Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford LTL 9000 Custom with Livestock Trailer

Mathew looking forward to see more of the great build, the work outstanding. And I do know with you mean about life brother.

Yep, I'm chomping at the bit to get life back in order so I can spend some time with the ole girl again. I have some new goodies to put on her and some plans in store to try and make this baby a true largecar! :lol:

• 3 months later...

Well, my friends, I just wanted to give you all a small update on progress not necessarily on the build but more like life will soon allow me to resume working on this big baby again. I have been spending my weekdays with my 1:1 baby...

082813111052_zps747dca0c.jpg

...and weekends (except for this one where I was sent to Florida instead of being home :angry: ) moving into my new house (half a duplex) that I'm renting with my girlfriend Jennifer. I have slowly been moving the model collection out of storage and went to my friend's and finally brought the big Ford back home! :D It was good just to temporarily unpack her and mock her up for my friends i was staying with and Jen, none of them had seen it except for pics. I have some work to do in arranging my basement into my new model room, but the plus side is that there is already a work bench in the basement that just may become my new model bench. Stay tuned, and progress will be slow at the start because I don't have internet at the house yet, but as soon as I play a little catch up from the expense of moving in, internet will be on and then progress will hopefully get better, especially after I can get an order for some goodies from P&P Resin Works! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Attempt #2 is coming back together, I just have the driver's side wall and floor to reglue in place:

HPIM1718.jpg

I'm making it stronger this time, using some extra bracing behind the walls and some five min epoxy to hold it all together. The Bondo work on the roof is done (I used enough hardener this time!!) and after the other wall and floor is on, I'm going to sand the rivets off to make everything smooth as most of the real ones are and more Bondo S&G putty to smooth everything together. Hopefully, the temps here are going to be in the low 60s by the end of the week, so I may have the truck in primer by this weekend!

What kind of body filler did you use?

• 3 months later...

What kind of body filler did you use?

Keone, sorry I didn't answer this much sooner, but the 1:1s and life have sort of kept me away from building and the forum for a while. If you notice in the post you quoted, I used regular Bondo for the big work and the touch up I used Bondo Spot and Glaze putty. The light colored is the regular Bondo and the dark red is the Bondo S&G putty.

Glad to hear this one will be getting attention again!

Well Chuck, it did get a little attention! :lol:

This is by far not a major update, but an update and hopefully the first of many to come! As I was looking through some of my supplies and paints that have been in storage at a friend's house for nearly two years while life was getting the better of me, I stumbled across some flocking powders I had bought long ago at Michael's (Martha Stewart Powders IIRC) and found a nice Chestnut Brown powder. Then it hit me, that would be a perfect match for the interior colors I have already used in the truck! So now Thunderstuck has a nice carpet floor up front!

HPIM4748_zps8e87a69b.jpg

i'm still trying to get life back to normal and get my new model room set up between work and the two days a week I get home out of the truck now, but at least I'm getting life back to normal. I have some BIG plans in the ole noggin floating around, and now that I'm getting a little extra cash to play with, I'll be getting some of those plans in the mail. I'm going to keep you all in suspense what those plans are, but I will give a little teaser, I have a HUGE plan for under the hood! :o

Matt... PLEASE HURRY UP AND FINISH THIS!!!

Your cows are outside my door threatning me because I know you. They want me to ask you to finish it up so they can get MOOOOOvin'

HOLY COW BATMAN!! Maybe this is not a good time then to say that one of the possible surprises just might be a change in trailers!?!? :huh::blink:

• 9 months later...

Well, I finally decided to knock some dust off of this and do a little to it tonight. Well, OK, not much dust was knocked off it! :lol:

IMG_20150107_002108_254_zps0ba0b20e.jpg

There is a surprise lurking under the hood though, it now has it's motivation! I have always been a Detroit man, and what better for this big custom than BIG Detroit power. Series 60, good engine, but just not big enough. 8V71 or 8V92, still just not enough. Buzzen Dozen, we're getting close! A custom rig needs a custom engine, and she's got that, a custom 16V-71N!!

IMG_20150107_002417_538_zps2852080f.jpg

Thanks to Clayton (Petetrucker07) sending me some extra Detroits from his stash, I took one of them and a partially started one from a GMC General long on the shelf and cut the bell housing off of one and glued that block to the started one I had (which was replaced in the General with one of the others he sent me) to make this beastly motivation. It seems as if it will fit fine under the hood and still needs a little massaging to fit level and behind the radiator, and I have to figure out an oil pan setup, because the oil pans are made to line up with the front mount, which obviously the second half doesn't have, and air induction will need to be custom made, but at least this beast now will have a beastly heartbeat!! :D

Nice! :rolleyes:

I can't say I'm a huge fan of a GM-built Detroit in a Ford (even though you could certainly order them that way), but I do have to say that powerplant ought to supply more than adequate punch.

Yeah Chuck, usually in hot rods the last thing I like to see is a GM engine under a Ford hood!! It's just not right!! :lol: Even though I know Detroit was a GM brand then, anything beats a Cummapart!! I figure 16 cylinders breathing through the big exhaust (8 inch stacks) that I'm planning on getting from Ryan Mlynek's Rhino's Truck Parts will say "GET OUT OF MY WAY!!" very nicely! :D

Also everyone, this will probably not be pulling the bullrack for long, if at all. I have decided to get a Moebius Reefer to put on the fifth wheel. I figure that with some aluminum foil treatment like I did on this reefer would be a nice chicken hauler!

