Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hi Guys,

This is a project that I started in 2011 but got put to one side for about a year and a half. It stalled when I realised the floor and firewall wouldn't fit as the engine is slightly further back in the chassis. I'm currently working on making a new floor, firewall, etc.

It has scratch built frame rails that incorporate the suspension from the Revell prostreet Willys kit. The fenders were modified to take the wide tyres at the back (with the pickup bed given tubs). The engine is the hemi block from the Revell 5 widow kit with other bits taken from various places.

I am hoping to get this finished soon so plan to spend quite a bit of time on over the next few weeks and will update this thread with my progress. Anyway, here's a few pictures to get you a feel for where I am at the moment.

The chassis is pretty much complete:

32prostreetchassispic2c_zpse641efda.jpg

The engine needs the injector hat to be finished and then it'll be ready:

32prostreetenginepic2c_zps2085940c.jpg

A mock-up to see how everything fits together:

32prostreetmockc_zps90b54a71.jpg

All comments, suggestions, etc. always welcome!

Cheers,

Jim

beautiful Jim, love the stance. lots of times street rods sit too high for me in the back when you pro street them, but you nailed it!! motor looks great, that IS aluminum parts right? glad you pulled this one back out and shared it with us. will be waiting for the completion of this one.

post-5121-0-06435800-1395144663_thumb.jp

Hi,

Thanks for the comments guys!

Tubbs - quite a bit of work went into getting the Willys suspension right with the scratch built rails and modified fenders, pleased you like the stance, the pulleys are aluminium.

thanks, looks really great. motivates me to get my 32 pro street highboy done.

Thanks for the comments!

Michael - building hot rod models is a great section of the hobby as there are so many ways you can go with them.

Have now finished making the new floor and have done some rails for the pickup bed.

Will get some pics up tomorrow (quite busy today).

Hi Guys.

Here's the completed floor/firewall assembly. It'll be painted the same colour as the rest of the truck with blue flocking for the carpeted area.

32prostreetinteriorpic4c_zpsd337adcb.jpg

I've also finished making some rails to go over the wood in the pickup bed. The assembly will be painted either Testors Polished Aluminium Metaliser or with Alclad (either chrome or polished aluminium, haven't decided yet).

32prostreetbedc_zps6ef8b19b.jpg

A mock-up to make sure the new assembly has cured the fit problems:

32prostreetmock2c_zps427e966f.jpg

Working on the parachute and steering box now.

Edited by Jim Whalen

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Work is progressing on this build. I have now sprayed the new floor/firewall assembly and it has now been flocked with the seats, gear lever and photo-etched pedals in place:

32prostreetinteriorpic5c_zpsfec5ae43.jpg

As the fenders are a little further apart and the Revell '32 headlight bars a little tricky anyway I have made a new headlight bar using silver plated wire and plastic card:

32prostreetheadlightsc_zps31d6dad9.jpg

A driveshaft has been made from the u-joints from the 5 window kit along with some aluminium tubing. I have also used aluminium tubing and plated wire to make up the final part of the exhaust system:

32prostreetdriveshaftc_zps78121d63.jpg

It all fits together now so when I have repainted the injector hat (for the 5th or 6th time!) I will be able to press on with final assembly:

32PickupMockUpPic9c_zps76eca9d8.jpg

Hoping to get the build done by the end of this month. Any comments or suggestions always welcome!

Hi Guys,

I'm about to cut the windows for this build and would like to put numbers on one of them like you see on the competitor's vehicles. I believe this vehicle may belong in Super Street but would like someone to put me right on this and what I would need to put in the window.

Thanks!