Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the story behind your user name/avatar?

It's not a pretty story.

My handle has evolved over the years to match my moods and situations.

I originally went by moparmaniac here, but getting fired and blacklisted from my last job after a heart attack and having lost two appeals to the state civil rights commission, my mood darkened. In the meantime, I moved from frozen Iowa to warm and sunny Florida, took my disabled brother into my home. After a couple of years of living by his ego, my mood turned darker yet and taking all I could stand, I threw him out.

Somewhere in all that mess, I changed to darquewanderer to better match my ever darking mood. It helped me, in part, cope with the situation.

A '71 Satellite was my first car, so that's that, but lately I've been changing most of my avatars to a Marine Corps shield after I got notified by the VA earlier this year that I'm now 180% disabled (only get 100% though... drat). But being at a straight 100%, I can never hold down another job per VA regulations.

So I'll keep darquewanderer for a while.Besides changing it to "CaptainSunshine", or some such, just isn't me. :lol:

p.s. I'm going to appeal the buyout of the civil right commission by my former employer to the state grand jury early this coming year.

And my brother has his own place now (finally!!!). We're both much, much happier.

Edited by darquewanderer

I am a huge fan of the IMSA road racing series, so the name is obvious. The avatar requires a bit more explanation. I AM A Union Electrician by trade, so the photo is amusing to me in that you cannot plug a plug into a plug.... Plus, I am a die hard lefty.....the republican party is filled with bafoons in my opinion, so the elephant trying to plug a plug into a plug works for me.....!

Years ago in the early 90's I was thinking of a nickname I needed for my email address, couldn't really think of anything, then I was listening to a program on the radio about the BeeGee's, and it was mentioned how they came about their name, which was Barry Gibb's initials with the extra 'e' in between, so I stole the idea, GB is my initials, Geoff Brown, with the extra 'e's stuck in between to get GeeBee, my avatar is just be in Turkey in 2010

Years ago in the early 90's I was thinking of a nickname I needed for my email address, couldn't really think of anything, then I was listening to a program on the radio about the BeeGee's, and it was mentioned how they came about their name, which was Barry Gibb's initials with the extra 'e' in between, so I stole the idea, GB is my initials, Geoff Brown, with the extra 'e's stuck in between to get GeeBee, my avatar is just be in Turkey in 2010

I had always figured it came from the plane.....

0575755.jpg

My name was something my parents came up with. My original name I used on forums was my AOL screen name modlcitizn from back when they limited names to 10 characters. I still have that email address!

My avatar is my '55 Chevy Christmas Tree truck I built back in the early 1990s, still one of my favorite models!

I remember seeing that truck at the NNL East, Tom. It's a really nice build. How's it holding up- do you have it somewhere special this time of year?

Bill... short version of William. Eh?... a few reasons. Supposedly it is a Canuck thing. Also, it is pronounced the same way as the first letter of my surname. Lastly, I started loosing my hearing about seven or so years ago. At first I wasn't aware, but eventually came to realize i was asking my students to constantly repeat things as I wasn't hearing them. I would usually say pardon me, but can imagine that an occasional "Eh, what was that?" might have crept in. Have had hearing aids for about five years now. The sad part is that the highest frequency most hearing aids can reproduce is about 5K. My other hobby was my stereo gear, 45s, albums, and CDs. As for my avatar, a small graphic I created to incorporate my two initials.

I remember seeing that truck at the NNL East, Tom. It's a really nice build. How's it holding up- do you have it somewhere special this time of year?

Hi John! Yes, the truck is holding up fine. Time flies, it doesn't seem like I built it nearly 20 years ago. It usually sits in my display case but gets put in Christmas Village for the holidays.

MVC014S-vi.jpg

Thanks for asking! And a great holiday season to you and yours!

Hello,

My username is my take of, old is cool, And old school, I love old things, especially old cars and vintage drag racing. With a little Tom Daniel influence. From his design, S'Cool Bus ! I am a big fan of his work.

My avatar is one of my favorite "old" cartoons. UNDERDOG ! ( subject to change ) but not for now.

