Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '32 Ford : any interest in traditional bits ?

Over on the 'kit review' forum, the news is out that the new Revell '32 Rat Roaster still has the standard Revell '32 dropped front tube-axle, the air-bagged Ford 9" rear, and disc brakes. Some guys are mentioning "maybe the aftermarket will step in with a dropped I-beam front axle" etc.

It just so happens I've got almost everything needed to convert the Revell '32 frames into traditional cars...dropped front I-beam, dropped-and filled I-beam, split wishbones, hairpins, a buggy-spring rear-end swap including the correct Model A or T crossmember and springs to allow a quick-change to fit, etc., etc. etc... already mastered as a result of doing several builds like this...

DSCN7646.jpg

DSCN6750.jpg

The hitch is that these things would be very fragile if done in the usual model-car casting resin. BUT, I have access to some 'engineering-grade' casting resins that I'm 98% certain would work. It will take some experimentation to get it right, but if there seems to be some serious interest...

I've been toying with the idea of doing it anyway, to save me time having to bashscratchify parts for every build. Feedback, please.

Sign me up, Bill. I don't mind building my own stuff, but parts beat labor every time! B)

Also on my list for the Revell Deuce series. per my post over on TRaK are the following:

1) Louvered Hood to match the Revell louvered trunk from the 5 window. (The trunk lid is also available in resin from Ed @ Drag City)

2) The Rat Roaster reportedly doesn't come with hood sides so it;s time to re-pop louvered hood sides from the original roadster. These hood sides have straight lower edge for a proper fit up against the chassis rails.

3) Re-pops of the stock and smooth hood sides but with the straight lower edge for a proper highboy fit.

4) Limefire, ramhorn and high-performance tubular header sets for the SBC in the Rat Roaster,

5) A proper old school tuck and roll interior with a 40's/early 50's large bolster across the bench seat's back.

6) An up-top!

Finally, note that Ron Royston over at Early Years Resin offers a conversion pack for the Revell Deuce rear end (see http://earlyyearsresin.webs.com/accessories.htm):

`32 Frame Conversion Kit --#CCK32 - Converts `32 Revell Street Rod frame For use with Flathead & stock running gear. Kit has 2 rear spring cross members, Motor mount adapter and engine cover with mounts

100_3002.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Bill, would these parts allow me to build a rep-stock '32 using the Revell kits? I've always heard such nice things about them, but the whole rod thing doesn't really light my fire.

Charlie Larkin

What I've got mastered so far is hot-rod stuff but I can come up with stock front / rear ends without too much difficulty. I'm looking into how much stuff I'd need to do to make parts mix-and-match with each other and fit the Revell bits as well.

Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Md. has had, for many years, most of the traditional parts you are looking for.

I'll need to look at their product line and see where the gaps are, if any. I'm thinking a couple different front axles with several drops, hairpins, split-wishbones in a couple of styles, and multiple rear ends...maybe 2 styles of quick-change, a stocker (they'd all use the same axle bells), and a Columbia, plus '39 style juice brakes and stock style mechanical backing plates too. Most of this stuff is already available from old kits, but it all takes work to fit it to the Revell chassis correctly. I'm thinking of a complete chassis as well, with a separate K-member, 2 rear crossmember options and 2 front crossmember options. Really need to check R&M though before getting too carried away. It's a good bit of work to make it happen, and if R&M already has the market covered, there's no point in me duplicating their effort.

Trying to follow through on this, sent an email.

Also have this contact info:

Replicas & Miniatures Co of Maryland
317 Roosevelt Avenue S.W, Glen Burnie, MD 21061
410-768-3648

replmincomd@aol.com

How is the timeliness usually of email replies from this company? I understand from multiple sources that the products are all first-rate.

EDIT. ...and the answer is, I got a response within minutes. Wow. Unusual for anyone in business to answer that fast. Impressive.

A catalog is now $5. We'll know in a few days exactly what IS already available to build traditional hot-rods.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Norm Veber of Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland is a master of his craft & as nice a person as you will ever meet in this hobby.

I've been buying his products for years..his nostalgic rodding & custom products are varied ( especially his flathead hop up items ) and his collaborations with other skilled builders like Rik Hoving know no equal.