Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg's '64 Plymouth "Lawman"

Bartster

I think R+R makes a sedan and like said I think it's for the johan chassis. but I think JF makes one for the LIndberg kit.

But I was less than pleased with either, so I have already started a conversion to make my own 2 door sedan for the Lindberg kits.

MCW makes a 2dr sedan body that works w/ the Lindberg kit, it's pretty nice.

2nd64plydrsed.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

The Belvedere hardtop would be 100% correct if done as an early '64 season Stage III Max Wedge.

The 2-door posts and 2% Hemi Lawmen (Lawmans?) came later in the '64 season.

I would hope for separate lettering to do allow the modeler to do the candy orange (or is it red? - color pictures show tinges of both) as paint, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they also offered the orange on the decal sheet. All they have to do separately is the "Al Eckstrand" in white. If they wanted to throw a little bonus in there, they could add the decals to do the 64 2% Hemi post car as Joe Aed's '65 season C/Altered class record holder (Eckstrand sold him the 2% car after the 64 season and Aed gutted the interior and added Hilborn injection but kept the paint scheme intact with new lettering) - but that was a post Belvedere with 2-light grille, though. Still had full trim on the sides.

Round 2 could have fun with this tooling, a 2-door post body and 2-light grille and Hemi scoop (though early Hemi cars still ran the Max Wedge scoop), would open up all sorts of possibilities for them to use the Hemi from the Petty Nascar version. I wouldn't put it past them, but not right away.

Edited by Brett Barrow

I'm not 100% sure of the dark color.

In some pics I've seen it looks copper or bronze, others it looks like candy apple red.

There is a 1/1 clone out and about a few years back at the US Nationals and it looked bronze. When I asked about the color, the guy I talked to didn't know much about the car other than it was a replica of the max wedge car

In some pics I've seen it looks copper or bronze, others it looks like candy apple red.

There is a 1/1 clone out and about a few years back at the US Nationals and it looked bronze. When I asked about the color, the guy I talked to didn't know much about the car other than it was a replica of the max wedge car

I'd venture a guess that the real deal was candy apple red over a gold base, which would have been the norm for custom painters at the time, I doubt it was an off the shelf factory color. The white was the factory Spinnaker White.

Funny, but in Davis' Super Stock book, the Lawman is referenced as "White and Orange" in the text, but "White and Candy Red" in one of the color photo captions. In the color photo of the 2% Hemi car after Joe Aed bought it shows up as more red than orange.

That's my call, anyway - candy red over gold, giving an orange tint in the right light.

Most likely the original cars used Chrysler Turbine Bronze as the secondary color all things considered. The restore clone used a Plymouth Prowler color that was similar to it.

Steve

Here's the page from Davis' Super Stock that has a pic of the hardtop Lawman and the 2% Hemi car after it was sold to Joe Aed on the same page and the red in the 2% Hemi car is obvious, and the caption of the hardtop even says "candy red".

lawman-vi.jpg

Turbine Bronze wasn't a factory color until, what, 67 or 68, amirite? But any paint shop in America in 1964 could have laid down a candy red (or orange or orangey-red) over gold.

Still, Turbine Bronze would look cool on a model, I wouldn't fault anyone for going that route.

See what I mean,

it all depends on the angles and the lighting as to what it looks like. But I keep coming back to Candy red over a gold base.

This quandary has kept me from building this car for quite some time , even with the Cady decals I've had for well over 10 years.

Sadly Al passed away a few years back and had I known he was going to be on the grounds when his 66-67 Charger was put in the Chrysler Museum a few years back,,,,, I would have been there to ask.

I mean it's only about 5 hours each way.

Edited by gtx6970

When did the Chrysler Turbine cars debut? '63?

It does look like Turbine Bronze in the sunlight. :wub:

The actual Turbine cars? Oct 63 to Oct 64.

Turbine Bronze the color? paintref.com says model years 67 and 68., TCP Global says it was added as a spring '66 color.

It sure would look purdy and I wouldn't fault anyone for using it, but I gotta think the candy red/orange/reddish-orange/orangeish-red over gold makes the most sense in 1964. Any paint shop in the country could do it. But tracking down some paint that's being used on a concept car whose bodies are being built and finished by Ghia in Italy, even with factory connections? Mmmm, not so much....

When did the Chrysler Turbine cars debut? '63?

It does look like Turbine Bronze in the sunlight. :wub:

The "Frostfire Metallic" AKA Turbine Bonze paint color would have been available starting in '63 and with the factory support Drag teams were getting back then it's very possible they used it. I'm sure any paint shop could have mixed it. I doubt Chrysler would be sending any the 50 street driven Turbine cars on the road across America back to Italy for touch up. Of course that doesn't rule out some custom mix or candy color like others have suggested.

I can't find any hard evidence of this "Frostfire Metallic" other than in internet articles about the Turbine Cars. What was the factory code for it?

I don't know Brett, I'm no Turbine Car expert. I'll take a leap of faith and say that Frostfire Metallic and Turbine Bronze are one and the same color so the mix formula would also be the same. If there were 50 Cars produced and painted that color then that's the evidence that a paint formula existed for it in '63, so that they could be repaired and repainted if need be. I doubt Frostfire Metallic was in the 63-64 standard paint books but I'm sure the factory code and or paint formula could be had with a phone call. I'd even bet there's a '63 Dealer Service Bulletin for it somewhere.

Back then the factory sponsored Drag guys got all kinds of goodies, special engines, aluminum stamped parts, you name it .... not available to your average Joe. It not really a stretch to think they could have got some Turbine Car paint or the formula for if they wanted it. I'm not going to "bet the farm" that's what they used, I'm just saying its a reasonable possibility that they could have used it in '64.

I've yet to find any evidence of Turbine Bronze or "Frostfire Metallic" prior to MY67 or late MY66 except for the Turbine cars' Wikipedia page

1964 would have been the height of popularity of candy paint jobs, you see candy paint on probably 90% of drag cars of that era. Any custom painter could have laid down a quick candy paint job on the car. This car would have already been racing for the bulk of the season before the Turbine cars were unveiled to the public.

We're all free to do our own research and make up our own minds.

Eckstrand's 63 car, a Dodge Dart wagon, appears to wear the same color, and the Turbine car wasn't even greenlit at that time.

7499-63.jpg

Edited by Brett Barrow

The latest issue of Mopar Action has the answer to the availablitiy of this colour in the Reference Restorations section ; and if I can get off my lazy butt , I'll look up the answer ...

EDIT ( 28-04-2013 @ 2215 HRS ) :

Here's a 1967 Paint Chip Chart , courtesy of Hamtramck Historical Registry 1970 :

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/paintChipCharts/_1967PaintChipCharts-01.shtml?load_img=1

Note that Turbine Bronze is on the right column , near the bottom of the chart .

EDIT #2 ( 2220 HRS ) :

Click the "Next Page" icon , as the colour is on page 2 .

Edited by 1972coronet

• 5 months later...

I was wondering the same thing, is this a reissue of the Color Me Gone Max Wedge kit or the Ramchargers Hemi. I would rather see the Max Wedge version.

It's parts from the Dodges combined with the Belvedere kit. Never been offered in this form before, the Plymouths were only done in street and NASCAR versions.

With a hardtop body and 4-light grill, the engine should be the Max Wedge. The Hemi Plymouths were almost all post sedans.