Old Guys Rule ! :)

• 3 weeks later...

It's my Grand Father sitting in his 29 Model A....

Dr. Kerry came from a friend, one day I was carvin on some plastic,. I had a saw in one hand and a body in the other and he said I looked like a doctor. It stuck and has been with me ever since...

Edited by DrKerry

My nickname came straight out of the way back machine(re Pebody and Sherman). I started using it when I first got on the internet when I was 50 years old. Figured pappy50 would be easy to rememeber. The avitar is a differant story all togeather. Several years ago I had the shear pleasure of visiting Lee Holman at Holman & Moody's work shop. They were the primary race prepairers for the original GT40 mark 2's not to mention the unoffical stock car arm of Ford. They still own all the original blueprints for the Mark 2s and are now making continuation cars. That is a photo of me sitting in Lee Holman's personal Mark 2. You ain't lived until you have heard that lovely 427 fire off! The only other power plant that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up as much, is a Rolls-Royce Merlin.

When I first got into motorsport photography, my "beat" was CART (Championship Auto Racing Teams), which became ChampCar, which became extinct. Since I shot CART, I used cartpix as a username on the motorsport forums. My avatar is me, at Laguna Seca (turn 4 in the background), at an ALMS race a few years ago. There is another fence to my right. They don't let me, nor would I want to be on teh track side of the fence. The photo holes are dangerous enough for me.

My User name is from NASCAR... Back in the day I was a HUGE Bill Elliott Fan... Over the years Bill drove the #9 car then her drove the 94 car... then went back to the #9... hence the Elliot949... His name is spelled with two "T's"... My Email address is the same as my user ID on here... When I first created the Elliot949 I had is spelled Elliott949 then I had a problem with my Email address and had to redo the name and it would not let me do it with the two "T's" again... I have had this email address for about 22 years on both Yahoo and AOL...

My Avatar is a pic of my dream car... I am in the process of trying to find a 1:1 61 chevy Biscayne or Belaire 2-dr Sedan right now... When I do find one I can tell you my time onhere will be limited until that project would be completed...

I've had this user name since early 2001, I have used it on every forum that I have ever belonged to. I bought my first newer car, a 2000 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor from the Kent County Sheriffs Department in the spring of 2001. The car was just over 11 months old at the time.and had 68,000 miles. It was just like new, except the mileage was high for the year. It was a slick top road patrol car. I kept it for six years and never had any problems. I didn't have a digital camera back then, so all the pictures that I have of it are film.

20130113_181809.jpg

• 1 year later...

Some interesting responses. My avatar changes when the mood strikes, but it is currently Alex Karras as Mongo in the movie Blazing Saddles. My user name refers to my favorite pastime-dirtbikes. While I no longer race them I spend as much time as possible riding the awesome trails and terrain of Idaho.

My screenname is the name of my truck. I call it that because of my Skyline R32 taillights in the weld on roll pan awaiting being attached to my truck in the place of the stock...err factory roll pan that replaced the factory bumper. Sky is for the Skyline tails and for the Skyline driveline (if I ever have the money). S10s are called S Dimes. So, Sky+Dime=Skydime.

My avatar is the above mentioned 98 S10...probably always will be as long as I own the truck, which I have technically had since new. My dad purchased it new and I traded him for it. It's still a one owner because we never changed the title. He now has a dark blue 99 S10 that, with only the color exception, looked exactly that same when they both were stock. He never was into anything custom. I wish he was. It would be cool to drag frame side by side just one time with him.

Edited by Skydime

• 2 weeks later...

35 yrs ago we had a family vaca down in Orlando, visit the grandfolks for Xmas (lived on Lancaster for those who care)

Of course we went to Daytona

Only ones on the beach Laff They sold out of down vests that year in Orlando Hahaha

Anyway my aunt looked over at my brother and I (this was the year Blues Bros. album was released)

And said "You guy's look like the Beluga Brothers"

Large boys, dead fish white, It stuck. Wrx is what I do works.

The new avatar is Riley my buddy sayin' "LETS GO OUTSIDE"!!

Happy modelling