Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT/Ertl Peterbuilt 359, kit # 31005

Hi gang, I'm new here, have followed your site for a while and finally registered. my question is: Has anyone else who built or is building the kit 31005 AMT/ertl Peterbuilt 359 noticed a discrepancy in the plans? I'm working on the frame now and am trying to build the Duel truck as much from scratch as possible. But when I started to attached the front leaf springs I noticed the plans do not match up with the way the springs should go on. Am I doing this wrong or did AMT mess up in drawing the plans up?

If this isn't the correct place to ask this please let me know. I will try to follow all the rules here. thanks for any help.

There should be a hole in the very front of the frame where the tab on the front spring hangar/ Radiator mount fits. the angle of the nose of the frame, and the radiator mount should line up. Hope this helps! I know Tim, our resident Pete Guru can sure help! Lol

Thanks CDA. I started attaching the front leaf springs to the frame rails and noticed they really didn't look right so I had a T501 model and looked at those plans. That's when I noticed the front frame rails angle differently on each different model. The 31005 angles upward on their plans but the T501 angles downward. Plus the attachmnent for the cab support is always drawn differently. I just wonder if whoever drew the plans had it wrong and the die makers went ahead as the plans showed. Bottom line is now I have to attach the springs with the frame rails pointed upward.

Also, I've got former copies of guys who did the Duel truck and one article states that the tag axle was on the Duel truck but most models I've seen on-line look like the ndon't have that, merely what the kit offers. I built from scratch a tag axle out of Evergren stock last night and am asking if I should use this on my model. Appreciate the help.

Also are you stationed at my old Army base? Spent a lot of years with the 82d.

Jim

Edited by skysoldier46

Well the only thing I really see different is the angle of the frame rails but I can handle that. Appreciate the answer John. :D In answer to Charles the hole on the right side of the frame in front lines up but the left doesn't. merely a matter of emlarging that hole a 'little'. the rest I can deal with.

And I will post 3 of the rigs I have built from scratch if I can find that forum. I like this site :)

John I have that resin 'Iron Horse' already. I'm going to do the 'cut and modify' a Pete 359 to make it a 281 like in the movie. there has to be something in my genes that just won't allow me to make a standard model out of the box. ;)

Edited by skysoldier46

Lookin forward to pics. There were 3 trucks used to film Dual only 1 survives today at least 1 had a single and tag set up which was pretty common in those days. There have been resin cabs of the correct model of Pete over the years but I don't think any are current. Tim is definitly the are Pete expert here maybe he can weigh in. There is plenty of info on the web about the Dual truck.

I plan on building the one that went over the cliff from the movie, I think that one was a 1955 281. I have a few early T500 models that I'll use to make one complete model. I'm working on the trailer now and have noticed a difference in the undercarriage on models I've see around the internet. All have axles in the rear and since I don't know that much about what the names are called, the attachment for the truck is standard. But in the movie the truck that went over the cliff I saw a lattice style frame work that ran all the way to the rear of the trailer. Anyone know whether the trailer had a frame underneath?

I do have parts made and pics taken and I'll post some when a more finished model is done. Thanks for the help guys.

Jim

maybe I should have placed this post in the forum for under construction rigs, if so can a mod move it?

Edited by skysoldier46

Well the only thing I really see different is the angle of the frame rails but I can handle that. Appreciate the answer John. :D In answer to Charles the hole on the right side of the frame in front lines up but the left doesn't. merely a matter of emlarging that hole a 'little'. the rest I can deal with.

And I will post 3 of the rigs I have built from scratch if I can find that forum. I like this site :)

John I have that resin 'Iron Horse' already. I'm going to do the 'cut and modify' a Pete 359 to make it a 281 like in the movie. there has to be something in my genes that just won't allow me to make a standard model out of the box. ;)

Share some progress pics? :D

Okee dokee, here are the first pics from my build. On the front axle I went ahead and drilled holes thru them, cut he parts free and inserted .040 Evergreen Rod, did the same thing for the steering rod and now the front wheels can be turned. hopefully I can make the entire steering work thru the steering wheel. The bulkheads were cut to shape, inserts cut out with my Dremel tool to accept 24" lengths of Evergreen strip for support. The rear part of the trailer I cut bulkheads out in diminishing sizes, then glued them together and filled that with tamiya putty and sanded down to the correct shape as far as I could tell from pics of the real trailer. And I went ahead and cut the hood down to become the 281 hood. I will cut it out also for a butterfly hood.

I'm flipping back and forth from thec cab to the frame and I have to tell you, the instruction sheets from the 359 AMT/ERTL and the original T500 are totally different in the drawings. But I'll figure it all out eventually.

post-10788-0-64807400-1352559998_thumb.j

post-10788-0-93512600-1352560048_thumb.j

post-10788-0-80106000-1352560099_thumb.j

Okee dokee, here are the first pics from my build. On the front axle I went ahead and drilled holes thru them, cut he parts free and inserted .040 Evergreen Rod, did the same thing for the steering rod and now the front wheels can be turned. hopefully I can make the entire steering work thru the steering wheel. The bulkheads were cut to shape, inserts cut out with my Dremel tool to accept 24" lengths of Evergreen strip for support. The rear part of the trailer I cut bulkheads out in diminishing sizes, then glued them together and filled that with tamiya putty and sanded down to the correct shape as far as I could tell from pics of the real trailer. And I went ahead and cut the hood down to become the 281 hood. I will cut it out also for a butterfly hood.

I'm flipping back and forth from thec cab to the frame and I have to tell you, the instruction sheets from the 359 AMT/ERTL and the original T500 are totally different in the drawings. But I'll figure it all out eventually.

Lookin good so far! keep us posted?

I will. I have tried for over an hour now to download some pics of 2 old Mack trucks I built out of the box with some scratchbuilt parts but nothing is happening. I tried the basic downloader to no avail and even installed Flash8 and still that little twirling thing just kept on twirling. :blink: maybe I'll try later once my confusion settles down. ;)