicle. I'll bet there were some really outstanding comments too. Like, "does it have a Hemi", or "what about gas mileage". Can you share any of these with us?

The most common thing people ask about when they see the car sitting at a cruise-in or show is "How can you drive it on the streets with no license plates?" ................ North Carolina only requires a rear plate, and my plate is on an electric swivel mount ............. turn the ignition on and it rotates down under the drag chute between the wheelie bars :lol:

That's a neat thames is the injection mechanical or electronic made to appear to be mechanical?

The car really isn't injected, it is carbureted (600cfm Edelbrock) ............ the "injectors" are a shroud which contains a K&N filter .......... it was made by Alan Shadwick in Auckland, New Zealand ............... it gives us the old "Gasser" look (which this car really was) without the hassle of real mechanical injectors .................. we have the dependability of a carb :D

Edited by Old Coyote

John

Your Thames is stunning! You did an amazing job with it. The look of the injectors is perfect. (I think is see some carb linkage hiding in there.) I could be wrong. Does not matter either way. I would LOVE to have that beauty in my driveway.

Scott

You see correctly .............. there is indeed carburetor linkage controlling the Edelbrock 600 carb .............. a lot of people don't even notice the carb when looking at the real thing :D