Model Cars Magazine Forum

The GLUE BOMB Invitational.

DiscoSpud

Alright guys, a new CBP is up.

The Glue Bomb Invitational. Anyone can join in on the fun, and I'm alowing a whopping 12 months on this one.

Rules: You must start with a glue bomb / paint bomb or somewhat partially tarnished model, preferably one that would otherwise be chucked out.

Otherwise, just go crazy and build whatever you can.

I'm going to be combining a 1990 F250 glue bomb with a 1953 Corvette, also pretty far gone.

This, could get tricky...

Best of luck guys, register now!

I like it! Restoring or restifying "Glue Bombs" is just about my favorite aspect of the hobby. I'll just re-post my last entry to the 'old' CBP board so others can see my thinking on the subject:

"I'm in! I have to see what I can dig up that I haven't already stripped and disassembled... Now I do have a 1965 AMT Corvair annual that I got started on a while back as a replica of my first Corvair, and I took plenty of "In The Works" shots of it since I was planning on posting a restoration photo album on another website (www.Motortopia.com, a general-interest car guy site. I run a model car group on there. Feel free to look me up oin there - My screen name on Motortopia is CorvairJim too). I had to completely replace the rear 3/4 inches of the body because some dumb-@** kid cut it all to hell to install a big V-8 in it! I cut the piece I needed from a donor body to preserve the rest of the annual body, with it's "1965" plate on the front and it's one-year-only 1965-style trim. I've sourced some parts from a donor reissue kit, mostly the chrome and glass because I don't have an airbrush to redo the chrome with Alclad and I'm too lazy to polish out the glass when I have brand new parts available! The 1965-only interior is being reused with the exception of the instrument panel (the Corsa part from the model was wrong for a replica of my Monza-trim level car). I'm using wheel covers that I got in a seperate deal on eBay. I had to use a donor chassis, but I modified it to replicate the way the chassis was configured for the original 1965 release, so it doesn't look like the reissue part anymore.

Of course, if this doesn't fit the guidelines, I can always come up with a "Plan B"... But I'll have to think about it. Whatever the case, the '65 Corvair restoration will continue, and you'll see it "Under Glass" before too long."

If you think the '65 Corvair roject is too far along to qualify (even though I have plenty of as yet unposted "In The Works" photos of it), just let me know and I'll dig something out of the many boxes I have of models I built myself back in the 1970's. Hey, that could be a cool sub-category: Rebuilding your own personal "Glue Bomb"! :)

I'll put my current project in here, and if the other overhauling one goes ahead too, I'll hopefully find something for that one too (provided that I have time etc).

It's a 56 chev that I butchered years ago. I'm trying a bunch of new things (to me) cos the body was shot to hell and I didn't really mind if I stuffed it up. Now it's starting to take shape.

I'll post pics soon of what I started with, and where I'm up to at the moment.

i might have a 56 ford vicky i can use

i started it ages ago and screwed up the paint

when i set it in the pond the body just melted

i shelved it but did get a donor kit in on trade that will need to have the entire body redone

(it is painted, needs to have the A pilar fixed and all the body work redone)

i could consider doing that one...but i dont feel right inviting myself to an "invitational" build

I'm really tempted to join this CBP. Never have participated in one,but I might could manage this one with a years time limit. I'll see if I can dig something up.

count me in on this one lets see if i can get an ebay rebuild in quick enough for this (hopefully the canadian lockout is over!) :rolleyes:

ill let you know here an a week or two ... i gotta check and see what i have to work with if the lockout isn't resolved yet! :D

i might have a 56 ford vicky i can use

i started it ages ago and screwed up the paint

when i set it in the pond the body just melted

i shelved it but did get a donor kit in on trade that will need to have the entire body redone

(it is painted, needs to have the A pilar fixed and all the body work redone)

i could consider doing that one...but i dont feel right inviting myself to an "invitational" build

Consider yourself cordially invited good sir :lol:

