Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT' 67 Impala question

John:

Only the issue with the metallic blue Impala on the box is 100% stock. The current "Rides" issue looks like it is based on the stock version, but it will not have stock wheels. If you can scrounge stock Rally wheels (or resin wheel covers from the annual kits) a stock SS looks do-able.

--Mark

The Impala 3 pack with the 63 and 64 from, say, 98 or so can be built stock too...That's how I built this Gold one in 2000...It was my 7th model only, so it's not so good. It's one of my best early ones though. This was before I discovered the internet modeling community.

Waddingtons003-vi.jpg

Waddingtons004-vi.jpg

Time Machine Resin has a flat hood for it as well, which I got in Toledo last year but have yet to use...The only other copy of the kit I have is the HobbyTown USA exclusive which is a pure customized version, not what I want to use the flat hood for!

John:

Only the issue with the metallic blue Impala on the box is 100% stock. The current "Rides" issue looks like it is based on the stock version, but it will not have stock wheels. If you can scrounge stock Rally wheels (or resin wheel covers from the annual kits) a stock SS looks do-able.

--Mark

Mark,

Thank's for the reply. That's pretty much as I thought.

John, sorry to chime in here so late. The RIDES '67 Impala has an altered suspension that's "bent" to accommodate the oversize wheels and tires. You might be able to swap out a Revell '65 Impala suspension with some creative cutting.

Note that all recent RIDES kits have not been so drastically altered.

If you're going to use Rally wheels, don't use anything from a '68 or up Chevy - they were decidedly different in the center cap. Use the stock wheels from Revell's '67 Chevelle or resin ones from Modelhaus. And if you prefer stock Impala wheel covers to rally's, Modelhaus has those too.

Cheers,

John, sorry to chime in here so late. The RIDES '67 Impala has an altered suspension that's "bent" to accommodate the oversize wheels and tires. You might be able to swap out a Revell '65 Impala suspension with some creative cutting.

Note that all recent RIDES kits have not been so drastically altered.

If you're going to use Rally wheels, don't use anything from a '68 or up Chevy - they were decidedly different in the center cap. Use the stock wheels from Revell's '67 Chevelle or resin ones from Modelhaus. And if you prefer stock Impala wheel covers to rally's, Modelhaus has those too.

Cheers,

Thanks for the input Larry.

Guess that means I have one option - Find a stock version of the kit which I've already done.

Haven't bid on it yet but I have found one. :D