Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW bettle kit

I agree with Craig. I lived in Germany from 1969-72. By the time you mailed a VW to the US, there was no point in trying to market the low end cars here. The German Mark was gaining on the US dollar and over that time period the Mark went from 4 to a dollar to less than 2 to a dollar. So the low end cars couldn't compete in the US market.

And as a US military dependent living in Germany, everything doubled in price to us. That put the typical Revell of Germany kit over $10 in the local hobby shop while stateside, kits were still $2.50!

Not so, The so called "Super Beetle" did come out in 1971, but had a 1300 c.c motor (1302), and the 1302S had the 1500 c,c motor, most people, wrongly believe that all Super Beelte's had a larger curved front screen, but these didn't come in until the later 1303 in 1973.

The photo in the catalogue clearly shows the earlier '67 1500, so the listing of a "Super Beelte" looks to be a typo' so it looks like we will just have to wait to see what actually hits the shelves, I shall be keeping my eye on the Revell website with interest, as I actually worked for Volkswagen for a few years.[/quo

The specs are a tiny bit different than in the UK, and Germany. I know them really wel in America. When I got to Germany, It was like I got to learn MORE!!!! Sorry to throw the thread off, but I had an 84, a Sunny Bug. Going from American specs, it had a 1200, which was in a 65, and the bodt of a '73. Ironically, being in Germany, you'd think it would be easy to get parts for it. Was WAY easier to send home for German car parts!

Not so, The so called "Super Beetle" did come out in 1971, but had a 1300 c.c motor (1302), and the 1302S had the 1500 c,c motor, most people, wrongly believe that all Super Beelte's had a larger curved front screen, but these didn't come in until the later 1303 in 1973.

The photo in the catalogue clearly shows the earlier '67 1500, so the listing of a "Super Beelte" looks to be a typo' so it looks like we will just have to wait to see what actually hits the shelves, I shall be keeping my eye on the Revell website with interest, as I actually worked for Volkswagen for a few years.[/quo

The specs are a tiny bit different than in the UK, and Germany. I know them really wel in America. When I got to Germany, It was like I got to learn MORE!!!! Sorry to throw the thread off, but I had an 84, a Sunny Bug. Going from American specs, it had a 1200, which was in a 65, and the bodt of a '73. Ironically, being in Germany, you'd think it would be easy to get parts for it. Was WAY easier to send home for German car parts!

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I have a related question to the topic of a VW Beetle kit. I would like to build a Beetle but detail/modify the engine (e.g., duel Webers, etc.), probably change the wheels to something like Porsche alloys and add/modify some other areas. My question is: Do aftermarket parts exist in 1/16 scale (e.g., for the Revell kit) or would I be better to try detailing the 1/24 scale kits?

I liked the Polar Lights' Hebbie the Love Bug Beetle kit, when I build that. It's back out without the sunroof and with some hooky Spider-man stickers/decals. Without the Spider-man stuff it can be built as a fairly nice stock early 60's Beetle. I think someone recently indicated that Hebbie which this new kit is based on, is a 1963 Beetle?

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I liked the Polar Lights' Hebbie the Love Bug Beetle kit, when I build that. It's back out without the sunroof and with some hooky Spider-man stickers/decals. Without the Spider-man stuff it can be built as a fairly nice stock early 60's Beetle. I think someone recently indicated that Hebbie which this new kit is based on, is a 1963 Beetle?

Scott

Scott, The Spiderman kit also has three complete sets of extra wheels & tires, including Fuchs mags and Porsche-style mags.