I like it! Restoring or restifying "Glue Bombs" is just about my favorite aspect of the hobby. I'll just re-post my last entry to the 'old' CBP board so others can see my thinking on the subject:

"I'm in! I have to see what I can dig up that I haven't already stripped and disassembled... Now I do have a 1965 AMT Corvair annual that I got started on a while back as a replica of my first Corvair, and I took plenty of "In The Works" shots of it since I was planning on posting a restoration photo album on another website (www.Motortopia.com, a general-interest car guy site. I run a model car group on there. Feel free to look me up oin there - My screen name on Motortopia is CorvairJim too). I had to completely replace the rear 3/4 inches of the body because some dumb-@** kid cut it all to hell to install a big V-8 in it! I cut the piece I needed from a donor body to preserve the rest of the annual body, with it's "1965" plate on the front and it's one-year-only 1965-style trim. I've sourced some parts from a donor reissue kit, mostly the chrome and glass because I don't have an airbrush to redo the chrome with Alclad and I'm too lazy to polish out the glass when I have brand new parts available! The 1965-only interior is being reused with the exception of the instrument panel (the Corsa part from the model was wrong for a replica of my Monza-trim level car). I'm using wheel covers that I got in a seperate deal on eBay. I had to use a donor chassis, but I modified it to replicate the way the chassis was configured for the original 1965 release, so it doesn't look like the reissue part anymore.

Of course, if this doesn't fit the guidelines, I can always come up with a "Plan B"... But I'll have to think about it. Whatever the case, the '65 Corvair restoration will continue, and you'll see it "Under Glass" before too long."

If you think the '65 Corvair roject is too far along to qualify (even though I have plenty of as yet unposted "In The Works" photos of it), just let me know and I'll dig something out of the many boxes I have of models I built myself back in the 1970's. Hey, that could be a cool sub-category: Rebuilding your own personal "Glue Bomb"! :lol:

Pretty much all I build as well. Count me in! :lol:

Consider yourself cordially invited good sir :unsure:

I ACCEPT

ill try to get some pics going tomorrow

i have the new body soaking in dot3

it is the wierdest thing, i got these 3 kits in on trade (mainly cos i wanted the 56 ford body) and the paint on all 3 is just gorgeous...the worst of the 3 is still better then anything i ever coloured

but the rest of the build (on all 3) is sub par

odd

oh well

for this build i will be using the chassis and rolling gear as i origenally intended for my build with the body parts and glass from the donor

power will be from a parts pack 427 and rolling stock from a die cast dragster

I ACCEPT

ill try to get some pics going tomorrow

i have the new body soaking in dot3

it is the wierdest thing, i got these 3 kits in on trade (mainly cos i wanted the 56 ford body) and the paint on all 3 is just gorgeous...the worst of the 3 is still better then anything i ever coloured

but the rest of the build (on all 3) is sub par

odd

oh well

for this build i will be using the chassis and rolling gear as i origenally intended for my build with the body parts and glass from the donor

power will be from a parts pack 427 and rolling stock from a die cast dragster

Sounds cool. I math have to go and have a tinker now :unsure:

As promised, here's the first installment of pictures of my '65 Corvair "Glue Bomb" restoration. And it is a restoration in that not every guy who "Overhauls" a car modifies it. Like I said, this will be as true a replica of my first Corvair as I can build. I had better bodies to start from, but since I'm rebadging it from a Corsa to a Monza I thought I'd save the good ones for Corsa buildups. Anyhow, on to the happy snaps. I'll try to add a few every day until I get caught up to where the project stands.

510.jpg

A pretty typical kid-built "Glue Bomb", but...

511.jpg

... Check out the butcher job done to the tail panel to make the big V-8 fit!

512.jpg

513.jpg

This shows how rough the chassis was... How about those rear tires - each one is two of the kit tires joined by white glue and the treads painted black!

