Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th Dukes Charger * 3/28/15* Update, **DAISY DUKE AUTOGRAPH**

Rdkingjay

• 1 month later...

So, since Georges '59 impala was completed, it is time to pull this thing from the back burner (again) and try and finish it once and for all. The polishing was completed, followed by a coat of black wash in the seams. My scratch built fuel door was installed next. Then, the rear valence was painted, the chrome strip BMF'ed and R/T logo applied. The tailights look a little out of scale, but after 2 1/2 years of fiddling with this thing, if they fit, they're fine. Also installed the back glass with its scratch built chrome trim piece. I also made door and trunk locks using a thin piece of styrene rod, covered in BMF. Installed them in pre-drilled holes and VIOLA, locks that feel and look like something besides a paint dot. I found a way of mounting the hood so that it would'nt shift around in its poorly designed cut-outs in the firewall, by securing a piece of styrene tubing betwen the hoods hinge pins, then gluing the styrene tube up under the cowl. As a result the hood now stays open on its own, closes securely and the gaps stay the same on the sides and rear. Thanks for looking.

110-vi.jpg

111-vi.jpg

112-vi.jpg

So my first time using alclad appears to have been successful. I swiped a side view mirror, wipers and door handles from 1/18th junkers that I found at a yard sale. The chrome was beat so alclad was my only option. They turned out pretty good. Definitely not silver, but close enough to chrome. Had to scratch build a set of sun visors because the molded in ones are laughable. Also added a dome light. I don't recall where I found the bow and arrow set, but I thought it would make a nice addition to the interior. So all that's left at this point, as the grill is attached and drying, is to build a nice base for the CB antenna, finish the scratch-built piece between the grille and radiator support, maybe fab up a hood latch and attach the roll pans. My next post could quite possibly be the last on this WIP thread! Thanks for looking and Happy New Year to you all.

113-vi.jpg

114-vi.jpg

115-vi.jpg

116-vi.jpg

Ive been building models since I was 5 yrs old. Now Im 43 & hardly building much. In all my yrs building, Im very impressed with the detail you guys put in these models. That General Lee is one AWESOME piece of work. Out standing job on the build. That looks amazing. Keep up the great work.

Done!! Just a few teasers until I get some more favorable conditions outside to photograph this thing. I'm very proud of this car and can't wait until March to show it. Including five months in storage it took just over two and half years to build. Can you say "separation anxiety"?

117-vi.jpg

118-vi.jpg

119-vi.jpg

120-vi.jpg

121-vi.jpg

Excellent job on the General Jay!!! :) I've really enjoyed watching all these updates and seeing all the modifications you've made. Round 2/MPC should do the same and turn this kit into a stock Charger the way you have.

I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got it autographed by Catherine Bach aka Daisy Duke, who made an appearance at the spring Turkey Rod Run here in Daytona Beach today. She was very gracious and down to earth and was more then happy to use care in signing the hood of my car. The staff that assisted her were all over my car, asking questions and taking pictures of it. Many comments were made by them, as they were familiar with the particular model and what needed to be done to correct it into a more accurate looking GL. It was a thrilling day for me to say the least. Thank you all again for your comments. take care and thanks for looking.

138DaisyDuke-vi.jpg

141DaisyDuke-vi.jpg

1422015SpringTurkeyRun-vi.jpg

neBachAuto_2015SpringTurkeyRun-vi.jpg