Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Chevelle 300 Deluxe

Greg Pugh

As previously mentioned, the only build-up of this car that I've seen that had a decent looking butt had taillights and a rear bumper from the Modelhaus, so I ordered the rear bumper, rear taillight lenses and the front bumper/grille assy from them. The front bumper/grille assy is almost identical to the kit-supplied piece but there are a couple of differences. 1) the bumper is opened up where the turn signals are as the kit-supplied one is not. The Modelhaus' version does not have turn signals in the holes so I will need to come up with something there. 2) the fitment is much better and 3) the chrome is of much better quality and there is no annoying mold seams like the kit-supplied one has.

First we'll fiddle around with the taillights as this is what I'm most anxious to see how it looks. I've got a little bit of time into some body filler and sanding and more body filler and a little more sanding...but I've got it pretty close for tonight. I'm going to shoot some primer on it and take another look and probably finish it up next time I'm at the table. I'll also do some foiling to the horizontal piece of trim that goes across the taillight lens and add reverse lights so they'll look even better than they do now. Anybody that knows this kit can vouch though that this is a MAJOR improvement over the kit-supplied taillights. I'll post some pics when it's all ready to go and then we'll move onto the front of the car.

Let me know what ya think!!.....

28-vi.jpg

29-vi.jpg

30-vi.jpg

Can I make a suggestion? Cut the turn signals out of the kit bumper, Clean them up, And mount them to the Modelhaus bumper. Just Bare Metal the sides of the lights after you cut them out and clean them up, I can't remmember if they were Clear or Amber, I don't have my book by me right now, I personally would do that, I cover the entire light with BMF then, If they are clear, I thin down the Testors Clear Parts cement with water, And flow it into the recessed area, And when it drys, It looks like a clear lense, I thin the glue to the consistancy of milk, Then I flow it on heavy one time only, When dry you have the clear lense. The back of that car looks ALOT better with that Modelhaus bumper and taillight unit. The kit bumper and taillights ruin the whole look of the car in the back. I wish they would have reissued that kit with the correct bumper you have way back when the first reissue was produced in the 1970's CountDown series of kits.Also before you get to far on the Chassis, Make sure you file down the front area where the interior meets the chassis at the rear,The Chassis is the part you need to file down,In the front of the rear wheelwells at the same angle as how they are molded, Or it will sit with all the wheels moved back,Not centered like they should be.I have built this kit about 10 times so far, And after the third one I did that, And it made a big difference in how well the wheels sat inside the wheelwells. Hope this helps.

Edited by spkgibson

Thanks for the suggestion Steve. That's the way I was thinking about going with the turnsignals. Great minds think alike! :)

I already fixed the chassis up. I noticed that problem right away. Thanks for watching and for any tips/suggestions you might have.

That nasty lookin rear end is why I bought the 68 conversion kit from Modelhaus. It's also the reason I preffer the 68 Chevelle over the 69. NEVER liked the tailight treatment of the 69's. Your doin a GREAT job on this rascal. What color is it gonna be? It's lookin GOOD!!!!:DB);)

Thanks for the suggestion Steve. That's the way I was thinking about going with the turnsignals. Great minds think alike! :D

I already fixed the chassis up. I noticed that problem right away. Thanks for watching and for any tips/suggestions you might have.

Glad I could help, Yup we do think alike! B) Edited by spkgibson

That nasty lookin rear end is why I bought the 68 conversion kit from Modelhaus. It's also the reason I preffer the 68 Chevelle over the 69. NEVER liked the tailight treatment of the 69's. Your doin a GREAT job on this rascal. What color is it gonna be? It's lookin GOOD!!!!:P:(;)

I'm painting it Grabber Yellow with Black down low below the body line (kinda like the SS cars did). This is how my buddy wants to do his 1/1 car. I know, I know....Grabber Yellow is a Ford color but it's the perfect shade for what my buddy wanted and what I wanted for my '40 Ford pickup that I'm building right now also. Convenience is good! :blink:

40FordPickup13-vi.jpg

Edited by gpugh1976

Very nice looking build! :(

What kit did you source the small block and headers?

The Modelhaus bumpers that are sourced from the 1969 annual and promo is what I used on my '69 Chevelle. It is the only way to go when building this car.

DSC00334-vi.jpg

Now see....that looks good!! Nice job on that Chevelle!! How did your front end turn out?

The small block and headers are from AMT's '33/'34 Ford Tudor Sedan and also their '34 Ford 5 window coupe. I love these engines. Weiand aluminum intake, Weiand air cleaner, Edelbrock valve covers, nice headers, but the best thing for me is it has "Camel-hump" heads!! Perfect for muscle car builds! :P

So honestly I originally wasn't going to remove the molded in chrome trim that follows the lower body line. But, I thought about it and thought about it and I just can't ignore stuff like this so.....off it comes. More bodywork!! Yay! B)

31-vi.jpg

32-vi.jpg

33-vi.jpg

Edited by gpugh1976

Thanks everyone for your support. :)

Yes, it has the vent windows. I almost missed that too but Mr Obsessive pm'd me thankfully and let me know. I intend on making separate pieces that I'll use alclad on and install after it's painted. I'm off today so I'm hoping to have all of the bodywork done by the end of the day.