514.jpg

I don't know where that rear subframe came from, and I really don't care. This chassis is headed for the parts box. It will be replaced by one from a parts kit. Yes, the engine and transmission WERE glued to the body!

Edited by CorvairJim

As promised, here's the first installment of pictures of my '65 Corvair "Glue Bomb" restoration. And it is a restoration in that not every guy who "Overhauls" a car modifies it. Like I said, this will be as true a replica of my first Corvair as I can build. I had better bodies to start from, but since I'm rebadging it from a Corsa to a Monza I thought I'd save the good ones for Corsa buildups. Anyhow, on to the happy snaps. I'll try to add a few every day until I get caught up to where the project stands.

510.jpg

A pretty typical kid-built "Glue Bomb", but...

511.jpg

... Check out the butcher job done to the tail panel to make the big V-8 fit!

512.jpg

513.jpg

This shows how rough the chassis was... How about those rear tires - each one is two of the kit tires joined by white glue and the treads painted black!

514.jpg

I don't know where that rear subframe came from, and I really don't care. This chassis is headed for the parts box. It will be replaced by one from a parts kit. Yes, the engine and transmission WERE glued to the body!

Oh wow, that kid needs a kick upside the head! Best of luck mate.

I got a rough start today. I'm slowly chopping apart the corvette and f250 to line up pannels. the vette front looks great on there but it needs a lot of modification to look like a custom job and not like it is just a vette grafted onto an f250 :lol:

OK, I got some more done, and have more time to explain what I have done so far.

I've put a donor roof on to this thing after the younger version of me (who deserves a smacking for making this job harder than it needed to be) removed it, badly. The roof has some mods like a minor chop, and I've exended the opening for a sleeker look. This meant that I had to put more styrene into the previous window area, otherwise there'd be no support back there. The rear window will be getting a different look to it as well soon.

I changed the shape of the 56 vent windows to something more like the 58 chev. Still need to do some work there to make it look more realistic.

The chassis is starting to take more shape as well. Kit bashed from the 56 Delray "custom" parts for the front suspension and rear diff complete with disc brakes all round now. Still need to finish off both ends with more suspension parts.

I'll show pics when it lets me attach them.

I'd also like to get in on this one, if I may.

I have a glue bomb old '67(?) Plymouth 4 door model. I believe it was originally a police car kit. Being built originally by a police car modeller with great ideas but little modelling skill, it was pretty rough when I got it (brush painted... maybe with a tooth brush?) none of the parts were properly fitted and there is a lot of excess glue to remove. (But he is a great guy and a good friend!)

I'll post a couple of pics in a day or so.

It's either a Johan or AMT (not 100% sure) but I'll probably find out later. I already pulled it apart and hit the body with "Easy Off" but that's about it. I have no idea right now how I will rebuild a 4dr model.... maybe just a typical period family sedan?

Am I in?

Tony

I'd also like to get in on this one, if I may.

I have a glue bomb old '67(?) Plymouth 4 door model. I believe it was originally a police car kit. Being built originally by a police car modeller with great ideas but little modelling skill, it was pretty rough when I got it (brush painted... maybe with a tooth brush?) none of the parts were properly fitted and there is a lot of excess glue to remove. (But he is a great guy and a good friend!)

I'll post a couple of pics in a day or so.

It's either a Johan or AMT (not 100% sure) but I'll probably find out later. I already pulled it apart and hit the body with "Easy Off" but that's about it. I have no idea right now how I will rebuild a 4dr model.... maybe just a typical period family sedan?

Am I in?

Tony

Welcome to the madness tony, you are in.

Here's the pics that I mentioned earlier. I've had to put them up this way instead by the looks of it.

To give you an idea of what's happened so far, that I didn't mention in my first post for this one.

