Model Cars Magazine Forum

Old topic NEW idea! Buffing and polishing "tip"

Back to building models after 25 years!! So happy I found this forum, I think I'm up to page 44 as of today. Back when I was building we didn't make our own plug wires and painting with airbrushes. So now here I am airbrushing paint and clear coats. I have been looking for an "easier" way of buffing and polishing. About a month ago I was at Walmart and found this headlight cleaning kit with a buffing wheel for $19.99 and the polishing wheel for less then $10.00 at the local auto store. I found that my cordless drill didn't produce enough speed for buffing and switch to my impact driver. Works PERFECT and I can control the speed as well.

Just wanted to share my findings since I've learned so much from you all

Steve

post-13295-0-51248300-1391102238_thumb.j

post-13295-0-12800900-1391102287_thumb.j

post-13295-0-84499600-1391102305_thumb.j

post-13295-0-57664600-1391102322_thumb.j

Edited by sincitymedic

Steve, why the impact driver?

Is it faster?

is that the third pic?

I swear by the 3M Rubbing Compound

Alex Kustov, or resident Ferrari builder and painting expert, featured that in an old article in Model Cars, and I had to hunt it down here.

I love it, and use it on almost everything now.

Great idea. An accomplished Brazilian model builder named Cesar Bossalini uses a polishing wheel that he buys locally. He has youtube video on the subject. Unfortunately, his supplier does not sell on the internet. I have not found anything soft enough to copy his method. You may have found the answer for me. Thanks for posting this.