Model Cars Magazine Forum

GMC "Big Block" V6 and 702 "Twin-Six"

I've always been fascinated by the GMC V6's (305/351c.i.d.) and the truly odd Twin-Six (702 c.i.d.) , and am wondering if anyone makes one or both of these neat looking engines in 25th scale .

I'd like to build the Tom Daniel's "S'Cool Bus" with a Twin-Six in-place of the kit's engines ; I'd like to add a couple of 6-71 blowers atop as well .

Also , if anyone's made their own 305/351 or 702 Twin-Six out of scratch materials or modified from an existing kits' engines , please feel free to post pics of them here :) .

The V6 was a cut-down 348, and I'd imagine the 351 was a cut-down 409, so you might be able to cobble up something using a spare W-Motor.

Charlie Larkin

Hmm ... sounds like a plan . I thought that those engines looked like chopped W-Engines , but had no idea that they were based upon the tooling of the 348 (ad seq.).

The V6 was a cut-down 348, and I'd imagine the 351 was a cut-down 409, so you might be able to cobble up something using a spare W-Motor.

Charlie Larkin

The GMC V6 shares no parts with the W engine. It was not a "cut down" 348 or 409. In fact, the V6 actually dwarfs the W engine, and even the Mark IV engine that came after it, being a few inches longer and taller, as well as weighing in at around the 800 pound mark, dry. The block is a 60 degree Y block, with a deep skirt at the bottom of the block, unlike the Chevrolet engine, which is a 90 degree block with no skirt. There V6 came in 305, 351, 401, and 478 ci displacements, plus the was a 637 cid V8 based on the same block in addition to the 702 cid V12. The 351 and 478 V6 and the 637 V8 blocks also saw use as Deisels, using the same block with different pistons, heads, and intakes.

Jolly Goodfellow's site is probably the best reference source for these engines. http://www.6066gmcguy.org/gmcv6a.htm

• 1 year later...

There used to be a personal junkyard about a half mile from my parents' house. It had a late '40s early '50s GMC truck setting in it among several others. It had the V-6 engine in it and to me, it looked kinda like a big block with the two rear cylinders lopped off. I wish it was still there or I had taken photos of it. It along with the rest got buried. The saddest part was one of them was a 409 powered '63 Impala.

Charlie Larkin

This type of info drives me nuts. Mr. Burmeister beat me to the punch on this one. Everything he said about the GMC motor is correct. By the way, look at were the spark plugs are on the GMC V6s. This is no Chevy W-Motor. Not even close.

Scott

There used to be a personal junkyard about a half mile from my parents' house. It had a late '40s early '50s GMC truck setting in it among several others. It had the V-6 engine in it and to me, it looked kinda like a big block with the two rear cylinders lopped off. I wish it was still there or I had taken photos of it. It along with the rest got buried. The saddest part was one of them was a 409 powered '63 Impala.

Most likely, what you saw was a '60-'74 GMC.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

None that I'm aware of. Those engines were real monsters compared to the typical V engines of their time, the V6 even dwarfs the big block V8s found in most other vehicles of the time. There really wasn't any parts that swapped with other GM V engines, either. It was a clean slate design, not used in any other GM road vehicles, other than a few models of HD Chevrolet truck as an option.

*Maybe* a Chevrolet 'W' engine could be used as the basis . The rocker covers and heads are close ; probably a cut-and-invert would work .

I believe that the spark plugs are on the intake-side of the ports ? Ignition distributor on the rear of the block , sticking straight-back ?

As a side note ; the early engines' biggest handicap was its atomiser : a tiny , single-pot carb !

I think that a 305 (ad seq.) would look sweet with a 4v71 Jimmy sitting-atop .

Edited by 1972coronet

*Maybe* a Chevrolet 'W' engine could be used as the basis . The rocker covers and heads are close ; probably a cut-and-invert would work .

I believe that the spark plugs are on the intake-side of the ports ? Ignition distributor on the rear of the block , sticking straight-back ?

As a side note ; the early engines' biggest handicap was its atomiser : a tiny , single-pot carb !

I think that a 305 (ad seq.) would look sweet with a 4v71 Jimmy sitting-atop .

We've covered this in another thread in recent months. The Chevrolet "W" will not work. Some good info and photos from what I remember in that other thread. And I believe it was around here in the "Model Building Questions and Answers" section around the beginning of summer. So it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Scott

It was under Truck Aftermarket/Resin. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67543

Just because its; worth reposting, Jolly Goodfellow's site, 6066 GMC Guy, is the best place to get information about the GMC V6/V8/V12 engines, as well as information about '60 to '66 GMC trucks. http://6066gmcguy.com/

Ask your grandfather to whittle you one! Unless you're a really exacting modeler, you could find very close or similar engines, modify them as much as needed and splice them together.

I have no idea about resin casts or if a kit had one. I don't suppose the engine from a 1972 Blazer would be the same, would it?

It was under Truck Aftermarket/Resin. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67543

Just because its; worth reposting, Jolly Goodfellow's site, 6066 GMC Guy, is the best place to get information about the GMC V6/V8/V12 engines, as well as information about '60 to '66 GMC trucks. http://6066gmcguy.com/

Wow! I hit the link to 6066 GMC guy you posted above. Looks like a great source for info on these engines. I've bookmarked it for later use. Thanks for that one Bill. And thanks for the link to the past discussion on this subject too.

Scott