Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Star and 53 ft Great Dane reefer

The Post Man brought me a package this morning - in it was the ProStar Mock-up.. When I opened the box I found the mock-up had been prety well trashed en route from our factory!

Here are a few photos of today's project!

After most of the day re-constructing the mock-up I have a ProStar to show our licensor for their approval... Going to make arrangements tomorrow to drive it over to Navistar's offices

001-M.jpg

004-M.jpg

006-M.jpg

009-M.jpg

014-M.jpg

015-M.jpg

Dave

Wow, looks like they have the Samsonite goriila working shipping! Nice salvage job.

I just recently bought a LoneStar and I am pleased with it. After seeing the mock-up, the Prostar just went to the top of my to-get list(along with the Great Dane trailer).

Very nice! I see the Postal Service is still on the ball... :angry: This, though, is proof that Moebius has a true modeler running things here! Which, to me, is one of many reasons why they'll succeed at what they do. Nice rescue work, Dave! That is a fine looking truck. It truly is a fine time to be in this hobby!

We ship mock-ups back and forth pretty regularly. The big reason that this got destroyed is in the way it was packed.

It was packed as a complete model sitting on it's wheels inside a foam box without support under the bulk of the model.

The first time it was dropped probably broke the frame - each time it was dropped or thrown after than just compounded the damage.

Every so often they let somebody who doesn't understand that plastic models are easy to break pack these things at the factory - that's when I get a box-o-parts!

Can't lay the blame on the Post office we know how they handle packages.. It's not their fault that our guy did a lousy job of packing this thing.

When this goes back it'll go back as sub-assemblies each one in a plastic bag or wrapped in bubble and submerged in peanuts. so that it is imobilized inside the packaging. NOT sitting on it's wheels in the bottom of a box.. I'll probably go so far as to remove the dual wheels and bag them up separately.

It may not arrive back at the factory totally un scathed but it won't be a pile of parts.

Yes the frame is shorter than LoneStar - the ProStar is a 217 inch wheelbase - while LoneStar is 260. That 217 looks real short when you sit it next to the 260.

Edited by Dave Metzner

I have had boxes arrive that looked like they'd been kicked all the way from China to my door...

This box came in really good shape - We have learned to double box everything - this tends to reduce the number of balls - o- cardboard that I get.

The real problem with this mock-up was that it was just not packed well.

This ProStar is a 15L ProStar same as our LoneStar -

The 13L is also available in ProStar in real life. However we don't have tooling for the 13L and it is an entirely different engine with no parts comon to the 15L.

The 15L is a decendant of the Cat C-15 I'd have to do some digging to find the linneage of the 13L..

Edited by Dave Metzner

I have had boxes arrive that looked like they'd been kicked all the way from China to my door...

This box came in really good shape - We have learned to double box everything - this tends to reduce the number of balls - o- cardboard that I get.

The 13L is also available in ProStar in real life. However we don't have tooling for the 13L and it is an entirely different engine with no parts comon to the 15L.

The 15L is a decendant of the Cat C-15 I'd have to do some digging to find the linneage of the 13L..

And the C-15 is a decendant of the 3406.

If I am not mistaken(and I could verywell be) International bought the rights to all of Cats truck engine,so I am prettysure the 13L engine is also from the C-13 base.

We are working on Box art for the Great Dane trailer now--It's One of several projects that our art director is working on.

I'm sure that we'll post it once we get it done..

I knew that the MaxxForce 11 and 13 were based on European engines jus didn't remember the specifics.

My recollection is that Navistar acquired all of Cat's over the road engines when Cat decided to get out of the over the road truck business..