Model Cars Magazine Forum

How many of you remember the 12 O'Clock High series from the mid-60s?

Harry, uh you slide yer local Alderman a hunnert . Memorable Entertainment television is supposed to head quartered in Chicago. Where in the city, I dunno, I was scared to google the area as I figure some street thug might steal my place while I'm looking on the Google map

I watch METV all the time! Loads of good stuff there... Mary Tyler Moore, MASH, Bob Newhart, Dick van Dyke, Perry Mason, The Untouchables, Bonanza, Hogan's Heroes, Batman, Twilight Zone, Bewitched... the list goes on and on and on.

BTW... didn't Vic Morrow get his head chopped off by a helicopter blade while filming a scene?

How about Fury with Petrer Graves, aka Mr. Phelps from Mission Impossible. Roy rogers Show. the wildbill Hickock show Howdy Doody, capt. Kangaroo. Annette, and Darlene from Mickey Mouse Club. Too many to list. Yeah I'm an Oldie too.

I remember Annette and Darlene for sure... ######!! Now I can't get that song out of my head...

How about Flash Gordon with all those Tree People that looked like, um, trees. Great fight scenes.

Dale

EDIT: Sorry. Didn't know ##### was a cuss word here. I'll keep it clean from now on.

Edited by ScaleDale

Back to the thread title. I was always fond of 12 O'Clock High. No shortage of B-17s. The flying sequences drew heavily from the documentary Memphis Belle by director William Wyler for the USAAF, particularly memorable when Gen. Savage (Robert Lansing) leaves the series by getting shot down.

The modeling connection is Aurora made the 1/144 B-17 formation of three kit. I still have the planes but the diorama base with decals depicting bombs dropping down the support stems has been lost to time. Awesome Box art!

AuroraBomberKit_zps31255ee6.jpg

What is this, trolling for old guys??

Full disclosure: 66 next month and building my first 1:1 drag car.

Dale

How about Victory at Sea? Remember that show?

Wow! Talk about the good old days. Yea I remember all of this. 12 o'clock High, Baa Baa Black sheep, Combat, Silent running and a lot of "Action" TV. Lots of aircraft and combat gear. Remember Whirlybirds and Sea Hunt? A lot of fodder for the model companies back then. The good side was that it got me interested in reading about it. I read the heck out of the books about this stuff. No wonder so many of us willingly marched off the Viet Nam. We were raise to think this was what men did.

This will really get you thinking. Victory at Sea- Music composed by Richard Rodgers of Rodgers and Hammerstein fame. Three volume set of LP's. My favorite was always volume three. It started off with a volley of 16" guns off the New Jersey. I still have them and play them from time to time.

Full disclosure - 64 in 32 days! Never built a drag car.

Edited by Pete J.

Somewhere I have those Victory at Sea LPs too. Good music. I even have a turntable to play them on.

You mentioned Vietnam and the New Jersey, Pete. I got to call in a fire mission from her one time. It really messed me up, too. I was used to calling 8 digit coordinates and the Jersey wanted only 4. The round was like a freight train going over our heads and made one hell of a crater. Our 105s would shoot for hours and not make a dent like one puppy from the Jersey.

Thinking back to when I was much younger, my interest in WWII army air force history can be traced back to watching that TV show. Of course, it was a spin-off of the original movie, made in 1949, that starred Gregory Peck.

Robert Lansing and Paul Burke starred in the television series, with occasional appearances by Jack Lord (of Hawaii 5-O fame) and William Shatner (Star Trek), among others. I've admired the B-17 as a combat aircraft ever since then, and I hold in the highest regard all WWII vets, but the air crews that faced such poor odds in the ETO, early in the war, have always held a special place in my heart.

Anyway, I'd appreciate hearing any other recollections of the show, what it meant to you or someone you know, or how it may have tied into your interest in the war, military history, etc...

I watched every episode of that series when I was a kid. Probably because my dad flew in B17's.

Still remember plain as day the evening when our whole gang went over to Ray's house to watch COLOR TV on their brand new COLOR TV set! They had the first one in our neighborhood. We all thought that was quite the piece of modern technology back then. It had a beautiful kind of red tinted picture.... LOL

Somewhere I have those Victory at Sea LPs too. Good music. I even have a turntable to play them on.

You mentioned Vietnam and the New Jersey, Pete. I got to call in a fire mission from her one time. It really messed me up, too. I was used to calling 8 digit coordinates and the Jersey wanted only 4. The round was like a freight train going over our heads and made one hell of a crater. Our 105s would shoot for hours and not make a dent like one puppy from the Jersey.

I was aboard the Missouri when she was mothballed in Bremerton. A few years later she "assisted" with fire missions in Lebanon. I was aboard the Trenton at the time. OMG was that spectacular and we were miles away. With the right light you could see those 2200 lb shells headed inland.

I was a total military geek growing up. Anything US Army was for me, movies, TV, all of it. Museums were a special attraction.

I enlisted in the Marine Corps at 17, go figure. :blink:

Just made the last tango in SE Asia, then Lebanon, Panama and Grenada.

57 last Sunday.

G

Me, too. What was that submarine drama? Silent Running? Remember Sky King? How about Commander Cody? Super Car? Soupy Sales? Revell and Monogram as seperate companies? Parts Paks new on the shelf? LHS with Friday night slot car races? Tube televisions as new technology? Underground radio? Payola? Flag starters at the drags? Sunday!! Sunday!! Sunday! At Milan dragway. It's Dyno Don Nicholson in his alcohol burning fuel injected ford Falcon burning down the track at 120 miles per hour!!! Sunday!!!

What is this, trolling for old guys??

Full disclosure: 66 next month and building my first 1:1 drag car.

Dale

now yer talkin' , "Bring your cameraaaaaa". :P:D:lol:

My Dad was in the Air Force. We lived in England in the late fifties at a base in East Anglia, home of the Mighty Eighth.The base we were at , RAF Station Sculthorpe was a SAC base with medium bombers, first with the North American B-45 Tornado and then the Douglas B-66 Destroyer all of the 47th Bomb Wing.

My Mom and Dad were always taking my brother and I somewhere neat, a castle one day, Robin Hoods Forest another. One day my Dad had my brother and me in the car driving out to another AFB, abandoned. This place sent shivers up my spine. It was just like the opening scenes of Twelve O'clock High. There was the empty runway. the empty control tower everything but the sound track. I heard it though, even if my Dad and Brother didn't. Going inside the control tower was just like the movie with the painted pictures on the wall and all. Something I'll never forget.

Edited by Greg Myers

I like 12 O'Clock High, and wish it was on at a time besides 5/5:00 AM on Sundays.

I've really taken to MeTV. I like the old shows a lot better than most of the newer programming. It's actually either funny, or well-written, or well-perfromed, or all those things.

I saw the new Ironside last week...I'll watch it again because I'm not quite sure if I like it or not, but I can say this- Blair Underwood, as good an actor as he is, does NOT have the presence of Raymond Burr in this role. I personally would've chosen Vincent D'Norfrio (Law & Order: Criminal Intent), J.K. Simmons (frequent as Dr. Skoda on the original Law & Order and Chief Pope on The Closer and also the voice of the yellow M&M and Prof. Burke in the Farmers Insurance commercials), or, if they really wanted a black man to do it, either Thom Barry (Cold Case) or Dennis Haysbert (The Unit and recent commercials for Allstate Insurance).

Charlie Larkin

Since no one has mentioned them yet...

The Flying Tigers (AVG, American Volunteer Group) flying outclassed P40's against the more nimble Zero's and bombers with rear gunners.

The Longest Day

Battle of the Bulge

Run Silent Run Deep

Fighting Leathernecks

Sands of Iwo Jima

The Dirty Dozen

I think 12 O'Clock High was a movie before it was a tv show.

Since no one has mentioned them yet...

The Flying Tigers (AVG, American Volunteer Group) flying outclassed P40's against the more nimble Zero's and bombers with rear gunners.

The Longest Day

Battle of the Bulge

Run Silent Run Deep

Fighting Leathernecks

Sands of Iwo Jima

The Dirty Dozen

I think 12 O'Clock High was a movie before it was a tv show.

12 O'clock High was most definitely a movie before it was a TV show. Gregory Peck and Dean Jagger. Great flick!

When I was n NCO School the instructors used the movie 12 O'clock High as a case in point illustrating the classic case of a boss taking too much on his own shoulders and failing to delegate. He'd run the movie for a while and stop it at various points to make his points. Worked very well !

I like 12 O'Clock High, and wish it was on at a time besides 5/5:00 AM on Sundays.

I've really taken to MeTV.

Charlie... record it! Doesn't matter when it's broadcast... you have the power to create your own TV schedule!

I also like MeTV. So many great old shows. I probably watch more old shows on MeTV than I do first run series.

Charlie... record it! Doesn't matter when it's broadcast... you have the power to create your own TV schedule!

I also like MeTV. So many great old shows. I probably watch more old shows on MeTV than I do first run series.

1. Dead VCR. I have a newer one that I had prior to being forced back home, but it appears my cable service is incompatible with VCRs. (Verizon FiOS- if anyone has found different, please say so).

2. Those digital VCR things (DVR?) all seem to require subscription services that the budget doesn't allow for. If we get one from the service provider, it's very expensive (something like $200) and murderously expensive to be allowed to use ($25/month). We have fairly basic service with the phone and Internet; it's not a bad deal, about $90/month for the whole thing, but that extra expense does make that much of a difference for us.

Were it not for that, I'd be all set.

Charlie Larkin

I remember 12 O'Clock High being on TV when I was a kid; I didn't watch it probably because I was a car nut before I became an airplane nut. When I lived in California I went out to Chino many times for the museum and the air shows, and got to walk through the actual B-17G from the series. Decades later when watching the series I recognized the filming locations at Chino; some of the buildings are still standing today.

Lots more info on the series, and the 1½ B-17s used on the show, here: http://www.aerovintage.com/tvtwelve.htm