Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970`s NASCAR questions

Hayabusa

Hi,

I´m wondering if NASCARs from the 70´s used metal braided lines (fuel, oil etc.)?

I found these pictures; http://www.hodgerestorations.com/Race%20Car%20Restoration.html

I realize it´s a restoration i.e. it may not be 100% historical correct, but judging from this picture: http://www.hodgerestorations.com/current/14%20Race%20Car/100%2084.JPG it seems that at least some lines were plain rubber ones.

Any help is appreciated.

/Stefan

Sjoberg...You've got me wondering now. I'm 99 percent sure the used rubber through the late 1970's.

I'll do some research on this, as I too am getting ready to start work on a 1973 Petty Charger (1/16th scale).

By the way, I love the website you attached to your post.

Vernon

• 2 weeks later...

I would say if the team was a perenial contender for the Winston Cup year after year it was more likely to have the braided lines. So Petty, Bobby Allison, the Wood Brothers (with Pearson, Parsons and Baker at the wheel)... probably the high end equipment. Somebody like Dave Marcus or J.D. McDuffie... probably the rubber hoses in the early 70s although the more savy independents probably jumped on things pretty quick by about 1976-77-78 when they realized that investing a little more in the lines would help lead to longevity of the motor and oil systems (leading to less rebuilds, in turn leading to having to spend less in the long run). Then you've got some independents like Marty Robbins (the country singer) who weren't opposed to sticking a bigger motor in their car JUST so they could pass Richard Petty once in a race to say they did it. ;)

@MAGNUM4342 - The text says "before the car was restored" and it does indeed look like "not restored". Anyway, like others in this thread I guess Petty was one of the teams to use braided lines early on. What I´ve also seen in photos are lines that are textile/nylon braided, not metal braided.

Edited by Hayabusa