Model Cars Magazine Forum

soldering brass?

John Pol

Homosote board is a good base for doing most of your soldering. I believe it's available at most building supply stores. The T-pins stick in to it quite easily.

Thanks for showing us how you do it Steve, now if you'll just put your full name in the signature line as the forum rules state things will be just fine. :)

Tutorial on soldering is rather basic. It would be a lot like posting a tutorial on gluing and Krow113 gave you the basics of soldering. From there it s all about the engineering of the pieces and careful cutting and fitting. If you want to get some ideas then I suggest you check out three other threads on this web site. They are:

Another Super 7 by Mark Jones

Adventures in soldering: Hotrod wrecker project update 7/24/13 by Randy D

and if I can also suggest my own thread,Converting the Red Barron to the Black Knight

Any of these shows the step by step process of assembling the different parts that come together to make interesting cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few tutorials i wrote up years ago.. they still apply today.

Soldering Equipment 101

Solder and Flux

Magnetic Jigs

Cleaning Solder Joints

Hope they will help.

Soldering is fantastic and fun.. no waiting for glues to dry.. if you mess up.. desoldering is a snap.

Micheal... thank you for posting those links I will be going over them this weekend. I am digging the magnetic Jig. I think I am going to have to do something like that myself. I know my soldering skills needs some extra practice.

• 3 weeks later...