Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: 1/16 '68 Mustang Pro Mod

ClayK

Thanks fellas! I appreciate it!

I've been feeling sick for the past week, so I haven't got as much done lately as I'd like. But I did work on the pedals all weekend. My layout is pretty much just like how the R2B2 cars are. The brake/clutch assemble is all made up of brass tubing, styrene rod, and RB rod ends. The gas pedal was bent up from brass wire and soldered together. Six pieces in all. I'm not that fond of soldering and all that, but it came out pretty cool, and wouldn't have been possible to do in plastic and still be sturdy enough. The other pedals are styrene rod with plastic pads, with PE mesh for some traction. All the brass tabs are from dirt modeler PE sheets.

Here's the layout. Once assembled into the chassis, everything will work independently of each other. I gotta thank Bart for the motivation and the video of how he did his. After seeing his in action, I knew I had to do the same. I changed the layout some, but the basics are the same. So thanks Bart!

P4021750z-vi.jpg

P4021751z-vi.jpg

P4021753z-vi.jpg

Here's everything in place.

P4021746z-vi.jpg

P4021744z-vi.jpg

P4021745z-vi.jpg

I also made up a set of Lenco slide mount bars, and then craddles on the chassis.

P4021752z-vi.jpg

P4021747z-vi.jpg

And after my first post, my man Sherm pointed out i had installed my front body supports incorrectly. After going back though my pile of ref pics, and seeing how it should be done, I corrected them, and added the small braces as well as the fire line tabs.

Thanks Dave!

P4021748z-vi.jpg

With all this fiddly stuff out of the way, now I can get back to chassis building. Thanks for looking!

Clay

clay,your work and detail is awesome.looks like a person can get alot more detail out of a 1/16 build compared to a 1/25.....looking forward to learning more about details........ps wre can i find this video bart put out?

Thanks fellas! I appreciate it!

Once assembled into the chassis, everything will work independently of each other. I gotta thank Bart for the motivation and the video of how he did his. After seeing his in action, I knew I had to do the same. I changed the layout some, but the basics are the same. So thanks Bart!

P4021750z-vi.jpg

Here's everything in place.

P4021746z-vi.jpg

P4021745z-vi.jpg

I also made up a set of Lenco slide mount bars, and then craddles on the chassis.

Man Clay, this looks very awesome and I really like how you have your R2B2 set up. Looks much cleaner than the reference photo's that I used for my build. By chance do you have photo's of how the lap belts and such are mounted up? I like that set up you have for the restraints, been wondering how that should look.

clay,your work and detail is awesome.looks like a person can get alot more detail out of a 1/16 build compared to a 1/25.....looking forward to learning more about details........ps wre can i find this video bart put out?

Lou, if interested you can go here for my 70.5 ADRL Camaro build http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47419&st=0

Post number 184 is where the video is located that Clay is referring to.

Clay,

Looking really good.

How do you fishmouth the tubes for the chassis?

bobthehobbyguy

I just use my hobby knife. Cut down at a 45 degree angle half way into the tubing, roll it over, cut the other side, and basically take out a triangle chunk out of the piece. If it's bigger rod, I'll do that, then hit it with a round file to open it up.

Thank you very much guys! I'm really having a good time on this one so far!

I've been working away on the rear clip. More plastic, brass, and dirt modeler photo etch. I used Micheal's shock mounts, and tabs for the brake line mounts, and rear tree mount.

P4031763z-vi.jpg

P4031761z-vi.jpg

P4031760z-vi.jpg

I also got the rear driveshaft loop made up and installed. I used two pieces of brass bent and trimmed. Once to size, I inserted some small brass pins inside each, then soldered both joints.

P4031764z-vi.jpg

And just to show it's not all roses and unicorns doing this stuff, here's my pile of attempts before I got one I could use!

P4031765z-vi.jpg

One last thing I did before calling it a night was sand my slicks. I chucked up some 1" stock in my lathe, pushed the tires on, and spun them slow against a flat file. Took a bit of time, but they are so smooth now. And it beats sanding with a sanding stick.

P4031766z-vi.jpg

Hope to get the body mounted soon!

Clay

It all's coming out great Clay, like the fact that you showed all the problems/mistakes that can be made & that it doesn't all go together 1-2-3. Heres a idea for you, after you get done with this beast (after a well deserved break I'm sure), since it is a Mustang, how about a another Camaro, maybe do a 1/16th version of "Blackbeards Revenge" !

Clay... your progress is looking great man! beautiful work. I sure know the labor pains you went thru with the drive shaft loops. I couldn't tell you how many pieces I redid for my headers on my funny car build that I have going on right now. But to get the parts to where you are completely happy with, it is totally worth the many hours put into it.

I do have to ask are the rear tires Flashpoint pro mod rear wheels?? or something else. Keep up the awesome work on this and I am looking forward to more and learning much more from you. You are one of the top notch builders in my book.