Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

Very cool kits. About 10 years to late for me. The shows I liked like that were all in the 1950's and 60's. So I built the Starship Enterprise, Batman, the Batmobile, the Bat Plane, Superman, the Green Hornet's Black Beauty, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea's Seaview, and things like that. The Six Million Dollar Man came out when I was in high school and probably thought I was too cool and mature for that. The same way with Knight Rider, Welcome Back Kotter, and other kits based on those shows. The only show from the 70's that I ever built a model of is the Space 1999 Eagle. And that only happen in the last two years.

But, still the above kits you have Jesse are very cool. I can see why kids who grew up with that show would want them. Steve Austin is basically the TV Superman of the 70's. And like Superman, I can see where the Six Million Dollar Man could be very cool. Especially to a kid of the time.

I hope someday you build them. I'd love to see Steve Austin fighting both the gorilla and the crocodile. Breaking down the door doesn't look all that interesting to me. After all, the Aurora Superman model from the 60's looks almost the same. Just a little cooler with him punching through a brick wall. But, didn't Steve Austin have only one bionic arm? And two bionic legs? So I guess that's why he has to kick his way through his.

Edited by unclescott58

• 1 month later...

Last year I saw an Australian four door 60 wagon in an Adelaide antique shop. Only one I've ever seen, white and hideously warped but at $225 it can stay there!

Bringing this thread back - look what just turned up on eBay :o:

aus_falcon_wagon_1.thumb.jpg.5c7c809160d

1962 Falcon XL wagon - and it's here in IL:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-FORD-FALCON-STATION-WAGON-PROMO-RED-AUSTRALIAN-RIGHT-HAND-DRIVE-RARE-/201632662880?hash=item2ef23e4560:g:z1QAAOSw0fhXjWK~

Quite a buzz to see one of these. Note the date has been removed from the rear bumper; also note the correct short quarter panels of the Aussie wagon.

I wonder if this was mastered by AMT but not molded here, because it's still made of acetate even though AMT quit using that stuff a year earlier. Also note the glass is that same weird clear plastic Jo-Han used in its late '50s promos that, over time, would get all wrinkled on its surface - AMT never used that formula. Were there any Australian plastic toy companies back then that might have produced this promo using the American tooling? I wonder if those molds might still be down under someplace...

• 4 weeks later...

I love that Vanship too.  From a quick buzz around Mr. Google - it's 1/72 scale.  And there are TWO kits in that box - the Vanship and "Fam's Vespa."  Which looks like a Steampunk version of a motorcycle or scooter.  I might have to get one of those.

And thanks to Daddyfink for bringing the TONKA post over here.

Edited by Mike999
Error

Use to watch "Last Exile" on Anime Unleashed.

What ever happened to that series??

I have the others I watched on it as mp4 vid's but have never seen Last Exile

I would love that Vanship too

How many did they do

What about the Carriers??

or other ships of the fleets???

You know much more about this thing than me. The box does  show 3 different paint treatments. Looks like red, OD and silver.

Glad you posted this. The more I look at that thing, the more I think it would be a blast to build one in 1/25 from junk. I have a couple of old GeeBee kits for stubby wings and root fairings, a gluebomb Auburn for the nose and partial fuselage, and certainly some rear fenders around to make the wheel spats out of. Hmmmmm....   :D

The propulsion and flight dynamics are entirely imaginary and fantasy-based, but are well enough explained to make a model that conforms to the idea of how the things are supposed to work entirely feasible.

More here: http://lastexile.wikia.com/wiki/Vanship        Image result for vanship

http://lastexile.wikia.com/wiki/Claudia    

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

P1010135.jpg

P1010130.jpg

I built one of each of those kits back in 1998 after finding them in a department store in Singapore (during a vacation tour).

Being the fairly conservative guy that I guess I am, I eschewed all  the trinkets and baubles, and built the (FUSO) Mitsubishi trucks as I assumed they would have been delivered. As I recall, the instructions were somewhat vague but I persevered and even made the side protector bumpers and cab mirror brackets in soldered brass rod (to replace the oversize and crudely molded kit versions. I also didn't include the electric motors on my models. Although these are simple, crude models, for some bizarre reason I still like them and if others came along at reasonable prices, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a couple more. 

PA130373.JPG

PA130376.JPG

PA130377.JPG

PA130370.JPG

PA130371.JPG

Glad you posted this. The more I look at that thing, the more I think it would be a blast to build one in 1/25 from junk. I have a couple of old GeeBee kits for stubby wings and root fairings, a gluebomb Auburn for the nose and partial fuselage, and certainly some rear fenders around to make the wheel spats out of. Hmmmmm....   :D

The propulsion and flight dynamics are entirely imaginary and fantasy-based, but are well enough explained to make a model that conforms to the idea of how the things are supposed to work entirely feasible.

More here: http://lastexile.wikia.com/wiki/Vanship        Image result for vanship

http://lastexile.wikia.com/wiki/Claudia    

I think it would look better without those rods coming out the back. Since it is a fantasy vehicle I may omit them when I do the build.

Just posted this in the Got Today section but I feel it fits well here also. I never saw it before.

got%20today%20from%20japan%20001_zpsie2y

The above got me to take a look at the first 3 episodes of Last Exile over on YouTube. Over all I like what I've seen so far. Kind of cool. I had never heard of it before this.

And kind of like those tube thingies hanging off the Vanship. They look like they would some important function. What, I don't know? But, if I was building the model, I'd keep them.

I've watched the series, and it is entertaining, and I really like the look of the world they created.  From what I remember, the tubes are what drive it.  There's some mystic substance the engines heat up and pump through the tubes, and that's what provides the lift and propulsion.

Yes, the tubes are integral to the propulsion and lift systems. 

The "mystic substance" is called Claudia.   http://lastexile.wikia.com/wiki/Claudia

Looks a bit like the ships in Riddick that the rulers of the Necromancers used too. Could not find decent pic of them, but they were similarly cool. 

Looks like a Burlington Zephyr met a Hispano Torpedo and a Gladen Aerocar with some TASCO thrown in. Sweet.

I can see how Claudia is a good name for a mystic substance of the universe. I always thought so. Validation is sweet :D:DImage result for schiffer

Edited by keyser
Ms. Schiffer

Ok the rods will stay on. Perhaps now that I know I can see a show on Youtube I will take a peek. Here are some pics of the kit parts.

vanship%20001_zpsohofbiek.jpg

vanship%20002_zpsb40lhaqw.jpg

vanship%20003_zpsizzn9mqi.jpg

Between watching the series, and the above photos, I may have to get the kits. I've watched the first 6 episodes so far, and went a head and ordered the series on DVD. That's how much I like it. It's childish, but cool. But, then again so am I. At least the "childish" part.