HPIM1580.jpg

Who knows, it may even see a Walmart trailer after the smoothside roll door version comes out, sorta like my dream work truck. Good luck getting into some of my stores with it though!!

One more addition to the build, it will actually be wearing this as a company name:

IMG_20141224_141256_974_zps638eb51d.jpg

Yes, that IS my last name, NO it is not my company, and I don't know if I happen to be related to the owner or not.

• 3 months later...

Well, not a huge update, other than this is on the back burner once again thanks to life issues AGAIN! :angry: Thanks to some personal issues, it is now residing in a box under the bunk of my 1:1 Cascadia with me temporarily until I get a home that is not on wheels again, but once I do find a new non moving home, I will have much more free time on my hands and plan to get this back to front burner status, along with a new addition.

IMG_20150415_233932_053_zpszxwdel7h.jpg

The original trailer is going to be finding a home on the fifth wheel of this, and I plan for it to be a chicken truck! :lol: I'm going to make it stainless and light it up like a Christmas tree, and maybe the smoothside will make an occasional appearance on the Ford as well hauling some Walmart freight! :lol:

• 7 months later...

Well, it has certainly been a while since I visited and updated here, life has been a roller coaster in the personal part and very busy in the professional part, but at least since the last post in this thread, I have made this just my workplace again....

....and has not been home since I moved into a 2 bedroom apartment in May, and one is my exclusive model room! I still haven't had too much time to do very much, but I did get a new model desk....

....and have spent a little time at it, but I'm still in the process of moving the collection the 45 miles from storage I have in Wheeling WV to the new home in Wintersville OH about 5 miles away from the DC I haul out of. I'm hoping now that I'm just focusing on work and with colder weather in the future here will also be spending more time at home on my days off (and the personal roller coaster finally being parked because I'm getting sick of heartache, I'm giving up on having anyone else in my life for a long while thanks to that roller coaster) I'm hoping to get more done on this project this winter and hopefully done for the next contest around this area next year. 

There has been some progress between work and the personal life getting in the way. I did get these 8" stacks from Rhino's Custom Model Truck Parts, it just so happens Ryan that has it doesn't live very far from me, so I picked them up to save shipping LOL! 

They are very nice pieces and were going to let the 16V71 breathe freely, but ran into a couple problems. The stacks are a little short for the height I want, so they will be saved for a daycab project, because the bigger issue is the beast is a little large too. 

I'm still deciding what to motivate my largecar with, but it will either be the Buzzen Dozen I've wanted since the plan changed way long ago or I have been throwing around the idea of a 3406 or 3408 Kitty Cat. 

As for the trailer, the bullrack has been sent to the packing plant and this beast won't be hauling life cows, it will be hauling hamburger!! It is getting the Moebius Great Dane as in the last post, but with one exception to that idea. I will occasionally have this hauling Walmart freight (took some nice pics of a brand new Dane a few weeks ago for markings for the smoothside) but the ribside will not be a stainless as I stated before. I did something I don't do because I like flexibility with my trailers.

I had some of the paint left from the tractor and figured I'd give the trailer a little more of a custom look by spraying the reefer unit with it last Friday thanks to an unusually warm day in this area and an unexpected day off from work thanks to low freight in the grocery division on Black Friday, WELL.........I liked the look of it so much and I had some more left so I thought I'd see what the sides would look like as well. Now the problem is, I still need to put a couple more coats on everything, and I'm OUT OF PAINT, so I'm going to have to get another can and then I'll still have more to use LOL! I still have more of the frame paint as well, so the landing gear and rear suspension will be painted to match the truck frame the next warm day I get. That's all for now, but hopefully this project will be seeing more attention soon. I know for sure I have some tweaking to the wing to do, it is sitting a little high and straight up for my liking. 

Great to hear from you Matt , I was beginning to wonder if the truckstop food had kilt ya :blink:

That Beats of a Ford looks more at home with that trailer, but I think it would look even better with a Bedbug hauler.

Nope, I don't spend too much time in truckstops anymore with my dedicated gig and living about 5 miles from the DC means I spend almost every night at home now Sean. The only food that would have kilt me was my own cooking, not thankfully that hasn't happened either, YET!  :lol: 

And you're giving me ideas LOL! I have planned since I started this one of doing another custom with an even larger sleeper, and I just so happen to have an old AMT NASCAR hauler/moving van kit that I haven't quite figured out what to do with yet.;)

Good to see your still kickin Matt. Nice to see Schneider is keeping you busy. Great to see an update on this. Keep the shiney side up.

Yep, still kickin and busy, and thanks Clayton.

Very Cool build! I like the Sleeper!! The engine choice isn't bad either!

Thank you Brian.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been doing a little off and on with this, have the front axle mounted and shocks installed. I still have to put the drums on and the brake chambers, and have been throwing around the idea of plumbing the air system. 

Even though I did this before I painted the tandem and landing gear, I also modified the landing gear crank to look as if it is in the stored position. I REALLY didn't like how Moebius molded the crank sticking out as if you were cranking the legs up or down. A little heat from a candle and a quick bend was all it took to make it look stored. 

I also took a little more off the support for the back of the wing, and I think I have it just where I want it now, it appears to me as if it is just under the height of the trailer the way it should be. 

I may also have another idea for motivation, even though I love my green engines, this one sorta looks good in the frame rails, at least until the Tyrone Malone kits get reissued and I pick up a case or two for the big Buzzen Dozens! :lol:

If I do stick with the 3406 though, it would give me an excuse to put an "Attack Cat" on the hood! :lol: