Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wal-mart has models again...

Well, this hobby town is owned by someone who loves models, so he always carries a variety, and the stuff I urge him to order too. It's one of the few all-around hobby shops left in the State of Florida.

He might love models, but he hates organization! Maybe it's me...but does anyone see a rhyme or reason as to how those kits are shelved? Glue in with the snaps, Ferraris in with Hot Rods...my gosh how do you find anything in there without having to go through every kit on each shelf. Perhaps that's the point...catch that impulse buy by getting people to find kits they didn't know they were even looking for...

My LHS is Fords one shelf, Chevrolet the next, MOPAR the third (orphan brands - Hudson, AMC, Buick, Olds & Pontiac at the end of the Mopar shelf), 4th is Sports cars (Vettes, Camaros, Mustangs, Ferraris) regardless of year but organized by make and model, with import kits (Tamiya, Hasegawa, Fujimi, RoG etc at the end),Truck models on the bottom with any odd sized boxes (Trumpter, MiniCraft, etc) down there too. Snaps regardless of brand are in a clump, show cars in a clump, race car in a clump. All the manufacturer specific shelving is organized by age Newest to oldest by year of the subject left to right with any P/U & SUVs on the end after the newest cars (again in order by year of subject matter). I can walk in and in 30 seconds see what they have, if a new kit has arrived and get back out. Granted most of the time I go ponder the supplies and paint racks as well.

He might love models, but he hates organization! Maybe it's me...but does anyone see a rhyme or reason as to how those kits are shelved?

Given the choice between having that many kits to chose from and a lesser selection with better organization, I think most would chose the former. ^_^

I think kits at Wal-Mart is a very random thing, as the last time this was posted (during the holiday season), some people reported their local W-M had zero kits. I don't see any mass merchandiser being a go-to place to find models ever again. Those days are gone, for good or bad.

Guest Johnny

I have three wally worlds with in three miles of me, have not seen any kits, but have not been looking for them, I will be now

That's insane !!

My wife worked at one three miles north of us and her sister woked at the one three miles to the south of us!

When they decided to build two super centers here the idea was the one on the north side would draw customers from the small towns to the north and the other would draw them in from the small towns to the south. But they were keeping the stores in an area where they had a large base of potential employees!

The only use for that is promote new builders to start, but the local hubby stores is were the soul is

there aren't many hobby shops anymore. There used to be 4 around here even 5 years ago, and now all of them are gone. Though I don't miss the Donks and other ridiculous models that were most certainly made for Wal-Mart. Notice how none of them have been out since Wally stopped carrying kits.

The truth is that I think the hobby has given us better kits in the years since WalMart stopped carrying kits, I don't think its a coincidence.

There was a good thing about donk models at Walmart. They included the parts to build the cars normally. So, if ya got the urge at 3 am to build say...a 70 Chevelle and didn't have one on hand, you could just run out and get it.

Here's what the selection looks like. Most of these kits go between 18.99 to 24.99.

IMG_5317-vi.jpg?1344534382

IMG_5318-vi.jpg?1344534385

IMG_5320-vi.jpg?1344534394

Wish I had somewhere in town that carried that kinda selection. Even the shop I go to (once amonth) an hour away doesn't THAT much.

James, there's a lot of repetition in the stock, but that's exactly what I like because when I see a kit I want, I can walk out with a couple instead of the one. I am glad this hobby shop is in town, so I get a lot of kits from them to keep up my support. I'd be real sorry if they ever closed.

THAT'S IT, YOU GOT IT!!! Sorry, got a little excited there! The HobbyTown in Pineville, NC that I go to doesn't have anywhere near that many kits combined. Thanks for posting that for me.

Yup, I shop there too and while they try, they make their money on R/C. Go in there around December 20th and watch parents go nuts dropping hundred dollar bills on radio control cars and planes. Their retail prices on kits are not too bad though.

I have found other HTU that have better selections but the prices are full MSRP. Not sure how they sell any kits other than desperation!

James, there's a lot of repetition in the stock, but that's exactly what I like because when I see a kit I want, I can walk out with a couple instead of the one. I am glad this hobby shop is in town, so I get a lot of kits from them to keep up my support. I'd be real sorry if they ever closed.

I do see a LOT of duplicates, which is nice, plus a LOT of new releases.While the Model Cave carries a lot of OOP and rare HTF kits, I would like to see a better selection of recent issues. They are a Revell preferred partner, so that's nice.

Given the choice between having that many kits to chose from and a lesser selection with better organization, I think most would chose the former. ^_^

Well my LHS guy has multiples of kits, but he traditionally only puts one out on the shelf of any given kit, unless it's a case where he snagged a collection. For example he has an original release of the Revell '67 Charger along with the "current" Cali Wheels version, the former coming from a collection. Otherwise I don't see much on the shelves of Virgil's shop that I can't get at mine in a way that doesn't have the kits go GMC P/U - Contach- '63 Bel Air - Mustang Saleen Speedster - '67 Chevelle - '32 Ford 5 Window - '70 Mustang - '62 Bel Air - '37/'38 Ford P/U. Nothing wrong with it per sea, but it makes my OCD want to re-organize their shelving... :lol:

In regards to the original point of this thread, I didn't know my local Wal*Mart carried kits this Christmas until they showed up in the Clearance section Mid-January. I have no idea where they hid them at, it certainly wasn't in the toy section (with a 10 y/o and 1 y/o believe me I was in those aisles last year). I now work for Wal*Mart in their Grocery Distribution Transportation, so far I haven't seen any models, but I've only been to two of our 212 Wal*Marts we service since I saw this thread. If I do find them out there, I will be circling the aisles like a buzzard waiting for them to slip into clearance again, there's a great deal of parts potential in the kits the O.P. saw.

Hmm I don't think I've bought multiples of anything since the Lindberg Police Chargers finally arrived after that Warehouse "fire". Although there are a few kits that I wouldn't mind having to build more than one way. But heck I need to build it the FIRST way before worrying about a second variation. My LHS is 11 miles to the East, but well worth the drive to me, and I'd be moping around relentlessly if they ever closed their doors.

EDIT - I lied I bought several of the Lindberg Dodge 330 kits for their Straight 6s when they were on sale at Ollie's for $8 (the result of the aforementioned warehouse "fire".

Edited by niteowl7710

Right her in town there was a Hobbytown and he always had a great selection of kits. All Brands too... Then they raised is rent in the plaza where thee store was. His along with everyone else's.... So, he bailed and moved his shop about 40 miles north to Manchester, NH. Cheaper rent, and a lot of his RC customers (his bread and butter) came down from there. I make the trip up there every once in a while, but its not convenient. 40 miles isn't that far but it ends up being a few hours which isn't always easy to get.

Tough part is that since he moved, probably 5 years ago, that store has sat empty along with most of the other stores in that plaza.