The body has been sectioned about 2 milimetres through the middle. That then made me take the same off the back end behind the rear wheel arches as they then hung too low. Still need to do some raising of the front as well now. I've added styrene to the headlight areas and I'll be putting 57 chev headlight buckets in. I'll be modifying a "custom" 58 front to replace the original 56 grille etc including making the grille bars. I've also got plans on a 67 mustang front bumper to go on. Still trying to think of a custom style rear bumper, but I'll decide on that later. Might have to try and scratchbuild something, but trying to avoid that if I can just put something else on with only minor mods. I've also changed the vent window area to look more like the 58 chev style.

I think that's all I've done so far. It's progressing slowly. This will be my most modified model once it's finished. A lot of first's for me to get this one done. Which is why I started with the glue bomb in the first place.

This is the extended piece to the back window, and is now the new pillar, as most of the previous one is now gone.

23062011509.jpg

Sideview of the roof changes. Still need some more tidying up for a smoother finish and look. (hopefully)

23062011508.jpg

Rear suspension set up on the new chassis, so far. Still need to add shockers, or air bags etc. This is the stock "custom" delray diff and brake setup. The chrome part is from the parts box. No idea what they are from, possibly the 55 belair "street machine" maybe. As I didn't use very much of the gasser style setup on that one.

23062011506.jpg

Chassis getting closer to being completed. Still need a few more things to be sorted out before I look at painting it.

23062011505.jpg

A quick pic to compare the overall height difference between a standard ride height 56 and the new height.

23062011503.jpg

Still needing a few more touchups to the body work before I can put this into primer and start on an interior. It'll probably be mostly scratch built, using parts box seats etc.

23062011510.jpg

Here's some more shots of my progress on my '65 Corvair restoration:

530.jpg

Well whaddaya know! It was maroon under the purple paint! The first dunking in the Simple Green took it down a layer. Let's see what another night in the bath will do...

533.jpg

Ah, that's better. Now I can see what I have to work with...

531.jpg

... And what's there ain't pretty! The license plate pocket was hacked out to make room for the "front" of theengine, and the air exhaust grille was mangled in the process. That's a problem, since the 1965 Corvair used a one-year-only style of grille. The reissue is a 1969, so I'll have to modify that for the correct appearance.

543.jpg

A comparison between the rear of the donor body and the "Bomb" You can see the difference in the air exhaust grille - it's two small grilles on the '65 and one larger one on the newer body.

540.jpg

Now simply cut on the dotted line (Or in this case, the edge of the masking tape!)...

544.jpg

... And this is what you come out with.

546.jpg

After adding a pair of thin reinforcement panels inside the engine bay cut to the contours of the quarter panels (to make finishing it easier), I attached the new rear clip. I had the engine lid from the donor kit taped in place during the process to make alignment easier. On the bad side, the finished model won't have the molded-in "1965" in the license plate pocket. On the GOOD side, I'll have a computer-generated copy of the actual license plate the car had on it when I owned it on there instead!

535.jpg

I thought I'd throw in a shot of the disassembled interior tonight too. Not too much to work with here, but the basic bucket is salvagable. I'll be replacing the "Corsa" dashboard (only available in the 1965 and '66 annual kits and never reissued) with the 3-gauge unit from the '69 Monza reissue since the 1:1 car was a Monza, not a Corsa. (I already have a project in mind for the Corsa part) The package shelf is M.I.A., but I'll graft the one from the donor kit in later on. The seats obviously came from a different kit - I'll have to dig up a set of correct 1965 Corvair buckets from my spares. Hey, how about that console, complete with a TV? Just what you need in your V-8 powered Corvair drag car, right?

518.jpg

Some of this may find it's way to the parts box, but most of it is junk. Two questions: 1) Can anyone identify that engine? And 2) Can anyone USE that engine??? :lol:

516.jpg

How's this for a bonus? Six, count 'em SIX authentic sixties-vintage AMT 13" whitewalls! (Two pairs had been joined with white glue and painted black to make the car's drag slicks. They came apart easily and cleaned right up! That ring in the middle is the glue that held one set together.) Four of them will be going on this model, and I already have plans for the other two.