Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spenser's '67 Mustang GT

mrmike

the Fast&Furious Mustang kit has the twin scooped hood if you want to try and turn one of those up. most people dismissed that kit because they didn't care for the movie or the kit's goofy box art but the stock GT is still in the box and with the hood that everyone wished AMT had included in the first place.

Dave

Dave, I just looked around eBay, Model Empire and Express, and a few others in between and I found nothing. I found plenty of the Eclipses, but no Mustangs and not even the Monte Carlo! My LHS is having their 30% off Sale on Saturday and I'll look there.

Rick, since my Spenser's '66 Mustang was the 3rd season version, it sat "high" which was just as well as I used the Keystone wheel and tire set from MRC which placed the tires right at the edge of the fender. For some reason, I happen to like the high riding Mustang that was depicted during that time and it also had a "gasser" look to it. I wanted to do the first season version years ago, but I wasn't able to find the right wheels for the project and it sat for almost 6 months until I happened upon the MRC wheel and tire set at my LHS. Here's a large pic of Spenser's '66 Mustang.

IMGP2081.jpg

I got the body of Spenser's '67 Mustang painted with two coats of Tamiya TS-11 Maroon and it looks really close to what I want. I'm even comtemplating whether or not to even polish it.

67Mustang21.jpg

67Mustang22.jpg

The distributor has been wired, but I won't install it until I get a new set of smooth valve covers.

67Mustang23.jpg

I have held off on the hood until I can find the GT hood from the Fast & Furious Mustang kit. If I can't find one, I'll use the one that I have now.

More to come.....

I couldn't find the F & F Mustang anywhere so I'm forging ahead with the flat hood and I have a set of smooth valve covers coming from Eric Stone.

I finished paintin' and polishin' the body today.

67Mustang24.jpg

I decided to strip the paint from the chassis and start over from scratch.

67Mustang25.jpg

67Mustang26.jpg

More to come.....

Being a fan of Robert B. Parker's Spenser novels and the Spenser For Hire TV series, I am starting another Spenser project. Spenser's '67 Mustang GT as shown in the TV movie Spenser: A Savage Place. In the movie, Spenser is told by an old girlfriend that he is still driving the same old car, to which he replies, "Same car, new paint job." As a fan of the series, I immediately noticed that this is not the same car. The series ended almost 10 years previously and this movie was filmed in Toronto, Canada and the original Mustang was reportly stolen according to Robert Urich's website prior to his passing. This car was sourced from Canada by the movie production company. A picture of Spenser's '67 Mustang GT.

67Mustang08.jpg

I am using an old built up model for this project and this morning I blew apart the model for reconstruction.

67Mustang09.jpg

The motor will be refreshed and wired.

67Mustang10.jpg

I need a set of wire wheels for this project and all I have seen are the low rider style with deep offset. I found these wheels in the '66 Merc Park Lane kit and look close enough for what i need.

67Mustang11.jpg

just a quick question, what was the original paint you used on the 'Stang?

No problem Clay! ;)

I have started chassis assembly. The exhaust, rear suspension, transmission mount, and chassis have been cleaned, repaired, reassembled, and repainted.

67Mustang27.jpg

More to come.....

I know it's kinda nit picky, but the Mustangs didn't use a sub frame, they were uni-body cars, & the Fords were painted with the bocy color underhood, along with the front rails & the paint was allowed to over spray from the firewall into the tunnel area, Most of the Mustangs I worked on have had the chassis painted with a primer-sealer that was a little browner than red oxide primer.

Thanks for the info, Del! Not knowing exactly what the floor pan was left me to my own devices and the kit instructions. I chose to paint it with the red primer and it was redder than I had expected. And, the original color of the model was Testors British Green Metallic.

More progress on Spenser's Mustang. The front suspension is on. The disc brakes are in the purple pond and the rear drums are mounted on the rear axle.

67Mustang29.jpg

The wheels and tires are ready to be mounted.

67Mustang28.jpg

The interior floor has been painted flat black and is ready to be flocked.

67Mustang30.jpg

More to come.....

Some progress to show. The chassis is up on 4 wheels.

67Mustang31.jpg

Motor assembly has resumed with the addition of the smooth valve covers, coil, and the distributor.

67Mustang32.jpg

Foiling has begun.

67Mustang33.jpg

More to come.....

Edited by mrmike

Thanks Charlie and Eric!

More progress! The foiling is done and I have begun installing windows and chrome. I had no molding on the fenders to follow with the foil, so I cut a straight piece of foil and carefully placed it along the edge of the fender and I must say that it came out pretty good! No trimming necessary!

67Mustang34.jpg

67Mustang35.jpg

The interior has had additional detailing added since I had very little when I first built this kit oh so many years ago.

67Mustang36.jpg

More to come.....

I got the trunk lid good, but the end caps I had some trouble with and the foil is a little wide there. I don't dare try to thin it anymore as I'll end up trashing the paint there and make it look like it was mauled by a rabid dog!

It's been a while since I touched this build and I'm afraid that I'm starting to lose interest in it so I had better "git-r-dun". I've got the motor and interior installed.

67Mustang37.jpg

I still need to install the driveshaft.

67Mustang38.jpg

A shot of the interior and dash.

67Mustang39.jpg

More to come.....

• 2 years later...