Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's 39/40 Ford Sedan Custom

chuckinredneck

here is my attempt at seriously customizing. I'm still working on the interior, chassis and finishing the engine. I molded in stacked headlights, chopped the roof(had to cut it into 7 pieces and add 6 plastic strips to get it to fit back together), and a section was taking from the hood to give it a sleaker look the hood and I gave it a "special" paint job. When I first started this model it was going to be a pro street so the chassis and the rear fenders were cut up then I changed my mind and went for the custom look so I took the chassis and the rear fenders from AMT's 40 Ford Coupe to correct my hack job. Now as you can see I'm trying to correct my hack job on the interior. In the last picture you can see the difference in the stock hood and the one I cut up. Hope you like.

40FordSedanB.jpg

40FordSedanC.jpg

40FordSedanD.jpg

40FordSedanA.jpg

The special paint is flip flop paint over a redish color in stead of black. I joke about it 'cuase the instructions on the can say it should only be painted over the black they make for it. here is apicture that shows off the paint a bit better

Picture135a.jpg

The roof took a lot of work to get it right

• 2 weeks later...

I found the can of paint the name is Plasti-Kote's Kameleon copper to green paint. When you use this paint don't wet sand it wait till you put a couple of coats of clear on it or it will ruin the effect. I found out the hard way.

40fordsedan005a.jpg

On the engine I've got the fuel lines run from the fuel pump to the carbs.

Picture245b.jpg

I also cut the fan belt off the pully assembly, then I rounded up the pullys and will be useing masking tape to make a new belt

Picture248b.jpg

now that I've finally stopped carveing up altenator brackets here is what I've got The first picture shows the bracket that I used as I was fitting it to hold the altenator . The second picture shows everything all painted and mounted, I'm not sure if I'm going to use this fan or not.

Chuck

Picture260b.jpg

Picture276a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the 40. Tha fan wouldn't fit with the radiator in place so I'm going to use an electric fan on the front side of the radiator

Picture293a.jpg

I finished cutting off the molded on exhaust pipe still have to clean it up a bit more. Put a coat of primer just to get an idea of just what needs work

Picture292a.jpg

Been working on the interior. The seats are from AMT's 57 Ford Fairlane the rear seat had to be narrowed and fitted to the interior bucket. Ive got it pretty close to how I want it so it's almost read for some paint.

Picture283.jpg

I've painted the dash the base color for the body and painted the details. There will be a tach mounted on the steering column slightly right of center. Still have to find a steering wheel and shifter that I want to use.

Picture298b.jpg

Here is the moch up of the interior at this point

Picture290a.jpg

Thanks for checking it out

Chuck

I worked on my sedan's interior and thought I was going to tell you it was done, but after talking with a friend of mine I'm going to make a simple change.

40fordsedan067.jpg

40fordsedan066.jpg

I'm going to make the shifter longer and turn the skull around so that it can be seen through the windshield. On the body I've done final polishing and put a coat of wax on it. The finish came out so good I'm almost affraid to do the BMF around the windsheild

40fordsedan069.jpg

I've been trying to find something other than the kit suspension to use on this build but everything I've tried leaves it setting higher, which I don't want. At this point I'm going to work with the kit's part to make them better, I was able to get the ride to set a bit lower. More in the back than the front

Picture327a.jpg

Picture325a.jpg

I've still have a good bit of work to do on the suspension I'm going to add shocks front and rear and put a tie rod on the front plus I'll be adding some brake detail

Chuck

• 4 months later...

i can't see yer pictures fer some reason (my server no doubt) but if yer using the amt kit axles, i've done some lowering by slicing off the top of the front spring where it fits into the crossmember and relieving the crossmember a bit, also doing the same at the rear (not usually due to looking for california rake) for a lakes look to the car.